Hufflepuff Common Room

Eve’s corner May Discussion #2

In May, there are many celebration and holidays some which last the whole month and some just for a day. One of those days is Mother’s day! I know some have already talked about their Mom, but that was in a different context. Tell us about something that makes her special to you, besides being your Mom, a childhood memory or something you feel your mother did for you that other mothers didn’t do for their children

Each post must be at least 100 words, you can start a new post or respond to someone else’s. For each 100 words you will receive 10 Diamonds! Maximum number of 30! Of course, you are welcome to submit more if you like! You have until May 31st to submit your post!

Hm where do I start. Let's just begin with the most basic information that I think it's kind of important so that people will understand why I refer to her in the past tense. My mum died in a car crash when I was just around 10 years old. It was an awful moment in my life since she was my really close friend. So yes, everyone, Louis is an orphan. No need to feel sorry though. I have plenty of different memories of my mum, some bad some good. She was one of my best friends ever and I do miss her sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are plenty of reasons why I do love my mum so much. For this purpose I am going to talk about three different things. My mum is highly educated and a true perfectionist. Although annoying for most part (especially when I was a teenager and she was forcing me to follow her footsteps) it is also very admiring to watch. She is extremely detailed orientated and I am absolutely jealous of how she can easily handle plenty of problems at once without stressing a single bit and not making any mistakes. She is such graceful and incredible at the same time.  

• Like 2

Another thing is that I don't come from a wealthy family. I believe the appropriate word to describe my family's financial situation is 'deprived'. My mum was earning less than 1k monthly and after paying all the bills, she didn't have much left. She was a single mother and my grandparents were not keen to support her financially in any way. Even our house was more of a slum than a proper home. We didn't have a bathroom. We had to use buckets for everything (yes, for 'that' too). Yet, she was always taking me to fun places such as a zoo, cinema or anything else. I never had dirty or too small clothes but brand new ones. Not fancy brands but new clothes. This is absolutely worth admiring.

• Like 3

I admire how much my mum can adapt. My family is rather wealthy. We are closer to aristocracy than working class (if anyone wonders - no, I am not rich myself, that's my parent's money only). Yet she is capable of behaving like Queen Elizabeth or a lower class woman depending on the person she's talking to. Louis comes from a completely different social group and when I brought him home to meet my parents, I was worried she will use fancy wording and act as if we are better. Yet, she started behaving like she has never been rich and never went to any of the fancy schools she's been to. She acted like she's literally from the working, middle class, which was totally shocking to me!

• Like 1

A thing that I also admired in my mum was that she never gave up. I was always taught that no matter what, there is always a solution. Even if everything fails, there is just one more little thing that can change it all up, even when we don't know it yet. My mum's parents didn't want her to go to uni. They were not happy when she got pregnant and we never really got any financial help. My grandparents own a 2-bed flat yet we had only 34m2 to live in, with extremely low standard. My mum also didn't plan to be a single mother. Yet she never gave up and graduated uni with a really high grade. She then did multiple post graduated uni courses while I was going to the nursery and primary school, which she also graduated with great results.

• Like 2

Additionally, I have always admired how amazing she is at time management. She is a lawyer and so she works so hard that it's just insane to me. I work from home and with three children (and even though they go to schools) there's so much to do that I can barely do anything for myself. Yet, I don't remember my mum not being there for me. All school celebrations and shows - she was there. We spent weekends together going to fun places and summers were always for at least monthly holidays. She always had time for me and my sister!

• Like 2

The best thing my egg donor ever did for me was leave.

I've got other women in my life that one could call mother figures. I'm very much of the opinion 'it takes a village...', which I share with my father. He has and had a lot of women on his side of the family and while I don’t have a mother, I’ve got plenty of aunts, female cousins and ‘grandmothers’. It suited me just fine.

I don’t think there’s anything women in my family ever did for me that they didn’t do for the others. Everyone was treated equal to each other and no one wanted for anything. I could say they gave me more attention, at least for a short time after my egg donor left, but the rest of the kids never gave me reason to think that was bad. At least not to my face.