Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Happiness in Animals - Week 3.1 - Jigsaw

It is already Week 3! We are now on the week of jokes! Animal jokes, specifically. Let us follow HOL rules in our activities this week. Respect to everyone, animals and humans alike. Researching on this topic, I came across a study which has information on the persistence of animal jokes in history. Below are some excerpts from the paper:

Defining joke, “a joke is primarily a short, fictional story with a surprising punch line at the end whose goal is to create a humorous effect in the audience/readers/viewers. It can be considered a text type or a discourse genre, so the focus is on either the linguistic form or the communicative function.”

According to the paper, “there are many reasons for the general appeal of animal jokes. The dialogue of a prototypical animal joke is carried out between animals (i.e. inter-animal communication) or between one (or more) animal(s)and one (or more) person(s) (i.e. human–animal communication).

Two of the main characteristics of animal jokes are that they emphasize or even exaggerate the most salient features of animals (the slowness of the snail, the long neck of the giraffe, etc.), and they anthropomorphize animals. Some animal jokes zoomorphize instead: for instance, humans can understand or speak the “language” of animals, behave like an animal”, etc.

Given that scholarly context of our approach in understanding and learning more about animal jokes (you can read the whole paper in the link below for a greater comprehension on the subject), below is a link to a jigsaw puzzle containing a joke that I hope would succeed in making you smile. Solve the jigsaw and reply the solved image in this thread (no greater than 600x600 pixels, please) not later than end of April HOL time to earn 30 diamonds. Enjoy and have fun!

CLICK HERE!

References:

https://www.academia.edu/74606987/Semantic_and_Pragmatic_Mechanisms_of_Humour_in_Animal_Jokes

• Like 1