Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Happiness in Animals - Week 2.2 - Discussion

Animals associated with mischief are mostly the same animals tagged as intelligent creatures. Some of them are listed below:

Chimpanzees – Humans and chimpanzees share about 99% of the same genomes, explaining the intelligence and mischief they display. They are capable of using tools and solving problems.

Raccoons – Their appearance look like masked bandits, adding to their mischievous character. They are able to maneuver through obstacles and can pick locks.

Octopus – Their ability to squeeze themselves in and out of small and tight places are mischievous for sure.

Crows – They can recognize human faces and solve complex problems. They learn from experience and avoid paths deemed dangerous and previously killed other crows. They bring gifts to people who feed them.

Pigs – They are neat animals and can understand human emotions. They can also solve complex games and mazes. They don’t sweat so they need another way to regulate their body temperature, hence their use of muds to cover their bodies to stay cool.

Elephants – They are intelligent creatures and use their trunks for some mischief. They suck up water and squirt it at people and other animals. Mischievous, right? They commonly bring down electric poles and electric fences. They have amazing memories.

I only listed 6 of these intelligent and mischievous animals but there are a lot more of them. In this activity, in a minimum of 100 words, identify at least one mischief animal and describe their deeds or adventures of mischief, displaying their intelligence. If you have less than 100 words, you can also provide a picture (not greater than 600x600 pixels, please) or a link to a video displaying the mischievous character of the animal species you discussed about. You have until end of April HOL time to reply here in this thread your submission to earn 30 diamonds. Follow HOL rules. Kindly provide the references you utilized in this activity.

References:

https://wildlifeinformer.com/mischievous-animals/

https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/68716/what-natural-animal-could-represent-a-goddess-of-chaos-and-entropy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dogs are said to be man's best friend, and with good reason. Not only are they very loyal as companions and protectors, they are also increasingly intelligent and incredibly mischievous creatures. This popular animal is very social and loves their human companions. They have high energy levels and their desire to be around their people at all times causes them to make a lot of mischief. While different breeds of these cute canines have different levels of intelligence, they are on an average highly ranked among creatures, in order of intelligence. They are capable of learning a surprising amount of things including obeying commands, fetching objects, finding something (police dogs) and even performing their daily tasks like using the toilet in a proper way like humans, with the help of good training. The average IQ of a dog is estimated at 100. It is believed that the average dog can learn about 160-200 words. Various studies suggest that a dog's IQ is similar to a two-year-old child's. They are like a two-year-old child or sometimes more in terms of understanding, their interaction with people, and their emotional intelligence. Dogs are also known to recognize danger and malicious people, with a penchant for sniffing out shifty characters with bad intent. They recognize good people and bond well with them. I last remember watching a few cool movies about dogs, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and my favorite was certainly "The Duke" (1999) as well as "A Dog Named Duke" released in 2012, both of which obviously included a lot of dog mischief besides showcasing their intelligence throughout the movie. Our favorite family pets are obviously very mischievous and they steal food directly from their owner's plates or from their favorite human's table or straight from the fridge itself if they are a smarter variety and chew our toys and shoes and think everything is a bone and dig up holes everywhere and chase rabbits when we go for picnics giving us a good time and a bad time at the same time. They try to break free from their bonds and bark at other pups and dogs, and try to escape when we take them out for walks. Besides, they are also adorable and lovely companions who guard us fiercely and protect us from danger, including staying awake all night to bark at thieves, potential thieves, (as well as non-thieves : P).

Sources: https://www.pupvine.com/average-iq-of-a-dog/

• Like 2

One animal that is both intelligent and mischievous is a dolphin! There are some debates about dolphin intelligence due to the structure of their brain, but they possess cognitive abilities such as problem-solving skills, complex social interactions, and the ability to experience grief. Dolphins are known to play with plants and other animals. For example, seagrass can be passed between their body parts and between individuals as a way to play. They have also churned water to generate a vortex and then blow a bubble of air into it to create an underwater ring. Dolphins also stir up a bit of mischief by chasing, play-fighting, and riding waves with each other.

Source: https://www.marinebio.org/creatures/dolphins/behavior/

• Like 2

One such animal is a raven! They're actually quite playful despite being a bad omen for some, so no wonder they're considered mischievous as well. They're known to pull feathers or even on the tails of other animals and then fly away really fast. But it's not just animals, even humans can fall victim to their pranks. Ravens have been observed to sit on the top of buildings during wintertime and push snow on the unsuspecting human beings below.

What's nice to see is that despite their mischievousness, they seem to be capable of feeling empathy for their fellow ravens as they tend to console them when something goes wrong.

Source:

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/ravens-discover-the-brainpower-of-the-bird-in-black/1507/

• Like 2

Yes, is anyone surprised that I immediately reference 'the horse'?   :)

Let's see ... there is Rowdy, who managed to (while tied to the horse trailer) undo the snap on his trailer-tie.  In this case, it is a short length of nylon rope, which has a bull-snap on one end and a large clinician snap on the other end.  I'd put the clinician on the trailer and the bull snap on to his halter.  I was brushing him, or cleaning out his feet, whatever, and I noticed that he had undone the clinician snap! I noticed this because the lead rope/tie was dangling down from his halter .... swinging gently.  Not only had he undone the clinician snap but then he stood perfectly still for me as I was tending to him. The look on his face, when I finally noticed what was going on was priceless.  :lol:  

7151_grande.jpg?v=1571291021

The snap that he undid is the one on the right. To open it, you pull down on the cylinder, to release the 'finger' which can then swing out, untying the horse (or bull or whoever). So Rowdy figured out how to open the snap, but since he knew to stand still, he did .... untied.

There are horses who learn how to open their stall door, from the inside. That's sort of fine, right?  :D   But then, some horses go along and open up all the other doors of the stalls in the barn, and turn everyone loose! (So we then need to figure out how to keep them from opening the stall door.)

Sources:

my own experience

hearing others of 'horse inclination' tell stories about their own horses

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Making a chimp laugh | Animals in Love - BBC: https://youtu.be/hhlHx5ivGGk 

Chimpanzees are very clever animals. Just like human kids, they love to play with each other, be naughty and prank one another. They might even sneakily steal a friend or sibling's food, tickle them with leaves, launch a surprise water splash, or even sneak up behind someone to suddenly jump and mischievously scare them. This playful behaviour helps them develop social skills and bonds within their group or community.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...