Hufflepuff Common Room

FB3 - Week 3 - Discussion

In the trailer, we see that a Muggle (or a No-Maj), Jacob Kowalski, has visited Hogwarts. Hermione explains in the books that “It’s bewitched.” and “If a Muggle looks at it, all they see is a mouldering old ruin with a sign over the entrance saying DANGER, DO NOT ENTER, UNSAFE.”

Yet, there are exceptions to the rule. Some Muggle parents can enter the castle under extenuating circumstances and we do have Jacob visiting the castle.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Muggle, or a No-Maj. What do you see when you first enter Hogwarts or its grounds? Do you see a mouldering ruin? Maybe the castle in its entire splendor? Alternatively, what do you think Jacob and Muggle parents see and how they deal with it?

We also see Jacob with a wand and it's very unusual, so to say, to see a Muggle with it. How do you think he'll learn to use it? Do you think the lessons differ in each school? How would Hogwarts, Ilvermorny, Beauxbatons or any other school teach a non-magical person to use a wand? Would they even let them?

Write at least 100 words and earn 15 Diamonds!  If you write another post of at least another 100 words, you can earn another 15 Diamonds, too.

Note:  Please, do not post twice in a row in a short time!  Wait for someone else to post, or 24 hours, before posting again.

You have until May 14th, 11:59 pm HOL time to earn your Diamonds. If you respond within a week of this being posted, though, you earn an additional 3 bonus Diamonds.

Please, be mindful of the spoilers for the latest movie (trailers’ spoilers are allowed)! Not everyone has the ability to see the movie the moment it came out. Please, mark them appropriately.

• Like 1

• Jodie Smith changed the title to FB3 - Week 3 - Discussion

I actually have a difficult time imagining what is called a non-magic person being taught the use of a wand in a school of magic. That just seems strange to me, because the schools of magic simply don't allow non-magic people into their schools, do they? I don't remember Muggle parents allowed onto the grounds of Hogwarts. Yes, they (Muggle parents) go to Diagon Alley, and maybe they might go to Hogsmeade (although I don't remember reading of Muggles in there at all but hey, I don't remember all the books verbatim. Ooops.  :lol: 

That said, and yes, I know I've seen trailers where Jacob is at Hogwarts and holding a wand, I think that everyone has the potential for magic within themselves, if only part of their RNA (which are a kind of nucleic acid, "and consists of molecules that are single stranded copies of nuclear DNA segments. They are smaller than DNA molecules and do not have the double helix shape.")  But then again, I think that all of Life is magic.  So, Jacob actually holding a wand and taught how to use it? That might just trigger some 'magic' to become active within him!

If I'm a No-Maj (instead of a Muggle) in the Fantastic Beasts world (which means sometime in the 1920s or 1930s), that means I'm likely a resident of the United States of America with no knowledge of magic or magical people and possibly a passing knowledge of the 'old country' my family comes from (which might not bear the same name today).  

If I was in sight of Hogwarts, I probably would have had to have taken a long sea voyage to the British Isles for some reason:  maybe I had some fancy benefactor who really wanted me to travel over there?  Maybe I had been accepted into a program at a top British university?  Though it's not the best school out there, the nearest (Muggle) uni of some renown to Hogwarts is the University of Aberdeen, so let's assume that I had taken a voyage over there.  

Assuming I had ended up at Hogwarts instead, that's about an hour away by Muggle car - easy enough to end up there by accident if I got really lost.  So I'd assume I had gotten really lost, and most likely at this point I would - being too Stateside to qualify as even a Muggle - just see the same ruins that British Muggles see in front of Hogwarts, complete with "DANGER, DO NOT ENTER, UNSAFE".  Knowing I was far from safety, I would make my way to the nearest petrol station, complete with my Aberdeen letter, and ask for proper directions to get me back there!  After all, someone (or someones) very important really wanted me to study there... and I wasn't going to disappoint them just because of my poor sense of direction!

-------------------------------------------------

[OUT OF CHARACTER:  I do have experience with the University of Aberdeen through my family; I spent a summer in that general area when I was seven due to my dad taking his family on a very interesting business trip.]

• Like 1

As I entered the beautiful castle I was amazed at how strong the walls are. I have heard how old this building is and so seeing it standing so still and strong shocked me. Everything seemed old and new at the same time making the school rather unique. I have spotted so many students dressed identically. It kind of remind me of the British uniforms but then the animals surrounding students was odd. I have never seen any pet at school when I was attending one back in a day. Everyone was so loud and I saw sparks flying everywhere.

• Like 2

The first thing that shocked me at Hogwarts was the amount of students there. I never thought there are so many wizards and witches! I know it may sound stupid but I honestly thought there are going to be around 20 or 30 students in the school in general. Then someone told me that this is just one school and there are in fact a few more magical schools filled with hundreds of students! I have to admit it kind of sent chills down my spine. How many wizards or witches have passed me in my life without me knowing?

• Like 2

The only thing way that comes to mind as to how Jacob managed to learn how to use a wand is because he was literally surrounded by witches and wizards. I am unsure, since I have not watched the movie yet, but maybe he followed Newt and ended up talking to Dumbledore? If so, then maybe Dumbledore taught him how to use one. Although I do think this is rather unlikely. In my eyes Dumbledore is rather strict with his rules and so I doubt that teaching a muggle how to use a wand would be okay in his book.

• Like 2

I do agree with Louis. Newt or anyone else he had encountered who is a wizard or a witch teaching Jacob on how to properly handle a real wand seems the only possible way. However, I would like to allow my imagination to run free and say that it could have been simply an accident that he knows how to use a wand. Maybe he had accidentally discovered how to use without anyone's help. Sort of an instinct thing maybe. Who knows? Maybe he has some magic blood anyways. He may not know about this at all but he can feel it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Louis as well.  I do think that Newt and maybe Dumbledore might have taught Jacob some things about a wand and how to use it properly in order to help him better protect himself.  But I also think that Jacob being a muggle or no-maj will never be able to use the magic in the same way as an actual witch or wizard.  Take a Squib for an example. A squib is typically around magic all of his or her life, growing up with magic parents and possibly other magic relatives, but the Squib will never be able to actually perform magic, especially in the same way as the others.  So I think Jacob will learn to be able to use the wand to protect him from bad witches and wizards, like Grindelwald, and maybe perform the simplest spells, but I don't think he will be able to do much more than that. 

I think if I was a muggle or no-maj, going to Hogwarts, I would see the old ruins and danger signs.  I would be very weary going past them.  But I would then I would be very suprised to find a school hidden within those ruins and see witches and wizards running around or going to magic classes.  I think that would be pretty cool to see!  

• Like 1