Hufflepuff Common Room

FB3 - Week 2 - Discussion

Have you seen Fantastic Beasts 1 and 2?  Maybe you've seen Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them but not Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (or the other way around).

According to Harry Potter Wiki:

The plot of the first film revolves around Newton Scamander, or commonly known as Newt, a Magizoologist who arrives in New York in December of 1926, to stay for a brief time following a journey around the world to research creatures for his book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Newt owns a magically-expanded suitcase containing many creatures which No-Maj Jacob Kowalski inadvertently opens. When some of the creatures escape, the situation threatens the secrecy of the Wizarding world and the relationship between the magical and non magical societies in America, which is already in danger due to the New Salem Philanthropic Society. Newt battles to find the creatures with the help of Jacob and Porpentina "Tina" Goldstein before it's too late, with Percival Graves on his tail. The film take place over the course of two days.

The second film is set in Paris in the summer of 1927. It begins to centre around Gellert Grindelwald, who made a brief appearance in the first film and was considered the darkest Wizard of his time. It also features the return of Albus Dumbledore. Leta Lestrange who is described as complicated, damaged and confused is also featured. The film ends with a major victory for Grindelwald.

Those summaries are okay, even if they are not what I'd write. (I'd more focus on the creatures and Goldie and Newt and Jacob and the action! What about the obscurus?  Yes, I'd have much longer, more involved summaries ... :lol:  ) The thing is, where does the story go from here? What will happen in Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore?  If you've not seen it, write your theories!  If you have seen the movie, how accurate were you in what you thought might happen? Again, remember spoilers! If you have to write something which happened in the movie, use that spoiler button. (If the Sett is being difficult and you cannot write it and disguise with a spoiler, just write that you tried ... and had to poof what you wrote. :(  But you are welcome to write that you saw it and give some of your own reactions and some audience reactions if you like.  :D )

Write a post with at least 100 words and earn 15 Diamonds!  If you write another one of at least another 100 words, you can earn additional 15 Diamonds, too.

Note:  Please, do not post twice in a row in a short time!  Wait for someone else to post, or 24 hours, before posting again.

You have until May 14th, 11:59 pm HOL time to earn your Diamonds. If you respond within a week of this being posted, though, you earn an additional 3 bonus Diamonds.

Warning: There will be spoilers, but I've marked them off. I hope lmao.

I saw Secrets of Dumbledore last weekend (and I'm seeing it again this weekend, but that's not the point >.>), and I have to say that this one did a bit better than the last film in some areas, but not as great in others. I really like being able to see and learn more about magical creatures that we haven't been introduced to yet; learning about the Swooping Death and seeing it in action was really cool in Fantastic Beasts, and watching Newt introduce Jacob to all the creatures was one of my favorite parts. I'm a massive animal lover, so of course it makes sense I would totally fall for the magizoologist lol. 

In any event, I really wish we were able to see more creatures in the later films like we did in the first film, but I think Secrets of Dumbledore did a decent job otherwise. 

Spoiler

I 100% knew that Credence wasn't some long-lost Dumbledore sibling, but I figured he was either a cousin or even Aberforth's son so I was happily surprised to see that I was correct in my theories. The way I look at it, Grindelwald never outright lies to people, he just manipulates situations to fit his own narrative, so I figured that Credence probably really was related to the Dumbledore family in some fashion with how much they showed Credence and his Phoenix. Then to have Dumbledore realize Credence was a member of his family via the Phoenix's presences and the spreading of the ashes was really interesting to me.

I also have to say, the scene near the end of the film where the Qilin came to Dumbledore and bowed before him, and he was instantly like 'dear God no' made me legit laugh out loud in the theater; that was both entertaining and heartwarming to see. I feel like it was partially what Albus needed in that moment; to know that despite whatever mistakes he'd made with Gellert in the past, he was still someone who was pure of heart.

All in all, I really liked the film. The way it ended wasn't entirely how I thought it would end, but I also think it ended in an intriguing manner, and I can't wait to see more films in the future.

Spoiler

Given the fact that the film took place in 1927, and Gellert Grindelwald wasn't defeated until 1945, I am certain that there will be more films in the future. Ironically, this defeat that ended the global wizarding war also happened to come at or near the end of the Muggle's second World War which was prophesied in Crimes of Grindelwald, and you cannot convince me that there isn't some sort of connection there.

All that being said, I really want to see the final fight between Grindelwald and Dumbledore not only because the one fight we did see was kind of awesome, but primarily because that duel was described as both "one of the most well-known duels in the world" and "one of Dumbledore's most famous moments"; according to Elphias Doge in Deathly Hallows, "eye-witnesses to the duel [spoke] of the terror and awe they felt as they watched the extraordinary Dumbledore and Grindelwald do battle, and proclaimed that no duel ever matched theirs". So with those kind of descriptions, I really want to see this final duel.

I also found it interesting that because Dumbledore and Aberforth joined together to defend Credence against Grindelwald who was trying to kill, it broke the blood bond they had made. I think that's one of the only real disappointments that I had; I wanted to see them go more in-depth about the blood bond that Gellert and Albus had made.

In any event, I really want to see a full, massive duel between the two of them because I think they're fairly evenly matched in skill. It's not often that we see someone who's able to keep up with Dumbledore I don't think, but I also find watching them duel interesting because (much like Voldemort) Grindelwald doesn't exactly "fight fair". 

• Like 1

Going on my own instincts and opinions about Albus Dumbledore instead of any knowledge of the third FB movie, which I haven't seen:

From the Harry Potter series, we notice that Albus Dumbledore took control of Harry's own childhood from the age of one, while never directly checking in on how he was doing/how he was treated for the next ten years (he delegated that to his Squib friend, Arabella Figg).  While we also learn he tried to influence the development of Tom Riddle before he became Lord Voldemort, we do not see Dumbledore taking part in Tom Riddle's development until Tom is nearly Hogwarts age; in particular, there's no evidence that Dumbledore removed Tom away from loving relatives or family friends and placed him in an orphanage where life was even more miserable than what Harry experienced with the Dursleys.  At least the memories Dumbledore showed Harry indicated that Tom was placed in the orphanage by his dying mother, Merope Gaunt!

Therefore, I would consider some of the "secrets" of Dumbledore to be that Harry Potter wasn't the first person Dumbledore influenced in early childhood, making said childhood more miserable than it otherwise would be.  It wouldn't be impossible, for example, for Dumbledore to have changed the Pensieve memories connected to Tom's early life before showing them to Harry (we already know that people good enough at Occlumency can alter Pensieves, and with Dumbledore's skill at the art he should be able to make very subtle alterations unlike Professor Slughorn's);  was there more to Merope's early demise at the age of nineteen (and Tom's resultant placement in an orphanage) than what the Pensieve showed, for example?  And even if Tom Riddle wasn't connected to those secrets, there definitely could be other witches or wizards who had to suffer an early childhood that was much worse than it had to be...

And yes, I know there's no reason for Voldemort to appear at all in this series (even if he is nearly Hogwarts age during the time of this event).  But then again, there was no reason for Professor McGonagall, whom we all believed to be born either 1925 or 1935 (JKR gave her age as a "sprightly seventy" in a 2000 interview) before Crimes of Grindelwald, to be shown teaching in the turn of the 19th-to-20th century... except as an excuse to bring a fan favourite from the Harry Potter series.  By that logic, why wouldn't we see a Voldemort with age retconned up or down as appropriate?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Prof. Will Lestrange said:

then again, there was no reason for Professor McGonagall, whom we all believed to be born either 1925 or 1935 (JKR gave her age as a "sprightly seventy" in a 2000 interview) before Crimes of Grindelwald, to be shown teaching in the turn of the 19th-to-20th century... except as an excuse to bring a fan favourite from the Harry Potter series.

...honestly that had never even crossed my mind. I had always imagined McGonagall was there at that time for some reason. I know she worked for the Ministry of Magic before she came to Hogwarts, but she was sort of seamlessly included in the films, and it didn't even occur to me that they were taking place much too early for her to be there. the HP Lexicon has her DOB listed as 1935 so she wouldn't have even been born yet by the time of the first three movies, let alone have been someone teaching Newt and Leta while they were at Hogwarts. It looks like they're trying to retcon her age a bit, but I don't think her addition made too much of a difference one way or another aside from, like you said, the addition of having a fan-favourite character on the big screen.

• Like 2

I am actually going to be a bit controversial...or maybe not...who knows. I am not a huge fan of Dumbledore. It is safe to say that I have a rather significant dislike towards him. I am actually kind of disgusted with the way he knew that Voldemort wants to kill Harry yet he was not keen on protecting him much. Also, even though I know Grindelwald was not a good person whatsoever, he did have a deep love for Dumbledore and I can understand he felt betrayed and annoyed. Regardless of what happened between them two, my opinion stays the same.

What I think may happen is that Grindewald will take over the wizarding world and Dumbledore will have to face his own demons to fight him. Additionally, Jacob will properly invest in his relationship with Queenie.

• Like 1

I have not watched the second or third movie but I remember watching the first one (although it is a good idea to re-watch it since I am lost in this). Therefore, I will have a rather bias theory about what may happen in the third part. The character I am most interested in is Credence Barebone. I remember him to be very lost in the first movie and so I have no idea what has happened to him. Also I really like the actor (Ezra Miller). I remember him form his early movies, and is amazing how he improved. 

• Like 2

I agree with Harry. I wonder what has happened to Credence! To be honest I really liked him in the first movie and so I do want to see his story going forward. To be honest, one of the things I am mostly excited to see the actors playing the Hogwarts teacher but back when they were young. I guess this is one of my biggest excitements as I find that rather interesting and fascinating. I think it is amazing to get to know the Hogwarts staff back when they were younger so that we can fully understand how much they have changed.

• Like 2

What I think may happen in the movie is that we will get the chance to uncover more 'spicy' details form the life of Albus Dumbledore and some details about his relationship with Gellert. I have to admit that this is one of the most exciting theory I have about the new movie because I just love the idea of them together. I would also hope to see some more love between Newt and Porpentina. Although not so visible in the first movie (which is the only one I have seen), I know they are in love with each other. 

• Like 2