Hufflepuff Common Room

January - Wonders of the World - SNOW - Discussion

Our first discussion will be about where you live and if it snows there.

Week 1 - Do you live in an area where it snow? Does it snow A LOT... a little? Let us know just how much snow your home town receives? How is it going this winter season so far? Have you gotten snow or not?

Tell us in a minimum of 150 words and you will receive 20 Diamonds! If you want to write a reply of 100 words to other people's posts,  you can eanr another 10 Diamonds! Feel free to post more if you like before January  31st!

• Like 1

Officially, it snows 1.1 inches a year here.  I've moved over closer to the coast, and south a bit, from where I used to live, which would get a bit of snow a few times a year.  Well ....

This is the 9th day that I've been here, on the top of my snowy and icy hill, waiting to go out. If I put on chains, it'd be okay, but I've seen how folks (who are not used to snow and ice) drive  and nope, I'm not going out in that traffic!  Fortunately we had a heads up from the weather service, of impending snow and freezing temperatures, and I stocked up with lots of stuff a week ago Thursday (as did the neighbors who live on this steep, twisty and hilly road).

I don't know how many inches of snow we got. It was a few inches, anyway, going by how much accumulated on the vehicles. the snow's finally starting to melt, as is the ice. Postal service was able to get through Friday; they used chains and I told the driver she was a heroine.  She grinned.   :thumbz: 

I actually took a picture of the barely covered snowy road on Christmas Eve, thinking 'oh this is pretty'.   :lol:   

Taya (Leopard dog) loves the snow!  She bounds around it in, and tracks the critters who have come to visit.  ^_^

• Like 1

I live in Pennsylvania. We used to get snow all the time. I remember as a kid having six foot of snow, school always being canceled. I live in a very small town in the mountains, down in a valley. These past years there hasn’t been much snow at all, as years go by if seems to get warmer and warm here. Right now it’s pretty could staying in the 20s at night and 30-40s in the day. We had snow once this year but it was just about an inch or two. It was gone the next as it had reached near 50 degrees. It’s supposed to be pretty cold this week so maybe will get some more snow. The weather forecast says there is a chance of snow on Friday. We are to have very cold nights, getting well below freezing. It’s mostly rained all winter. 

• Like 1

I live in Kentucky, and we don't get nearly as much snow as I would like.  I'm originally from Texas, which had zero-little snow, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.  According to all sources, we should be seeing snow next week (can't wait!).  While we don't get drifts like our northern neighbors and have no chance of being snowed in (ala' the poor Torrances in The Shining), we have gotten a pretty decent amount in past years.  In fact, last year, my daughter and I were even able to build a snowman, albeit it was rather on the smaller scale.  It made her happy, so that's all that mattered, really.

On the downside, I don't particularly like driving in the snow, which rather stinks as that is (literally) my job.  Skidding sideways while driving an ambulance is no fun, I assure you heartily.  So in essence, I love looking at the snow, and even playing in it, but driving is a definite NO.  I live for those times when I can delegate the driving chore to my husband, who has much more patience for it than I do.

• Like 1

I live in upstate NY and we get snow. The average snowfall is about 60 inches, which is 60 inches more than I like. I moved up here 40 years ago and it seems like we're getting less and less snow as when I first moved up here. We can get snow any time between October till April, yes, that's right April. I can remember many Easter Sundays where the spring dresses and shoes had to remain in the closet and we had to wear boots and heavy winter clothes. It's not unusual to get a blizzard or two that will close down the area for a couple of days. Snow days are always fun for the kids. Besides snow, we can get some awful ice storms. As much as I hate driving in snow, driving on ice is no fun at all.

No, don't get me wrong, there are times I think a snowfall can be pretty. That's usually when I'm home and don't have to go out in it. There is such a quiet peacefulness to the snowfall and the world looks so nice and clean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Northern Illinois. We typically get lots and lots of snow. This year was a little strange, because it was close to 60 degrees (F) on Christmas day, when it's normally in the teens or 20s. We usually have quite a bit of snow by Christmas time. This year, we had one pretty significant snowfall (4-5 inches) and we've have some frigid days, but the snow has mostly melted. That being said, we got a tiny dusting tonight. January and February are the worst months around here for people who don't like cold and snow, so I'm sure there will be more. We'll have a high of 10 whole degrees on Thursday. Is it March yet?

• Like 2

I live in India, yes, I know what you're thinking, there's no snow in India.....right? well if you think like that then you're wrong, 

because it DOES snow in India (Mainly hill stations)! (Not in many parts sadly, only in 5-6 states) So when I travelled East, 

there was only a little bit of snow (if I can i'll import a pic of the snowman I made with my face cropped off) and it was 5-6 inches long (and I almost fainted lol)  and since I wasn't THAT used to cold places I had to sit in the car with a warm blanket,since it was only 15 degrees outside, now, don't think I hate snow, I like snow! since I was only 5 when I went i didn't like snow at the time, but hey,I'm not kidding at all.  anyway that's my story but I don't have 150 words so i'll talk about places that have snowfall:

Mount Everest: Mount Everest is Earth's highest mountain above sea level located in the Mahalangur Himal sub-range of the Himalayas. The China–Nepal border runs across its summit point. Its elevation (snow height) of 8,848.86 m (29,031.7 ft) was most recently established in 2020 by the Chinese and Nepali authorities.

Ladakh: Ladakh receives snowfall like no other place in India. The destination attracts adventure enthusiasts from all over given its amazing topography. The temperature in the region drops around -4 degrees and it can further drop to -30 degrees at night.RnkSCI0.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in Poland and I have always heard people mixing it up with Russia and times of the Second War World and say that Polish winters are probably extremely freezing. It is not true but it does not mean that they are not cold!

Although there have not been a cold winter in a long time, there is still snowing in Poland during the winter periods. However, it is mostly snow mixed with rain and so proper shoes are needed. At the time when I was a child winters, however, were much more colourful than now. 

I do not really like winter, or snow for that matter. During my childhood I remember huge amounts of snow and ice. I remember going on a huge hill and then sled down the hills. Typically we had similar amount of snow like most of you have in the USA but we didn't have a snow day.

• Like 2

I grew in Canada and snow days were my favourite things in the world. Snow was always huge and I remember being terrified of snow storms. It is true. I also disliked the snow fights. The reason behind this is that when I was really young, about the age of 7, I had a snow fight with my sister and she did not realise that there was a huge piece of ice in the snow she used to make a snowball. The snowball hit me on the head and yeah...there was some blood :D I have forgotten her pretty much straight away but the fear stayed.

Other than that, snow days were huge fan. I was always sitting at home with hot coco and reading books or watching my favourite cartoons. It was always an additional weekend day for me but with extra benefits, such as no homework (something that I had to do during the weekend).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Walles said:

I grew in Canada and snow days were my favourite things in the world. Snow was always huge and I remember being terrified of snow storms. It is true. I also disliked the snow fights. The reason behind this is that when I was really young, about the age of 7, I had a snow fight with my sister and she did not realise that there was a huge piece of ice in the snow she used to make a snowball. The snowball hit me on the head and yeah...there was some blood :D I have forgotten her pretty much straight away but the fear stayed.

Other than that, snow days were huge fan. I was always sitting at home with hot coco and reading books or watching my favourite cartoons. It was always an additional weekend day for me but with extra benefits, such as no homework (something that I had to do during the weekend).

Everyone had have so much fun during snow days. The first time I have experienced a snow day was actually in the U.K. and it was much to my surprise. My school did not have central heating and so when the snow hit England, my school decided to stay close for a week. This was one of the best things in my life and I truly remember my true happiness when I found out about this through a phone call. 

What did I do during that day? Nothing. I did literally nothing. I was just sleeping and watching Tv all day haha

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, Ailee Aria said:

I live in India, yes, I know what you're thinking, there's no snow in India.....right? well if you think like that then you're wrong, 

because it DOES snow in India (Mainly hill stations)! (Not in many parts sadly, only in 5-6 states) So when I travelled west, 

there was only a little bit of snow (if I can i'll import a pic of the snowman I made with my face cropped off) and it was 5-6 inches long (and I almost fainted lol)  and since I wasn't THAT used to cold places I had to sit in the car with a warm blanket,since it was only 15 degrees outside, now, don't think I hate snow, I like snow! since I was only 5 when I went i didn't like snow at the time, but hey,I'm not kidding at all.  anyway that's my story but I don't have 150 words so i'll talk about places that have snowfall:

Mount Everest: Mount Everest is Earth's highest mountain above sea level located in the Mahalangur Himal sub-range of the Himalayas. The China–Nepal border runs across its summit point. Its elevation (snow height) of 8,848.86 m (29,031.7 ft) was most recently established in 2020 by the Chinese and Nepali authorities.

Ladakh: Ladakh receives snowfall like no other place in India. The destination attracts adventure enthusiasts from all over given its amazing topography. The temperature in the region drops around -4 degrees and it can further drop to -30 degrees at night.RnkSCI0.png

I love your snowman. I sadly do not have any photos of the snowmen my sister and I used to build when I was a child, which although feels to be pretty recently, it was indeed a while ago. 

I used to love building snowmen. It was almost our tradition when we were young and so now that I am older I do miss it a bit. Unfortunately, there is not much snow in the United Kingdom, and if there is, it is not enough to even make a snowball so a snowman is out of the question sadly haha

• Like 2