Hufflepuff Common Room

Snape-tember - Week 1 - Discussion

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

I am still not the biggest fan of Snape, but I grew to understand him better as the series progressed. One of my Potter-related childhood memories actually revolves around my sister constantly questioning me which side he was really on since she never ended up reading the books herself. A good number of my friends in middle and high school seemed to really enjoy his character and claimed him their favorite, but I could never quite bring myself to wholeheartedly agree with them. Though his actions became life-saving to Harry and many others, I don't think his rude actions towards the students he was intended to teach can be disregarded.

• Like 2

I feel towards the end of Deathly Hallows I felt bad for Snape. Like in my option he through so much. First, pretend to be a spy for Voldemort. Second, getting bullied by James. Like he struggled a lot. Thirdly, he vows to protect Draco even risking his own life. The way how he dies also was terrible.  I love the part that Harry finds out the truth from Snape. From the beginning to the end, I think all our view change of Snape. Snape was not totally a bad person. I feel that he was just misunderstood. Who didn’t deserve to die.

• Like 1

I first encountered Professor Snape when I first read the first Harry Potter book. I definitely did not like him when I first encountered him. He seemed like a bully and a person who played favoritism. I did not like the way he treated Harry Potter and his friends. I especially did not like the way he turned his head at behaviors of his own house, but overly punished people outside of his own house for people doing the right thing. During the last Harry Potter book release party, Borders had us wear pins that showed whether we thought Snape was a good guy or a bad guy. I chose the pin that said bad guy. I have always thought that he was a bad guy. 

• Like 1