Hufflepuff Common Room

The Mystery Machine Discussion 2: You in the Group

Prof. Sirius Fudge

The first city had gone by. The van is now rolling towards the second one. With that, the discussion revolved towards another topic. You and the group dynamics.

What are you most like in a road trip in a van? Are you the talker, the listener? The one in-charge of games, of good entertainment? The sleeper, the silent eater, the reader? The main character silently looking at the window? 

In addition, how do you behave in a ghost hunting trip? How did you fare at our night adventures in the first city? Were you the one fearlessly leading the pack? The one anxious holding the flashlight? The one at the rear end of the group, making sure everything was normal from the back? The one noisy and playing pranks? 

You get 5 diamonds for posting in this thread until November 2 end of day HOL time.

I will start.

In this particular trip, I started strictly observing the students, making sure they behave, counting their numbers every now and then, making sure everyone is well accounted for. But then, the dance party started, of which I participated a bit, but ended up in a window seat, already tired after a few songs. -_- It looked like I would let loose as the journey would go on. In general, a silent observer with occasional teacher mode moments, counting again and again and again. Oh, the hands of the van for sure. Occupying the middle position, I would be the one passing the snacks, the bags, etc. 

As for the ghost adventures the first two nights, I guarded the rear end. I tend to navigate towards that direction. I make sure that no one is missing, shushing some students every now and then. After all, I like the silence at the back end, nourishing and preparing me for the hustle middle position in the van after the adventure ends.

Your turn! :cheer: 

• Like 2

Road trip -- It depends on the topic of conversation, whether I participate or not. Most likely I'm listening to the various viewpoints and experiences of those who are wanting to talk.

Ghost hunting trip - I have my wand at the ready. I've encountered ghosts, poltergeists and various and sundry 'unusual' creatures and 'persons', and have no particular fear of them, but am wary of what they can do, especially to those who are unaware of the mischiefs and/or evil things that can happen to them, even if they haven't particularly warranted or provoked said experiences (other than by going to a known 'haunted' place and simply being alive). So I guess I'm mostly backing Sirius up, and being alert.   :badger:  :excl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I can't be the listener. :P But I'm not much of a talker either unless people strike up a conversation. I'm usually either the sleeper, eater, or the reader. Since this trip of ours is kind of spooky and perhaps dangerous at times, I'll be reading up on locations we'll be visiting if I can suss something out about spooky spirits. That's also connected to the second set of questions. I'm mostly the thinker or the strategist. How to make sure to prevent any bad stuff happening by tricking spirits rather than facing them head-on.

• Like 3

I might have been the silent, staring out the window in thought type, but I am a good listener and kept up with the conversations running around. I love to watch the scenery change and go like a missive art piece with so much detail to look at. At our first ghost event, I fairly tried to keep up with the group. Positioning myself within the group. I tent to be extremely sensitive to things beyond the vail, especially regarding physical touch and I tend to be jumpy. Don't want to lag behind and then hit the nearest to me with my stick. Also I screamed when something touched my arm, Apologies for those I scared... :wacko: Quite happy I got a stick and not a wand, might have broken mine. :lol:

• Like 3

As we set out on our road trip in the van, I find myself assuming the role of the silent observer. I watch the scenery go by, lost in my own thoughts, and occasionally taking in the chatter around me. While I'm not opposed to participating in games or good entertainment, I tend to stay on the sidelines and let others take the lead. As for food, I'm a quiet eater, preferring to savor the flavors and textures in silence.

But when it comes to ghost hunting trips, I surprise even myself. I am no longer the silent observer, but the fearlessly leading the pack. I am drawn to the eerie, the mysterious, and the unknown, eager to uncover what lies beyond. In the first city, I held the flashlight firmly in my grip, scanning the shadows for any hint of movement. I wasn't afraid, but I wasn't reckless either. I stayed vigilant, always on the lookout for anything that might indicate we were not alone.

It's funny how different situations bring out different sides of us. In the van, I am content to sit quietly and watch the world go by. But in the dark, where the shadows lurk and the unknown waits to be discovered, I come alive. It's the thrill of the chase, the adrenaline coursing through my veins, that propels me forward. I may be a silent eater, but in the realm of ghost hunting, I am anything but quiet.

• Like 3

I am definitely the goofy follower. I do not lead, however I will always have a joke or something goofy to say about every situation. I am also obsessed with ghosts and spooky historic things, so I will probably also have some fun facts to go along with the sights we are seeing, as I like to go my research before traveling anywhere!

• Like 3

On a road trip in a van, I am the listener, eager to hear the stories and conversations of the other riders.

In addition, I'm also the one in-charge of games and entertainment, suggesting activities and ways to keep the rest of the van occupied. However, I do enjoy silently observing the landscape outside the window too, as well as occasional reader who enjoys a good book while passing the time. 

During a ghost hunt, I am the anxious one whose survival instincts are left in the car and only come out when another is in need of help, don't ask me why I wouldn't know either. I'd be holding a flashlight and carefully scanning my surroundings for signs of the paranormal. Definitely not in the back, maybe at the front if there's someone next to me, but at all times other people should be close or I'm running away. 

• Like 3

In the car, I'm mostly a quiet listener but depending on the conversation I can also be a bit of a talker (if I ever start being too much, let me know).

On the haunt, I'd be the one the most reluctant to go into the haunted building. I'm super scared about accidentally upsetting spirits and will quite possibly just stay with the van as the like "equipment guy" haha. Or if I do go inside I'll be stuck to the side of one person the whole time and most likely apologizing for disturbing the spirits whenever something happens.

• Like 3

I'm always up to play a group game on a road trip, but otherwise, I'll probably be reading in my seat (probably in an awkward sitting position that I will later regret). I know a lot of people struggle to read in the car and get travel sick, but fortunately for me, that's never been an issue, and I read more when travelling than anywhere else!

• Like 3

For most of my life I was getting sick in a bus or a car and now that I am older, this has now stopped. However, sometimes there is still a moment when I do not feel good at all. Therefore, for a long road trip, you can always find me sitting there quietly with my earbuds on. Sometimes I even take a nap :D

• Like 3

Though I love a good road trip, I don’t come unprepared. I make sure that I have plenty of snacks and food, not just for me, but for everyone— there’s nothing worse than being in a car hungry. Then, I make sure we have plenty of entertainment. Games we can all (safely) play on the trip, playlists to listen to, books to read when we get bored, movies to watch— and of course, those would have to be Halloween themed! Even though I may have everything we need, I’ll mostly keep to myself, not wanting to bother anyone. But everyone knows that I’d be down to play a game or watch a movie— all they have to do is ask!

• Like 2

Except for helping Fels with the route while driving, I was a silent eater and listener for the most part when we were in the van. However, I was also the one in-charge of navigation, route planning, and scouting to make sure the path ahead is safe during our adventure.

I always made sure that my compass, map, torch, flares, hunting knife and wand were ready to use at a moment’s notice so that I could access them whenever we needed to plan something fast or when I was scouting ahead and something attacked me.

• Like 1