Hufflepuff Common Room

Eve’s Corner - June Discussion

Eve Roarke

So, we have discussed the women in our lives for the last couple of months, but lets not forget the Fathers and Father figures in our lives. Tell us about your Father or other significant man in your life. If it is not your Father is he related to you in some way or just a close family friend? Tell us about a special memory or what made him a significant influence in your life.

Each post must be at least 100 words, you can start a new post or respond to someone else’s. For each 100 words you will receive 10 Diamonds! Maximum number of 30! Of course, you are welcome to submit more if you like! You have until June 30th to submit your post!

• Eve Roarke pinned and unpinned this topic

My dad! My mom said I was a clone of him, not that I look like him, but I do have his sense of humor and outlook of life.  We almost shared a birthday, his was December 18th and mine is December 17th. We would watch the old Marx Brothe movies on Sunday afternoons and sit on the couch laughing till we cried. Mom would stand in the doorway, shaking her head and saying, "What is wrong with you too?"  which would only make us laugh harder. Mom was the serious one of the pair, where my father would find the humor in almost everything... and I do too. As a teen, he had to drop out of high school to help support the family. I'm not sure just what job he had at that time, but I guess I'll be looking through Ancestry to find out if I can. He loved baseball and at one time even tried out for the NY Dodgers, but WWII started and the draft was up. He said the only thing he ever won was the draft, as his number was the first called. After the war, he decided baseball wasn't for him and he became a police officer. That was a job he had for 25 years. Once he retired he was determined to get his high school diploma and studies for his GED, which after 2 years, he finally got his GED! In his retirement the man did everything, camping, painting, skiing, recycling newspaper, gardening, there wasn't a day he wasn't doing nothing.

On a trip to California  to visit my sister, he had a heart attack and died. My one regret is that I wasn't there to say goodbye, but I know I have a guardian angel watching me from above now.

• Like 2

• Eve Roarke pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no idea who my father is, nor do I care, and I also don't have any significant people in my life that I could consider a father figure. But my second to youngest little sister's dad was really great. He was military though and died overseas, so he's not around anymore. However, I remember that he would always look after my mom and didn't care that she already had three children, and he was really nice to us. I remember when we had this dad/daughter thing at my dance studio where we could invite our dad to class for a night so a few did, but I never had. He offered to go with me, and he even wore a tutu, which was hilarious. Actually, he wasn't too bad. I still laugh thinking about it. My little sister doesn't remember him because she was only a year old, but she would have really loved him. 

• Like 1

I was very fortunate that I have a wonderful Dad. I don't know that I'm a lot like him, in mannerisms and abilities, but I do know that in looks we are very similar.  One thing I remember, of many many things, is that, when raking hay, he'd be driving the tractor and I'd be on the 'rake' machine (what took up the loose hay and tidied it into rows). I had to manually trip the lever to cause the long, curved, rake teeth to lift up from the ground and release the drying grass. It seemed we were on a similar wave length, because I'd invariably trip the lever just as he was signalling me to do so. I really liked that.

He also made very great soups. I have no idea just why his homemade soups and stews were so good, but they were almost always extremely delicious and 'good feel'.  I was blessed. 

I realize now I typed in present tense and also in past tense. I guess I still feel that he is alive, even though he's not using that body anymore. I love him.

Well I am going to really have a deep think about this one since I am completely missing on this one. I don't have actual parents since I am an orphan. The only foster guardian, which I admit is worth celebrating is my step-mum. She is a nice person (well most of the time) and she always makes sure I have enough to eat (which is not really needed since my husband is amazing at that already. I mean...I am a bit 'chubby') and she always remembers about my birthday. She tries her best to adjust to being a foster parent of an old man (haha)!

• Like 2

Oh yeah, my dad is incredible! He is French, which means I have my good looks after him. He LOVES art and is an amateur painter, but mostly an art teacher. After my parents divorced he moved back to Paris and he still lives there. What makes him super cool is definitely his background. My mum is from an upper class and so he married into a wealthy family (him being from the lower class). He could adjust to the new life easily, as well as bring some of the colours of 'normal' life to my mostly boring 'fancy' childhood. He is more of a wizard to me than Dumbledore!

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, Aura Nightmoon said:

I have no idea who my father is, nor do I care, and I also don't have any significant people in my life that I could consider a father figure. But my second to youngest little sister's dad was really great. He was military though and died overseas, so he's not around anymore. However, I remember that he would always look after my mom and didn't care that she already had three children, and he was really nice to us. I remember when we had this dad/daughter thing at my dance studio where we could invite our dad to class for a night so a few did, but I never had. He offered to go with me, and he even wore a tutu, which was hilarious. Actually, he wasn't too bad. I still laugh thinking about it. My little sister doesn't remember him because she was only a year old, but she would have really loved him. 

I could say the same thing. My biological father left my mum when she was pregnant, which makes him kind of *a word I can't say due to the HOL rules, let's keep it family friendly here!*.  As a child I used to ask a lot because there were never any photos of him. Apparently I am more like him visually - green eyes, long wavy brown hair. He also liked music and was in a band, just like me. Additionally, which is funny to me, is the fact he was American! That makes me half American - what a funny world.

• Like 2

My step-dad, however, he is totally from the upper class and so is my mum's perfect copy. He can be very generous and warm. He is highly ambitious, which paid off with his career as a lawyer. He is really a huge basketball fan but I honestly do not know which team he supports. He also knows how to cook. He is the one who is responsible for cooking meat each time there is Thanksgiving or Christmas or any other occasion. He makes decent cakes but he hates making them as he says they are rather messy to prepare and hates cleaning up. 

• Like 2

Are there any other people who I can call 'father' in my life? Hm...not really. Although, I really like my father-in-law, well Harry's biological father. He is a really cool guy, and as Hazz said he is from the lower class. This is one of the reasons why I like him the most. I am also from a lower class and I married a person from the upper class, just like he did ages ago. This makes him understand me better and he is so nice and fair with me. He is super supportive of me and cares about me. Most importantly, he is a great dad to Harry and lovely grandfather to our children, which is the most important to me in general.

• Like 1

Like others in this month’s thread, I didn’t grow up with a father and have no idea who or where he might be (both of my biological parents actually, since I am adopted). While I had a great upbringing from my mom, she never married so I never had anyone to call a father. Sooo for this post, I’ll probably talk about one of my uncles! My mom’s youngest brother, he was our go to for last minute babysitting and even travelled internationally with us when we adopted my younger sister. He is somewhat strict but very caring, and taught me important life lessons and how to behave. We aren’t as close now that I’m older and have moved away, but I would still consider him the closest to a father figure I have.

• Like 2

The last father figure I have is my grandad. I do not remember him well although as I grew older I have learnt more about him than back when he was alive. He used to be a soldier and he managed to quickly climb up to become a Major General. He loved army and so when he retired, he became a teacher and sort of a 'dad' to all cadets. I would not say he was like a father to me since he died when I was very young but I guess for all the young boys, who just joined the army, he was just that.

• Like 2