Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Korea- Week 3 - Dress Up

So real life has been in my way lately, but I should have the regular event stuff up by Wednesday night at the latest. 

But for now, I won't leave you empty handed. To get us started this week, I have found a few dress up games, that feature classic Korean fashion or Hanbok. These two specifically pull their designs from the K-Drama "Queen Seondeok" who was herself a real person. So make a doll (either one), and post it below here for 15 diamonds. Make sure to follow HOL image posting rules.

Korean Queen Dress Up

Korean Warrior Dress Up

If you don't care to do a doll, or you have trouble with the doll makers, then you can instead share a fact about the real queen Seondeok. Just make sure your post is at least 75 words and you can earn 15 diamonds as well.

And if you choose to do both...then I guess I can do 30 diamonds altogether!

Either way, make sure to post before 11:59 HOL time, July 31st.

• Like 1

9RlJuAP.png

I hope this is factual because when I searched for Queen Seondeok, my hits were primarily of Korean drama variety.

I quite like the legend of peonies and their relation to the Queen. They're often equated with her wisdom and insight all because when she saw a painting of peonies (either as a child or an adult, stories don't agree), Queen Seondeok remarked that they mustn't smell beautiful because there are no bees or butterflies on the painting.

Quite insightful and not something I'd make a connection to if I saw that painting.

• Like 1

EC7Q735.png

Queen Seondeok reigned as Queen of Silla (a province of Korea) from 632 to 647.  It should be noted that she was the first woman ever to act in this capacity.  Way to break the glass ceiling, Queenie!  Taking a cue from her English counterpart, Queen Elizabeth I, Seondeok strongly supported literature and the arts and greatly encouraged artisans of that period to flourish. Additionally, she also encouraged balance between Korea's divergent religious groups.

Despite her inclusive and rather benevolent viewpoints, her reign was a particularly violent one.  Rebellions and fighting in the neighboring kingdom of Baekje was a constant source of trouble for the poor Queen, though she did her best to maintain peace in Sila.  Much to her credit, she kept the kingdom together somehow and extended its ties to China, sending scholars there to learn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two different accounts have been said of Queen Seondok's unusual ability to perceive events before they occurred. The first one involves her hearing the croaking of a hoard of white frogs by the Jade Gate pond in the winter. When she heard this, she thought it to mean an impending attack from the Kingdom of Baekche (hoard of "angry" frogs) from the southwest (white standing for the west in astronomy). She sent her generals to the Woman's Valley (the Jade Gate) and successfully caught 2,000 Baekche soldiers. This account illustrates her perceptive abilities and her wisdom to interpret it properly.

The second case involves her predicting the exact day and almost the minute of her death at 37 years old.

https://imgur.com/a/BhCF2Eg