Hufflepuff Common Room

Wonders of Water - Week 1 Activity - Favorites Discussion

Week One: I want to read about where your favorite place is to enjoy the nature's water. Are you an ocean person or a lake person? Do you like small ponds? Brooks? Streams? Even puddles... who didn't love jumping in puddles as a kid!

02b9b50906969d682df8a4f54fb80cd0_w200.gi

Post in this thread with no less than 100 words and earn 10 diamonds. You will earn additional 10 diamonds if you post more (no less than 100 words), in response to what others say. You have until January 31 to contribute to the discussion. 

My favourite place to enjoy being around water is walking on a beach with the waves coming in at ankle height. I don't really like swimming in the ocean/lake. I have been to the oceanside a few times, but most times that I am around a natural body of water, it is a lake. I prefer the bodies of water with sand beaches, but I have also been to a a rocky beach. But, I do like to look at them and hear the waves. If I am going to go swimming I prefer to be in a pool.  

• Like 2

I might be known, particularly if wearing mud boots, to splash in puddles ... :D

e5981f2190e7ac85181071ed87c1a2e0.gif

I love water wherever it is. The puddles, our seasonal pond (which finally formed a couple of weeks ago), the ocean, rivers. A few years ago, in another location, I lived by a river -- I could look out the window and there it was, rolling along. 

When I was a kid, we'd go to the ocean, driving to different locations at different times. One place we went to, we dug for horseneck clams when the tide was out. In addition to digging for clams, my brother and I explored the sand dunes.    Another favorite place to go was my aunt and uncle's  cabin where we could just traipse a little distance down a few paths and be on the beach. I particularly loved that house and location; it was in the midst of trees and bushes and the sea breezes and winds and salt air were so invigorating.

Now I live where ocean water is just 10 or 15 minutes drive away. I love to walk along the beach, look for sea glass , and just look out across the Strait.

• Like 2

I love lakes! In my area, we are surrounded by them. Most are natural and come with the landscape but many are man made. They are created to go along with state parks, where people can enjoy such activities as golfing, hiking, and camping. With the lakes, it depends on which part of the lake you go to, but certain areas are set aside for swimming (and include lifeguards). Other area are more secluded and you can fish. Some areas allow you to pitch a tent not too far from the water. Finally, each lake comes with a marina, and you can spend a day simply being out on the water! 

• Like 2

Just like @February Fortescue...I also have lakes and rivers around my house!

6 minutes ago, February Fortescue said:

I love lakes! In my area, we are surrounded by them. Most are natural and come with the landscape but many are man made. They are created to go along with state parks, where people can enjoy such activities as golfing, hiking, and camping. With the lakes, it depends on which part of the lake you go to, but certain areas are set aside for swimming (and include lifeguards). Other area are more secluded and you can fish. Some areas allow you to pitch a tent not too far from the water. Finally, each lake comes with a marina, and you can spend a day simply being out on the water! 

One of the best places that I know of is a small reservoir with the River Thames. Sometimes when there is not so much water, there are rocks there that you can walk on. You can find tones of seashells and many different objects such as parts of plates, or some mysterious objects (I have found a weird rock with a human-like form drawn on it, only visible under a certain angle and a duck bone!). You can also feed ducks and swans there, and take some nice photos. The only problem is that you need to wear proper shoes because otherwise, they will get muddy.

• Like 3

My favorite water place is the ocean... but I'm sure you all know that. 

I always lived within driving distance to the ocean. As a kid, my family and I would take the 45 minute drive to Jones Beach to spend a relaxing day at the beach.  We would pack a lunch and snacks, blankets and of course back then... baby oil. Living so close to Long Island, there were plenty of beaches to choose from so we never really got tired of just one. 

Now I live a but further away from the ocean but whenever I can I'll take that 3 to 4 hour drive to spend a weekend by the ocean. Just being able to sit on the beach, closing my eyes and listening to the waves crashing onto the shore is my piece of heaven.

Now though we bring the sunblock!

• Like 1

I love looking at the ocean and seeing the sun rise or set over the water depending on which coast I'm on.  But unfortunately oceans aren't great for swimming in:  too often they're either way too cold (the Southern California coast has no right to be this cold when it's at the same latitude as South Carolina and south of ALL of continental Europe!) or the waves are way too turbulent.  But I still remember my favourite secret swimming spot in Los Angeles, in a cove where the water is much milder and less turbulent than the surrounding "Pacific" Ocean - though I haven't been for a few years.  On this coast, though:  I have to cross state lines for the most accessible swimming spot (in a large bay)... too bad it's way too crowded as it's the closest thing to a beach to where I live!  The real ocean is a full day trip, though - and most of the year it's too cold to bother...

• Like 2

My favourite places to enjoy water would be oceans and seas. I'm really passionate about marine animals, especially dolphins and whales and one of my biggest dreams is to work with them someday. I've also loved swimming ever since I can recall; my parents took me to the swimming pool for the first time when I was less than a year old and I loved it, unlike my brother who was afraid of water and swimming for a long time. When my parents took me to the seaside some time later I fell in love with it and to this day I feel kind of a special connection. The oceans are mighty and powerful and unpredictable, and I love them.

• Like 2

It appears that I'm one of the only 'land babies' here lol.  I don't live near any bodies of water big enough to speak of unfortunately.  My area is pretty much landlocked.  However, that being said, it doesn't stop me from having a favorite place to enjoy water.  When water can't come to you, the next logical thing to do would be to go to the water!  And that is precisely what I did.

A few years ago, my husband and I traveled to the coast of Maine for a much-needed vacation.  One of the most memorable moments of the trip was traveling by boat to a small island where we stayed at the most wonderful B&B. However, I digress.  It was an hour's boat ride to the island, and at one point we lost sight of land completely.  We were surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean on all sides, and literally, that's all you saw.  It was probably one of the most surreal, breathtaking moments I have ever experienced.  I don't know quite how to put it into words, but it made you feel so small.  Breathtaking does not even begin to cover it.  

Plus, the scenery was so much like Ireland.  The rocky cliffs with the waves crashing against them reminded me very much of the Irish coast, a place that is near and dear to my heart.  There was a rugged, wild, beauty to it, and I was entranced.  So, in retrospect, my favorite body of water would have to be the ocean, hands down.  

• Like 2

I'm probably the only person here who isn't a huge fan of water. I wasn't always that way though- when I was a kid I was obsessed with jumping in puddles- and I'll still do it once and a while now. ;) However, I had a near drowning incident a couple years ago, and since then I've been pretty nervous to go near water, especially if it's deep. I am getting better though, and I do dearly love to go to the beach if it isn't too hot out and listen to the waves. I guess I like water as long as I don't have to go in it. I like storms too- I've always had a fascination with thunder and lightning and the power of the wind and rain when it storms!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In case my name doesn't give it away, I love water. I like swimming and playing in just about any kind of water as long as it is pretty clear. I do not have an ocean very close by, but I do have many lakes and rivers. We also have two ponds on our farm. One is for the animals to drink from and play in and one is for fishing. Although I have swam in both of them. There is a national forest close by and as a tradition my family (cousins aunts uncles grandparent) go there every year at the middle of May and go swimming in the stream there. It is usually still very cold, but that is part of the fun. I also like playing in the rain in the spring.

• Like 2

As a kid, I wouldn't have said I was the biggest water kid. I didn't hate water, I definitely went and splashed in puddles and I enjoyed going to the beach. But I didn't really gravitate towards it. In fact, I had plans to move to New Mexico and live in the desert. Don't ask me why, I very much believed I was going to be one of those 'artistes' lol.

But a part of me has always been fascinated by Ireland, as it's our family heritage, and it seems like it's intensified in the last few years. And with that has come a grand fascination with coastal landscapes and oceanic scenes. I'm very much planning on going see Maine when all of the real life stuff settles down, so hopefully next year. *crosses fingers*

• Like 2

I definitely enjoy all bodies of water, but some of my best childhood memories with water have taken place at the ocean. I live in a pretty landlocked area and also did when I was growing up, but my aunt lived out by the coast and I remember visiting her and going to the ocean to be tons of fun. I also visited Costa Rica when I was a teenager and had a ball exploring the ocean there too.

Now though, the most interaction I get with bodies of water are on road trips when we cross rivers and ooh and aah over them as we pass. They've always been the most memorable landmarks to me when traveling alongside mountains. I haven't been to too many lakes but I did have a friend who had a lake house that I got to visit once when we were kids and my uncle took me boating once which was really cool.

• Like 2

My favorite place are the beach and lake. Since my country is known as an archipelagic country, it has a lot of lakes, rivers and the ocean. So, I see the ocean everyday. Actually, I can see the ocean from my house :D Sometimes I will sit in front of my house and waiting for the sunset. 

So yeah my favorite place to enjoy water are a lot though. But, there are about two beaches which kinda close to my home, about one hour riding. The one which closer to my house has a lot of rocks than the sands, and it is a beautiful place to take pictures. The other much like the beach in the first place, it has a lot of sands. And the scenery is beautiful. I love sitting on the sand while reading or walking through the beach and take pictures of the nature. 

Another beautiful place is the lake near our airport. It's beautiful. Not only beautiful but also the place is really peaceful. Far away from the busy street, it's a good place to relaxing. Also there are many good spots for photographer. I often go there on my holiday, just sitting on the gazebo and waiting for the sunset while listening to the birds singing. Across from the lake, there are a beautiful and green meadow. 

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about water. When I was a child I was terrified of it because I couldn’t swim and almost drowned couple of times. When I first met @Louis WallesI didn’t know that at some point of his life he used to a lifeguard at the local pool. It took me some time but he finally managed to persuade me to trust him enough to teach me how to swim.  Although I am not an excellent swimmer, I learnt how to like water rather than be terrified of it. Despite this, I love seas and oceans. Going to the beach it’s one of my favourite things to do during summer holiday! 

• Like 3