Hufflepuff Common Room

Creature Scavenger Hunt - A Creature of Your Very Own

Say you found a creature somewhere in New York and .... you wanted to keep it!

This is your chance to find a creature and say you'd want to keep for yourself. Who is it, why do you want to keep him or her, and how would you keep him or her (or them) with you?

If you cannot think of any you'd like to keep, say that -- and why!  (Do you have a kneazle who wouldn't want the competition for your attention?)

Write at least 100 words and earn 20 Diamonds

You have until the end of the day on February 28th to post.  

1If you have difficulty coming up with 100 or more words for your post, please just let me know and I can give you some ideas!

As tempting as it is to pick a creature for my very own, I'm quite afraid that I will have to decline.  Now, it's not that I don't want the creature; I actually had my eye on a fwooper who was the prettiest shade of pink; it was so tempting!  But alas, common sense and loyalty prevailed in the end.  

My two biggest reasons for not snatching up the fwooper are namely Annabelle and Professor Lestrange.  Annabelle, as you may recall, is the giant squid that lives in the Black Lake. She has adopted Slytherin as her House, and saying that she is an attention seeker is putting it very mildly.  She gets quite temperamental if she even thinks she's being ignored, so I can only imagine her displeasure if I were to introduce another pet into Slytherin.  It might not be such a problem, except that I've been made, it seems, into Annabelle's "unofficial" official keeper and guardian.  Annabelle, I dare say, would be very not amused if an interloper was brought into the mix.

Why it was just last year that Annabelle, in a fit of picque flooded Professor Lestrange's Parseltongue classroom and sent it all the way to Atlantis.  I shudder to think what she would do if angered again.  I certainly do not have any intention of finding out, I can tell you that much!  So for the sake of my sanity, Annabelle's fragile ego, and poor Will's classroom, I will keep temptation at bay and go back to Slytherin empty-handed.  It truly is the best way.  

• Haha 4

Oh this is hard for me. I tend to be a bit of a scaredy cat, so most of the creatures from his suitcase make me nervous. Though I will say I'm very drawn to the Occamy. It's so pretty! The colors of it are very close to my favorite colors and I adore how serpentine it looks. (Many of my real life family members fit into Slytherin, so I'm predisposed to like snakes, forgive me!) But, it's very aggressive and I'm not always the most careful person, so I don't think it would suit me much.

In the end, if I was to take a pet, I would take a Bowtruckle. I'm something of a tree admirer and I am currently taking a class on wand making, so I think I would get alot of information on how to take care of a Bowtruckle properly. Also, it's quite small and easily hidden, so I know it would be easier to keep safe from muggles. And we would have alot of fun exploring the woods together and it could hang out in it's tree while I do classwork or read. 

• Like 2

I would love to own pretty much any magical pet, but simply because I'm always bringing one into the Gryffindor Common Room and driving Sky crazy, I'm going to say a Nundu here. Nundus are the absolute cutest creatures and ferocious looking. I think if I could tame one, she'd be an amazing guard creature and a fantastic sidekick. I'd have an enormous yard where my Nundu would be able to go and I'd be sure to let her out when she wanted as I'd live far away from others so it wouldn't hurt anyone. I'd make sure all the rooms in my house rather large and the entryways too so she could fit in wherever. My Nundu would have a room totally for her if she wanted to stay inside and a nice spot outside too. 

FBNundu.png                            01a3332b7e1e3c3c58f5ce8be08e7945.jpg

• Like 1

A magical creature of my very owner! I'm not sure how Vinny, my owl, would handle it. He's very temperamental... and jealous. BUT... if I would go for a Magical Creature, it would have to be a Bowtruckle. It's tiny, so it can fit almost anywhere ( though I do end to lose small things), and being small, it can't eat too much, (though what it eats confuses me... I mean wood lice, anything with "lice" in its name makes my head itch and just what are fairy eggs? Fairies are just so willing to give up their eggs? What?  Are they chickens or something? I mean do you have to go down to the fairy coop and get a batch of eggs every morning?), and quite honestly, it would come in handy for me.

You see, I have a habit of losing keys. I usually keep my house keys and car keys (yes I love driving cars more than broomsticks... broomsticks really do a number on your hair) on different key rings and somehow I tend to forget the house keys when I rush out of the house. So, lets just say the Bowtruckle's skill of picking locks would come in handy for me. The neighbors are quite used to seeing one of the Hartwick children or myself braking into the house through the front window.

:)

• Like 1

If a Mooncalf needed a new home, I would one hundred percent take it in! They are so cute with their huge eyes and the way they dance around. I would ideally have a suitcase or carrier like Newt Scamander’s to carry it around in so that it could live in its natural habitat while being able to travel around with me. As well, I would try to get it some Mooncalf friends so that it would not be alone. Mooncalves are shy and I would have no problem letting it do its own thing most of the time. But, when it wants to hang out with me, I would be more than happy to oblige!

• Like 1

There are many creatures there. Thunderbird is amazing, but it is really big. I can't imagine bringing it home with me. So, I would like to have a Bowtruckle with me, one of Pickett's family or friends. The creature itself is small, handy, and pretty cute. I think if I have one as mine, I would take it with me everywhere, making it my friend. I have a garden at home then there are trees near my house so I think it wouldn't be hard to find food. And then since the creature is small it is easy to hide it from people. 

• Like 1

Ever since watching the Harry Potter movies I always wanted to have a Phoenix! There are many reasons why i would love to keep one! First of all, it has healing powers, which is super cool on its own. The second reason is that they are truly beautiful, and just like Prof. Dumbledore said, fascinating creatures. Their personality seems wonderful! They are loyal, calm and very proud birds. Another reason is that they live forever. Phoenix turns to ash and then it comes back alive. This would be great for me as I easily get attached and so this talent would make me able to keep him/her forever! 

• Like 2

The first book of the Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, and then later the movie, made it hundred percent sure about what creature I love the most. This creature is Niffler! I absolutely adore him! He is truly beautiful and cute, with a bit of a sassy attitude, which makes him look cuter. I love animals that are full of energy and are so goofy that it is just funny. Although nifflers are pretty big troublemakers, it is difficult not to love them. From the personality traits he reminds me a lot a ferret. Ferrets also love to steal stuff!

• Like 2

My Patronus is an Occamy. My personality is an odd combination of Snake, and this quote is from my class: "Snake people often experience big changes but they are highly focused and resilient, so they resolve those issues and heal quickly" and Bird: "Speaking in general terms, although the meaning of a bird Patronus is closely tied to the species of bird, those with a bird Patronus tend to be independent and lovers of freedom. They value individuality, beauty, and self-expression. They possess an indomitable spirit and can rise above adversity." 

If I saw an Occamy, I think it would be drawn to me, seeing similar traits, and we would be kindrid spirits. 

And, besides, they're blue and purple. How gorgeous can you get?

• Like 1

I was strongly considering the Occamy, but I know that the heart of any Occamy I would attempt to take would be drawn to one of my house's newest prefects, February Fortescue.  But there's another Parseltongue-speaking creature that might be a fun challenge to work with:  the three-headed Runespoor.  I always enjoy having more snakes for my Parseltongue ophidiarium, and the discussion between the three heads of the Runespoor could prove illuminating to my students in my Parseltongue course who wish to see the language "in the wild".  And if it gives me some of its eggs, they would be very valuable as Potions ingredients for mental sharpness!  I would persuade the Runespoor to come with me by speaking to it in its language - and telling it how welcome it would be in the dungeons.  I like to think that my persuasion skills would work on the creature...

• Like 1