Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonder of Islands - Weeks 1 & 2 - Discussion #1

If you have seen any other May Wonders posts, you will have probably gathered that the theme is Islands!

This is a simple question for our first Island discussion:  Have you ever been on an island? Was it large or small? How did you get there? Would you ever think of living on an island?  If so, where?

If you use images in your post, please keep the size of the graphics to 600x600 or less (each).

Earn 25 Diamonds when you reply in here. Please have at least 100 words to earn the Diamonds.  

You have until the end of May to earn your Diamonds.

Well...technically yes. I have been on an island and I still live on one! Louis and I live in the United Kingdom, which is an island. How is England? Pretty much what you expect it to be. Lots of tourists in the capital and other bigger cities. It rains quite a lot, so that a good weather is more of a shock rather than an everyday thing. But when it comes to any other island that is a part of a country than no. I have never been to anything as such. I would love to visit an island though.

• Like 2

As my dear badger said, yes, we technically live on an island. I agree with what Harry said about where we live. It is true. I have a huge Vitamin D deficiency because of the lack of sun in here! I was born in Poland and so to get here I had to take either a bus and then a cruise or a plane. I went with the second one since travelling for more than two days seems like a true nightmare for me. Therefore a 2h flight was a better option. I hope to go to a 'proper' island someday!

• Like 2

I’ve been to Tobago, which is one of the islands of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. A long time ago, my family came from there and when I was in my early teens to early twenties, I’ve visited a couple of times with my memaw.

It’s a rather small island by some countries’ standards, with a population of just a little over 60,000 inhabitants a decade ago. You get there by flying, to either Trinidad or Tobago, though sometimes we took a ferry to enjoy the sights.

There’s so much to tell about this wonderful island, so I’ll tell what I was most surprised about. Just how hot it is every day! Temperatures are consistent around 80s (26C) all through the year. While I love summer and the sun, I don’t think I’d be able to handle no winter or cool days.

• Like 1

WRSJ7FX.jpg?1

I have been fortunate enough to visit both Catelina Island in California and Monhegan Island in Maine.  Of the two, I would probably say I prefer Monhegan, but I believe that is because of personal preference and no reflection of the islands themselves.  Both are beautiful in their own right.

Catelina was part of my senior trip and Monhegan was a vacation my husband and I took for our anniversary.  I am a self-admitted 'yankee', despite being from Texas, so that my explain my preference as well.  Also, Monhegan reminded me of my dream island....Ireland.

I have never been to Ireland, but it is definitely on my bucket list!  I am of Irish ancestry, and I feel a kinship with Ireland that I honestly can't explain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have I ever been on an island? The answer is, yes, but not the kind I'm sure you're all think. No sun soaked, white sand beaches for me. Being NYC born and bred, my islands were, Long, Staten, Coney and City. That would be Long Island, Staten Island, Coney Island and City Island.

Long Island does have some great beaches, such as, Jones Beach, Long Beach, Robert Moss beach and so many more. As a teenager and young adult, every Saturday during the summer you would find me at Jones Beach with friends. Back then we didn't know any better about sunblock. No, you would find us lathered with baby oil  to work on our tans. 

As for Staten Island, I've never set foot on the island, but when we had nothing to do on a Friday night, way back when, my friends and I would ride the Staten Island Ferry back and forth from NYC just to do something.

Coney Island... I think everyone has heard of Coney Island. It has a great beach, boardwalk and an amusement park. Always a fun time was had there.

City Island has the best sea food restaurants that you can find. Anna Harbour was my favorite, sadly it was sold and is now the Seashore Restaurant. I'm guessing it is still a great place to eat.

• Like 1