Hufflepuff Common Room

Movies of Wonder - Week 1 - Discussion / Ever Watch One?

This is an easy one - have you ever watched a movie? 

Really?  Well, then, go a little further -- what's the last movie that you watched?  (If it is not HOL appropriate, either skim on the details or go to one that you can talk about.)

Why did you watch it? Was it something that you wanted to watch, and had been waiting to see? Were you watching it because someone else wanted to watch it and you were with them? Were you at home or elsewhere? 

Did you enjoy watching the movie?  Were you amazed at the actual thing of watching a story on a screen or are you used to it by now and taking the magic for granted? (Sort of like taking for granted the flipping a switch and the lights come on -- until the power goes off.)

Earn 25 Diamonds when you reply in here.  Please have at least 100 words to earn the Diamonds.  

You have until the end of March to earn your Diamonds.

• Like 1

The last movie I have watched was a documentary movie about dinosaurs. It was a video on YouTube, and the quality of this video is was pretty alright. I watched the movie with my son Adi, who loves dinosaurs as much as @Louis Wallesdoes! The movie was a well animated movie about the last moments of the lives of dinosaurs. It was a great documentary and it was very interesting to learn more about the world of dinosaurs, and how they have tried to survive, but as we know, they failed to do so. The movie also went into a bit of detail about the lives of the mammals, and how they evolved into what we know them as now. 

• Like 4

The last movie I have watched was also a documentary! It was not about the dinosaurs though, but about an apocalypse. This documentary was also on YouTube, but the quality was also great! The document was a story of what would happen if the asteroid of the same size that killed dinosaurs, hit the Earth again. The documentary focused on different areas of the outcome of this event. It focused on animals - our pets and wild animals living in zoos, and how they would become more violent and open to walk on open spaces. It also claimed that more than 80% of human population would die. It was a great documentary that I have sadly watched alone but will watch it with someone for sure.

• Like 4

I don't watch too many movies on my own, but tend to watch them in the company of others. Most recently, I visited my family and we watched a couple of the James Bond films. I will admit to not having seen any before, so I mainly ended up watching it because my mom had it on. I suppose I enjoyed it well enough, but I feel like I was mostly enjoying that I would now understand some of the references to it in other media or in conversation. I do enjoy watching all kinds of movies when the occasion arises however, since I really enjoy seeing how the cinematography enhances the storytelling aspect of the film. Sometimes I get caught up in technicalities, but for the most part I like watching stories unfold organically while not relating them too much to the outside world.

• Like 3

This past Sunday, the hubby was off with the "GOB" (that's a group of his friends who dubbed themselves The Good Old Boys) to go fishing, so I took the opportunity to have a MCU playlist. He enjoys the movies, but not one to sit through them back to back.... like me. So I popped Captain America in and started the show. The reason for liking them so much... I'm a huge fan of Iron Man/Tony Stark.  Yes, he is the Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist he claims to be... but I love the snarky remarks he makes. After all these years I still laugh at them. I mean in The Avengers, when he's prodding Dr. Banner with the pokey stick and Cap walks in and asks, "Are you mad?" How can you not laugh at Tony's reply of "Jury's out"!

• Like 2

The last movie I watched was with my sister during one of our rare times of having the day off together.  It was entitled We Have Always Lived in the Castle, a rather captivating mystery thriller.  It's based on the book by Shirley Jackson, whose writing I adore, so I was quite certain I would not be disappointed.  Thankfully, I was proven right.

The movie's premise is somewhat of a cliche', an almost gothic take on Lizzie Borden. The two sisters are shunned by the village who believes that the eldest was responsible for poisoning her whole family, save for the younger sister who had been sent to bed early as punishment.  Also living at the 'castle' is Uncle Julian, an ailing elderly relative who was there for supper that fateful night, but mercifully did not succumb to death.  Although the tragic events took place six years ago, the villagers have a collectively long memory and the trio have lived like virtual hermits ever since.

Not to give away the plot, but the tension and drama build up so slowly that you are hardly aware of the insiduous truth of things until it is too late.  I am a fan of both unexpected plot twists and period movies, so this was a real treat for me.  The director was brilliant at atmospheric lighting and using imagery to capture a mood. I feel that this added to the experience as much (or perhaps even more) than the plot itself. I am certainly glad that I took the time to watch it; and I would daresay that my sister enjoyed it as well.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

For these two weeks I'm free in the morning so every morning I end up watching a movie xD. And the last movie I watched was Babe Pig in the City. I can't find any good movie so stick with it 'till it's over. I had watched it before when I was a kid but I kinda forgot the plot :D. It wasn't something I wanted to watch, but it was fun to watch it in the morning after breakfast, it was so entertaining. Especially when Babe and friends go on a mission to save the rest of the animals. It was more fun because I watched it with my parents xD. 

• Like 2

I don't really watch movies but I've been in movies.  The last movie that I can think of is ************.  I remember going to the Oregon Caves.  It was very beautiful.  There was a part of the wall that had a tiny opening for me so I decided to go in.  I fit perfectly inside.  I really liked all of the trees that were there.  I remember that I got to pester my sister in the scene and tell her that it was time to go home.  The reason that I haven't seen it is because the movie is rated R.  I also remember that I got to wear my pretty butterfly shirt.

• Like 1

I'm struggling with remembering the last movie I watched, as I tend to watch more tv shows then movies. (Though I will say "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" was excellent!)

But I believe the last movie I watched solo was Rogue One. I had just finished the Mandalorian and still wanted something Star Wars so I rewatched that movie, mostly because it's meant to be watched as a solo movie, though you can easily find where it fits into the Skywalker canon. (Is that what we're calling the main movies? Because that what I'm calling it.) On one hand it's tragic, and I usually dislike tragic movies, but knowing how it fits into the whole saga, it makes the sacrifices the characters make easier to accept. (I'm looking at you "Logan" movie that made it hard for me to return to the X-men films!)

One of these days, I do plan on watching all of the Star Wars movies over the course of the weekend but I have to plan up for that. I'm not much of a binger even when it's something I like, but Star Wars does tend to be the exception.

• Like 1