Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Happiness in Animals - Week 3.3 - Ideation Session

Of course, we would want to have our animals laugh with us in our jokes session. Maybe they can also share their human jokes and we can also laugh with them. Have you ever wondered how the animals laugh? What is the sound of their laugh? How do we represent the sound of their laugh? How do we spell it? There may be known laughing sounds and spellings for some animals. But there are still a lot of other animals without the known sounds.

For 30 diamonds, participate in this ideation thread where we think of the laughing sounds made by some animal species and propose ways to represent these sounds or spell them, complete with punctuation symbols to express further the sound. Think of three (3) animal species, write their laughing sounds (spelling and punctuation symbols), and a short explanation of your answers. There are no right or wrong answers for these. Reply your answers here in this thread before end of April HOL time. Be reminded to follow HOL rules.

• Like 1

I've written about killer whales laughing before, so I imagine their laughter to be best represented by a clicking noise, since they can't really use their mouths like land-based mammals and the blowhole as the nose.

click click click click - for small laughs

CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! *blowhole exhale* - for that 'belly' laughter that we humans have

For avian species, such as ravens, I'd imagine a mix of 'caws' but in a human 'ha ha' way, since that's their primary sound. Not to mention, they're capable of mimicking human laughter, so I think that'd fit with more human-like intonation.

Caw! Caw! Caw! Caaaaaw! - for hahaha type of sound

Ca! Ca! Caa! - for sarcastic laughter

As for rats, I'd imagine they do little chirps or squeaks that we associate with rodents.

chirp chirp SQUEAK! - unexpected laughter

• Like 1

A hyena's laugh is higher pitched and sounds relatively human-like, so I'd describe it as a fast bursts of "hee-hee-he!".

A laughing gull's laugh is very loud, emphasizing the last part of the laugh. Being a bird, I'd describe it more as an "aH. aHH!" sound, louder and intensified if it's defending something.

A giant ape's laugh is low and almost like a breathy chuckle, so I'd describe it as a "hur, hur, hur."

• Like 1

1) Dolphin:
Laughing Sound: "Eee!  Eee!  Eee!"

Explanation: Dolphins are known for their playful and social behaviour, often making high-pitched vocalizations that sound like giggles or chuckles. 

2) Hyena:
Laughing Sound: "Hoo!  Hnoo-Hnoo-Hnoo!  Hoo!  Hoo!"

Explanation: Hyenas are famous for their distinctive laughing vocalizations, often heard during social interactions or when excited. Their laughter is often described as contagious, resembling a series of "Hoo" and "Hnoo" sounds.

3) Gorilla:
Laughing Sound: "Hooh!  Hooh!  Hooh!  Hooh!"

Explanation: Gorillas exhibit laughter-like vocalizations during playful or relaxed interactions, often accompanied by chest-beating or other gestures. Their laughter is characterized by deep "Hooh" sounds.

P.S.: This is one of the best Wonders of the World events that I have participated in. The tasks are so very unique, fun and engaging. Love them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is this? No one wrote of the Kookaburra?

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bush is he.

Laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra, gay your life must be.

I do not take credit for this onomatopoeia  --    the call of the kookaburra --     guuguubarra

Donkeys ....

yeeeeee HAAAAAAAAAAAA    yeeeeeEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWW     eeeeeeeeeeEEEEE HAAAWWWW  HAWWWWW   HAAAAAWWWWWWW

(from listening to them)

I do not know if it is laugher, per se, but it is very funny (sometimes) to hear it!  :lol:   

Road Runners

Okay, this doesn't precisely fit the criteria, Sirius!  But I did immediately think of road runners.  They really do NOT make a 'Beep beep!' sound (or 'Meep meep!')  Their sound is something of a cooing sound, sort of like a dove.  Cooooo   Cooooooo  Cooooo.   This isn't funny, really, but what if they were cooing at the sound that two-leggers make when the two-leggers SEE road runners and say 'beep beep!' to them?   And that 'coo' sound was actually them laughing?  :D  

• Haha 1

Genius answers, everyone. First read: Interesting! Second read: *nods* Makes sense! Impressive, everyone! :thumbz: 30 diamonds go to:

Dibyarup James Potter

Janne Halla

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

River Fenwick

P.S. Tarma, we know that we accept the lot. ^_^

• Like 1