Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Mongooses - Week 4 - Mongoose Discussion

There is so much I didn't know about mongooses!  I know I mentioned that before, but delving into information to present for a discussion caused me to realize the depth of my lack of knowledge ....    ^_^

Again, a Google search for "mongoose definition" brought me something which isn't in accord with other 'searches'.  :lol: 

This was the first thing to show up with my current search:

What is a mongoose easy definition?
mongoose. noun. mon·goose - plural mongooses. : any of various quick-moving mammals with a long slender body and long tail that are about the size of a ferret and feed chiefly on small animals and fruit.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

More things came up under that -- this one is something I found fascinating.

Why are mongoose illegal in USA?
Introduced into the West Indies to kill rats and snakes, they have destroyed harmless birds and mammals and have contributed to the extinction or endangerment of many desirable wildlife species. For this reason, it is illegal to import most species of mongoose into the United States.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Well, there goes any idea of me having a mongoose companion ... well, not 'any' idea, but maybe I better look at Nifflers?

Is there anything you found interesting and/or fascinating about Mongooses? In your solving of puzzles and reading the posts, did you find a wish to have a mongoose companion?

Find, or invent, something to write about the Wonders of the Mongoose!  Come up with an interesting fact or two .... write a short story ... let us know if you even like (or don't like) these awesome creatures!

Answer in here with at least 150 words, by the end of February, HOL time, and earn 25 Diamonds.

• Like 1

I loved and thoroughly enjoyed every part of this activity on the wonders of the mongooses. While doing the jigsaws and puzzles, I considered more often than not, if I'd like a mongoose companion. While I mostly answered to myself that I wouldn't, because I wouldn't enjoy seeing regular fights with snakes because I am not a big fan of blood and gore, I realised that I could still want to have a mongoose as a pet if I could have him/her as just a friendly companion instead. The story from the "Jungle Book" that I got to revisit through this activity reminded me how adorable these sweet little creatures are. These furry mammals will make quite an unique pet to be proud of and show around to everyone else, besides being a friendly and loveable companion.

This activity led me to research a few facts about mongooses and I found the following things, which were intriguing to know about: -

i. A very common superstition about mongooses is that following the path of the mongoose will bring good luck, and most of the people believe in it. - Mongooses being associated with good luck is certainly very interesting to know about. With their reputation for being killers and aggressive mammals fighting snakes, one would never guess that these creatures would be culturally associated with good luck. However, it looks like this superstition comes from the legendary knowledge of protection against snakes, itself. Snakes or no snakes, mongooses are loyal companions for sure, and that is definitely very lucky.

ii. Mongooses have sharp claws, quick reactions, and they are resistant to snake venom. - I have often wondered if resistance to snake venom could possibly exist in other creatures. This is certainly an aspect to be explored and research on further, as one could find out if it is possible for other mammals, including humans, to have resistance to snake venom and that would certainly be a useful resistance to have. While they are not inherently immune to the venom as one might assume, their are special mutations in their nervous system due to which the neurotoxin is rendered less effective in their nervous system, by being unable to bind to their nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. That being said, I wonder if they would be resistant to haemotoxin venom, found in other types of snakes like vipers, though, as viper's venom works differently with respect to how it causes harm. With the upcoming field of biogenetics, some wonders could be done, while keeping the ethical considerations of these friendly furry creatures in mind.

iii. Mongooses can be semi-aquatic, or at least some of their species are. They are adept in water as on land, because they are excellent swimmers and can dive for 15 seconds at a time while hunting, which means that they can easily hunt fish, crabs, and other aquatic prey for themselves. Did you know who their predators are, though? Most birds of prey are well-known predators of mongooses, and that would include hawks and raptors. As per Professor Tarma Amelia Black's statement, they are illegal in USA, and I think I understand why, xD, with their diverse diets which can include anything from small birds to ferrets to rodents or other mammals of small sizes.

I would like to cite the sources where I got these information: - https://www.treehugger.com/mongoose-facts-5075176

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/facts/mongooses

• Like 1

The most fascinating thing I've learned during this was how Mongooses have a unique ability to get rid of venomous snakes. That's quite an appealing attribute to make a case for why one should have a Mongoose companion. The story of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was the most compelling piece of this activity that would have convinced me to have a Mongoose companion with me. However, as you've said, importing them into the United States is illegal. Perhaps what they don't know won't hurt them (joking, I swear).

One of the most interesting facts I've found about Mongoodes is that there are about 34 species in 20 genera. Some of these species are semiaquatic, making them adept hunters in the water. For example, the marsh Mongoose can dive underwater for 15 seconds at a time, which is on top of being an excellent swimmer. These semiaquatic species often hunt for crabs, fish, and much more, using this ability.

• Like 1

I've first heard of a mongoose in the TV show Hannibal. Dr. Lecter is talking about/to Will and says something to the effect of 'the mongoose I want under the house when the snakes slither by'.

I always found it quite peculiar as I wasn't familiar with the animal and wasn't sure what its purpose was. I googled it and found a rather adorable-looking thing. It certainly didn't look like something that killed snakes. After I found what they're all about, it kind of fits.

While the snakes, cobras especially, are quite venomous, slithery, and predatory and I think they can be taller than a mongoose if they rear up, the mongoose still has some advantages. They're very fast, have a certain level of resistance to the venom, and are very powerful, which can crush a snake's skull. They also have very powerful senses, especially smell.

It doesn't look like a mongoose should even have a fighting chance against a snake, but looks can be deceiving. It was interesting to research this in detail. :)

• Like 1

Something I find pretty awesome about mongooses is their presence in mythology. In Hindu mythology, the mongoose is a symbol of fertility and riches, often portrayed as a keeper of jewels, and in African mythology, they are symbols of intelligence, seen as particularly crafty creatures. Despite the differences in symbols between myths, every culture respects and appreciates them, which I think is just beautiful.

Additionally, there is the story of the Brahman and the Mongoose, where the mongoose kills a snake which he fears will harm his (human) baby brother. Proud of what he did, he goes to show his (human) mother, but when the mother sees the mongoose with blood trickling from its mouth she kills him, thinking he had harmed her (human) son. It’s probably not the nicest story, but it’s one that I find particularly interesting. The moral of it is meant to be to not act hastily for you can’t know if you have all the facts.

• Like 1

Let me just start by saying, I have been playing far cry 6 and they have mongooses running around making the cutest little squeak noises ever. I thought I wanted to adopt them just by how cute they look until I heard them and now I must adopt them ALL! They are so adorable but nothing to be trifled with. Other than the looks and sounds of Mongoose, what I learned and love most about them is how tough they are for their small size. Not only having really hefty skills and modified receptors to stop snake venom from binding and harming them, but a really thick hide to protect them. Something I also learned is how acrobatic they can be in order to be evasive and easily escape when caught by predators. Mongooses can perform impressive jumps, spins, and flips, making them agile and adaptable hunters. I also love how mongooses and honey badgers often form mutualistic partnerships where they work together to find food and protect each other. There is really little a mongoose cannot do which makes them dangerous for their size and extremely awesome. I loved learning about them and would love to have one as a companion.

• Like 1

Mongooses belong to the taxonomic family Herpestidae, which includes 30 species across 20 genera. They are native to Africa, Asia, and Southern Europe. However, some species have also spread beyond their native range. They vary in size from the dwarf mongoose, which measures about 8 inches long and weighs less than a pound, to the white-tailed mongoose, which can grow up to 2.3 feet in length and weigh 9 pounds.

Despite their defences against venomous snakes like cobras, they often target smaller, simpler animals as prey. Their diets may include insects, earthworms, crabs, rodents, birds, lizards, and snakes, as well as both bird and reptile eggs. Mongooses have adapted to a wide array of habitats around the world, from deserts to tropical forests. Many mongooses live solitary lives, while others form sophisticated communities. Meerkats, one of the most famous mongoose species, are well known for their social groups of up to 50 members, known as "mobs."

Some mongoose species have relatively advanced communication skills. Meerkats make at least 10 calls with various meanings, from murmurs and growls to clucks, spits, and barks. The banded mongoose, whose calls may sound like simple grunts, can combine discrete units of sound similar to the way humans use a consonant and a vowel to form a syllable.

• Like 1