Hufflepuff Common Room

Together -Your Choice - Week 2

This week we have a Jigsaw puzzle created from a photograph taken by Fels of a favorite place and a Cryptogram celebrating yet another 'place'.

Again, this is your opportunity to write of your own places for which you are thankful. This is your free-for-all topic!

You choose what you want to post about. Since there are all kinds of places - favorite places to go, a bucket list, favorite restaurants, favorite libraries, favorite ?? - if you like to go there, or would really love to go there, tell us about it! Why is it great, why are you thankful to be there or want to be there?

Earn 25 Diamonds with your response!

If you choose to write, please have at least 75 words to earn the Diamonds.

If you use a photograph or graphic, please write underneath what the photograph or graphic depicts. (Also - remember to keep the size to 600x600 or smaller!)

You have until the end of November to earn your Diamonds. If you respond within a week of this being posted, though, you earn an additional 3 bonus Diamonds:diamond:

A favorite place of mine to go to is the beach.  I am so grateful to live fairly close to ocean water, salt water. (I also used to live by a river, almost stone's throw away, and it was magnificent.)  I love being by water, watching it, feeling it, watching and enjoying the creatures which hang around, seagulls, eagles, plus all kinds of water-fowl. If by the edge of the strait, and walking along, and a wind kicks up, it's just so cleansing. I am thankful that I live so close to the beach; it's only a 15 minute drive to get to a place where I can walk on a sandy shore, look for sea glass, gaze at the bluffs, visit my large boulder friends and just be quiet. :)

• Like 1

There are a lot of places I love to go, but the first thing that came to mind was band rehearsal. I probably thought of it first because I miss it so much right now. Band rehearsal is typically every Thursday night during the school year, in a large music classroom at the local community college. Instrumental music is something I'm passionate about and gave up for way too long before starting again six years ago. I love the feeling of being part of something bigger than myself. I love having somewhere to go where I can forget the world and get lost in the music for a few hours with others who share my passion. True, there are some days where I'm stressed and feel like I'm driving all over the place and getting home late and it frustrates me. But, ultimately, I can't envision my life without it now. 

• Like 4

I will always be thankful to the small island where I grew up. It was a joyful childhood and teenage years, the best kind one could ask for. Of course, there are sorrows, pains, and challenges but it is what it is. All in all, that experience made me who I am today. The mood whenever I go back may not be the same. The roads smaller, less familiar faces. But it will always hold a special place in my heart. I particularly want to visit the pier and watch the sunrise, or sunset, or even just the big moon lighting the sea. 

• Like 2

One of my favorite places that I am thankful for is the beach house up in Maine that my family and I go to every August.

My sister in law and her family have been going there for year. My family had made the trip a few times during those years, but the last 5 years we've been there each summer.  It's a very small beach town, the house is a 2 minute walk to the beach and even with the many other vacationers, it is so peaceful and friendly.

The hustle and bustle of everyday life is soon forgotten once we settle in and head down to the beach.  We've been there so often we really don't do much "sightseeing" as one would do on a vacation. We have seen practically everything that one would want to see. So it's just the beach that draws us in.

Morning starts with getting up before the sunrise,  getting dressed,  and  making a cup of tea to bring on my walk on the beach. Who ever is up at that time will join me.  We walk, chatting and watching the sun rise. The picture we used as the jigsaw puzzle this week is one of the pictures I took during one of these walks. AT some point during the 5 mile walk on the beach, the little ones will join us. The little ones are my niece's son and daughter, ages 3 and 2. They love the beach as much as the rest of us.

After the walk, it's breakfast and packing up for a day on the beach.

And that's it for the rest of the day. Really!  Till dinner time and we go back to the house to make dinner and then go out for ice cream for dessert.

It's all about relaxing.... and that's why Wells Beach is my favorite place to be.

• Like 3

A place thankful for home. Not vacation or wild visit place. But home is favorite place. Why parents home will always be home. Parents home feel comfortable and accepting for all sisters and brother doesn't matter  path.  Home also beautiful I think. Has big pasture land of many colors. Has many hide places if need quiet time alone or at house loud when all siblings home. Always something to do. Never board. Animals to feed and play together. 

• Like 3

My favourite place to hang out in is my local park. Ever since I moved to my area, I absolutely fallen in love with that place and started spending hours there. I have tones of memories from this place. There are ducks there, waterfalls, tones of trees and regular events (such as Dog House Show - I was there with my family and had tones of great fun). Because of covid we haven't been much in there but usually @Harry Walles, our kids and I spend every weekend there reading books and feeding the ducks.

Here is a photo of one of the gardens in the park:

chiswick-garden.jpg

• Like 4

My choice for this week's topic is my hometown - London in Canada! I know it may sound weird however this really exists! 

canada.jpg

Again...because of covid I haven't been there for a while now however potentially I am going to go there next year. My parents still live there and I absolutely love how close it is to the border with the USA!  In London there are tones of beautiful parks and we also have lovely neighborhoods and lakes! There is also diversity so you can meet people from variety of backgrounds, who speak in different languages!

tourism-london-facebook-labatt-park-fork

• Like 4

My current favorite place is my own backyard. it's over an acre of flat land, with a hill on one side, and a creek/brook on the other. We've had a fairly warm fall and I've gotten to spend lots of time outside with the dogs, and watching them running around and playing.  I have a grill where I get to cook out sometimes, and a small picnic area. Lots of unexpected wildlife show up. This photo was taken this year. Aren't they adorable? The fawns are all grown up by now.

jtOcXqx.jpg

• Like 3

Another one of my favorite places that I am thankful for is a tree farm.

That's right... a tree farm. A Christmas Tree farm to be exact. The first Saturday of December we get together with family and friends to go get our Christmas trees. This will be our 39th year. You name the type of tree and they have it. Fields of Douglas Firs, Blue Spruce, Fraser Firs,  and Balsam Firs.  They have grown since we first started going there 39 years ago.  They had a small hut to go into and get a nice mug of hot chocolate, now they have a much bigger "hut" where you can still get hot chocolate, but also sandwiches and such. There's also a building for gifts, wreathes, kissing balls, garland, ornaments and Christmas villages. I always get a kissing ball from there. I leave it up until spring and usually a bird will build their nest in it.

Our numbers have dwindled down, but at one time we would have what we called our Christmas Canavan". Some years we totaled 15 families going together.  We would bundle up the kids, pulling them on sleds up into the field to pick out that special tree. Afterwards, when the trees were safely tucked into the truck bed (my brother in law would bring his truck and we would load all the trees in it and he would delivery them to their rightful owners that night) we would all go on the horse drawn sleigh ride (snow permitting). They even have reindeer!

Now that the kids are grown, we still go but there's less tracking up the hills to the fields and we pick out our tree from the ones that are already cut down.  We have our yearly Christmas Outing picture taken and then we head out to the local restaurant for our "Friend Christmas".

November-2020-Together-in-Thankfulness-p

Click for larger picture

November-2020-Together-in-Thankfulness-p

Click for larger picture

• Like 2

One of the places I am thankful for is the karate dojo I go to. Over the years we have become a family. I like to go there to get away from the stresses of everyday life, and check how my karate family is doing. They have been supportive of me in both karate and the choices I make in my life.

The dojo is a place for people to train, to reflect on their training, and find ways to improve.

• Like 3

There have been so many places I’ve loved visiting, more than I can logically count, but for some reason my two favorite places have been on total opposite sides of each other. The one is a cabin my family has that we go to on vacations and it’s so calm there that I love just hanging out and being in the moment. I get to bring a bunch of books with me and read on the front porch all day without a single care.

My other favorite place would have to be London. Even though I’ve only been there once, I had a lot of fun and I loved the city. I’ve always liked big cities and something about London made it my favorite one to be in. Maybe it was how unfamiliar I was with it, being in another country and all, or maybe it was just the excitement of the trip, but either way, that’s my other favorite place to be :lol:

• Like 2