Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Dogs - Week 1 - Borzoi Discussion

The Borzoi is also known as the Russian Wolfhound, the Russian Hunting Sighthound and Russkaya psovaya borzaya.

They were developed as a breed in the sixteenth century, in Russia.

I don't want to write a lot about them in here right now; this topic is intended for you to tell us if you have ever heard of the breed before, and give us one interesting fact and/or factoid about this fascinating dog.  (Later on I can delve into histories and facts about the Borzoi, this is your turn!)

Answer in here with at least 150 words, by the end of May, HOL time, and earn 25 Diamonds.

:reading: 

If you include a graphic in your write-up, please remember to keep it to 600x600 or smaller. Thank you.

I've heard about the breed before! I even slightly knew what they looked like, mostly because they have that long snout and look very weird, but charmingly so, if they're photographed from the front.

What's interesting about these hunting dogs is that they're sighthounds. That means they rely on sight and spring speed to catch their prey, which mostly consisted of wolves, foxes, and rabbits. Opposed to most breeds that hunt by scent.

Their coat comes in many colors, around 9 and the mixes between them and it's long, medium dense, and wavy. If you want to keep good care of this breed, you need to brush frequently with a hard bristle brush so that they're comfortable. The Borzoi shed more extensively for several weeks once a year, and more regular grooming is required at this time. Baths on a regular basis maintain the Borzoi clean and in top condition.

Despite the borzoi having existed since around the 16th century, the AKC (American Kennel Club) only recognized the breed in 1891

• Like 1

I had never heard of the Borzoi dog breed before this, though they seem adorable! One fact I have found in my research of the breed is that they're sighthounds, which means they search and hunt for their prey using their eyes. I've never heard of sighthounds, so I'm learning quite a lot. This is very different from breeds like Beagles, which are called scenthounds and use their noses instead to search and hunt for prey. Despite this breed being sighthounds, with the proper training, they can also use scent as a means of tracking. If you choose to train this breed for such, it has been shown that positive training techniques are the most effective for them. As one may guess, this breed is very intelligent and active, so they need lots of engagement and exercise, though it's recommended to do so on a leash since their instinct to chase can be intense.

• Like 1

Actually the Borzoi is my favourite breed :D

The adult males can get 28 Inches high and weight between 75 and 105 pounds. The breed was developed in Russia, and they say in has a noble heritage and is associated with the aristocracy. I also associate these dogs with Art Deco. The Borzoi need enough exercise to be in good condition (because they were bred for hunting and running games). Optimal is to let them run free for above 30 minutes. They are also good companions if they are raised with children.

For hunts, around 100 dogs were taken to catch, for example, a wolf. If the wolf got caught, often the man relieves him free so that the hunt could continue the next time. This sport was very popular in Russia until the 1860s when the serfdom was prohibited. From then on, the couldn't afford such outgoings like this and the Borzoi breed almost died out, but few fanciers saved them.

• Like 1

Borzois are also known as Russian Hunting Sighthound and until 1936 they were known as the Russian Wolfhound.

Borzois originated in the sixteenth century Russia by crossing Saluki and European Sighthounds with thick-coated Russian breeds. The Borzois were also popular with the Tsars before the 1917 revolution.

An interesting fact about this breed is their historical significance in Russian culture. Borzois were highly esteemed by Russian aristocracy and were often kept as hunting companions by the nobility. They were specifically bred for hunting wolves, hares, and other game across the vast Russian landscape. Borzois are known for their unique physical characteristics, such as their long, slender bodies, silky coats, and distinctive curved noses.

Another fascinating aspect of Borzoi history is their association with Russian literature and art. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, Borzois became symbolic of aristocratic elegance and grace in Russian literature and art. They were frequently depicted in paintings, sculptures, and literature, showcasing their literary and cultural importance.

• Like 1

I have heard of this dog before, and I even knew that their fur can be a little curly or wavy. I was quite surprised about how long their legs seem to be in the photos. That was something I wasn't aware of from before. Either way, they seem like beautiful dogs.

One interesting fact that I found in my research was that the Borzoi dogs used to be very popular with the Tsars of Russia before the 1917 revolution, and for centuries the only way to get a Borzoi dog was to receive one as a gift from the Tsar himself, you couldn't just purchase one if you wanted one. 

The name is also interesting. As Prof. Black said in the intro, the full Russian name for these dogs is Russkaya psovaya borzaya. Let's have a look at these words and their meanings. It's actually a series of descriptive adjectives. "Russkaya" is the feminine form of the adjective "russian", while "psovaya" is derived from a word that means "wavy, silky coat". 

Some of you might also have noticed that the word "Borzoi" isn't obviously part of the Russian name... except it is! The adjective "borzaya" means "fast", and a basic Russian term for any sighthound is "borzaya sobaka", which means "fast dog." Then, when the breed was named, the word "sobaka" was dropped, but it's still implied and therefore all the adjectives in the names are all in the feminine form, because "sobaka" is a feminine noun. As you probably guessed after this, "Borzoi" is the masculine form of the adjective that appears as "borzaya" in the full Russian name. However, when the adjective is used on its own, it appears in masculine form.

So, essentially, the Russian name of these dogs means "russian, wavy-silky-coated fast dogs." How is that for a name? :)

• Like 1

I went a different route to finding facts about the Borzoi. I have heard of the breed, but truthfully never really saw what they looked like, and honestly to me, it wouldn't;t be a breed I would want. But there were many famous people who used the dog as an "accessory"., though now the famous tend to go for the smaller dogs.

Many famous people from the 20's and beyond... that's the 1920's and beyond,  owned Borzois. There was Mary Pickford, Jean Harlow, Mae West, Olive Thomas, Lola Negri, Greta Garbo, Ethel Barrymore, Carroll Baker, Olivia de Havilland and I think the most famous would be the Russian Romanov family.

The bred was popular with the Tzar before the 1917 Revolution.The saddest fact I found while doing research on this breed is that during the Russian Revolution many of the dogs were killed because of their association with the Tzar. 

• Like 1