Hufflepuff Common Room

The HoH is Away! Thread 1 BOGGLE CORNER

Fels is away so this is a sad time for the Sett. Without the HoH, the house has been entrusted to Tarma. Quoting Tarma,

Screenshot-2024-01-22-210448.png

Permission has been granted! :confetti:

As part of our PARTY TIME!, one corner is devoted to board games or related to board games, yeah. I present you the 

BOGGLE CORNER!

Everyone is invited to join the BOGGLE game. Why BOGGLE? Fels had been the BOGGLE champion the last time it was played in the Sett. No one can beat her unfortunately. And BOGGLE had not been fun with her always taking the top prize. BUT, with Fels away, we can crown a new champion! So for this one game, who can win the top prize?! I now present you our BOGGLE picture.

Screenshot-2024-01-22-210102.png

The picture above is our BOGGLE game. You will form words by connecting the letters in the image, diagonally included. You can also repeat the letters you already used. But you have to connect the letters so you cannot repeat the same letter used. Your words need to be four letters and above. You can list the words as many as you can. You have until January 31st to submit your list to me (Prof. Sirius Fudge) in a Sett PM. You only have one chance to submit a list. The first list you submit is your final submission.

I hope you understand the instructions. For questions, you may reply here in this thread. 

Below is the scoring mechanics. Your words are scored as follows: 

4 letters - 1 point

5 letters - 2 points

6 letters - 3 points

7 letters or more - 5 points

The list with the greatest number of points earned wins the game. For words to be considered valid for scoring, it should be in the Merriam Webster encyclopedia online. I have the final decision with regards to the scoring of the words.

Now, for the prizes, see below.

Prizes are given to all participants, but TOP 5 will earn their deserved additional goodies.

All participants: 30 diamonds (if approved) :lol::coffee::halo:

Top 5: Additional 30 diamonds and 500 beans from yours truly

Top 4: Additional 30 diamonds and 1000 beans from yours truly

Top 3: Additional 30 diamonds and 3000 beans from yours truly 

Top 2: Additional 30 diamonds and 5000 beans from yours truly

Champion: Additional 30 diamonds, 10000 beans from yours truly, and Sett BOGGLE Champion title until the next tournament

All HOL rules apply for this thread and game. Let us play fair and square, and of course, have fun!

Now let us see what more mayh, uhmm, activities unfold until January31. *applies invisibility spell for Fels' eyes though I am sure this would not fool the HoH*

:wub:

• Like 4

Dibyarup, good question. Yes, you must always Qu together for this game. And they are counted as two letters. Hope this helps. :)

And... 5 days to go before Fels comes back. Submit your word lists. So far, I have received submissions from:

Evie Figg

Scarlet Robloutain

:cheer:

P.S. Scarlet, it is also one of my favorite games growing up. Nostalgic playing this from childhood to high school.

• Like 3

Reminding you all that you only have around 1 day to submit your boggle word list. Submit them to me before end of January HOL time. :)

Submissions received from:

Artemisia Thorne

Dibyarup James Potter

Evie Figg

Janne Halla

Lex Green

River Fenwick

Scarlet Robloutain

Viviana Kingston

:broom:

• Like 2

The Boggle game was intense. It brought out the competition among our participants. Nine have participated and one of them is our new Sett Boggle champion. 

The nine participants, earning 30 diamonds each, are:

Artemisia Thorne

Dibyarup James Potter

Evie Figg

Janne Halla

Lex Green

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

River Fenwick

Scarlet Robloutain

Viviana Kingston

And, announcing the TOP 5, earning additional 30 diamonds, are:

Artemisia Thorne

Dibyarup James Potter

Janne Halla

River Fenwick

Viviana Kingston

In 5th place, with 82 points, and earning 500 beans:

River Fenwick

In 4th place, with 86 points, earning 1000 beans:

Artemisia Thorne

4th and 5th places are close, too close.

In 3rd place, with 99 points, earning 3000 beans:

Viviana Kingston

In 2nd place, with 129 points, earning 5000 beans:

Dibyarup James Potter

And our champion, with whopping 163 points, earning 10000 beans:

Janne Halla

Janne has utilized the same letters more than once in the words formed, as mentioned in the instruction. Also, the game was flexible in the sense that all words found in the online Merriam-Webster dictionary are considered, making proper nouns, geographical names, and other types available for scoring. Good game, everyone! Thanks for arranging the letters alphabetically, makes things easier for me. Awesome work!

Congratulations, everyone! :broom:

• Like 3