Hufflepuff Common Room

We've had a sudoku, with emphasis on gratitude and a fallen letters, focusing on the quality of thankfulness.

But, what if you wanted something more, something else for us to mention so you could talk about it? This is your 'Your Choice' topic!

You choose what or who you want to post about. Since there are "people of all kinds- could be two-legger, four-legger, feathered, scaled --- if it has a name and you regard it as a people, that's 'people'",  what would you like to say? Would you like to show a picture of a favorite person or people (or write a description of this person or people) and say why you are thankful for them?  Or ... what is one of your favorite people to be grateful to (or for)?

Earn 25 Diamonds with your response!

If you choose to write, please have at least 75 words to earn the Diamonds.

If you use a photograph or graphic, please write underneath what the photograph or graphic depicts. (Also - remember to keep the size to 600x600 or smaller!)

You have until the end of November to earn your Diamonds. If you respond within a week of this being posted, though, you earn an additional 3 bonus Diamonds:diamond:

The person I am grateful for is my lovely husband @Harry Walles. There are plenty of reasons why he is so important to me, and writing all of them in here would took me waaaay more than 75 words, so I am going to just choose couple of them.

I am aware that not many people are super supportive of the LGBT community. My foster family is extremely homophobic (leaving behind the fact they don't like me either way), so were my biological parents. Therefore, I grew up in believing there's clearly something wrong with me for liking both girls and boys. When I discovered my current family's opinion about LGBT, I decided to be quiet and come out only when I will have to do so.  My husband was clearly the reason. He has always been there for me, when most people decided to leave me behind for no reason. He was there when I had a car accident which resulted in me being in a coma for a month, and 6 months of rehabilitation as I lost my right hip and right side of my pelvis. He was and is there when I have PTSD attacks and panic attacks when I have bad days and remember about my abusive childhood. He is there when I don't know what to do and need some advice. He always knows what to do or say when I see people being loved by their parents, something I will never experience. He always has my back, and makes sure I am not feeling like I am less than other people. He taught me how to come out of my shell and accept that I am not straight and there's nothing wrong with that. 

As this post is already longer than it was supposed to be, I am going to add some photos of our ferret, Thunder. I am also grateful for her as she makes me laugh a lot (even when she has a bad day and hates me for no reason whatsoever)

Thunder.jpgThunder-2.jpgThunder-3.jpgThunder-4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Thank you, Louis, for sharing your story. I'm so happy for you that you've found your person who will support you through thick and thin no matter what. You've certainly gone through many trials and tribulations in your life, and I'm glad that you've found a home at HOL where you feel safe talking about that. I'm happy to have both of you here, and I'm sure others are too! Your ferret is also adorable. <3

I'm thankful for my parents, my boyfriend, and my dog, but what I want to talk about is how thankful I am for my students. I'm a School Counselor at the high school level. I work at a school that is over 60% minority, and I've found myself specifically working with our population of English language learners - many of whom have recently arrived in the country and/or are undocumented. These young people have given me a completely different perspective on the world and changed me from being my traditionally shy, timid self into someone who advocates and speaks up when I see something inequitable going on. I've learned so much about so many different cultures, and I've been able to make parents feel included and educated about what's going on in our school and district through my fluency in Spanish. I guess for that I need to include that I'm incredibly thankful for all of my teachers along the way who pushed me to expand my bilingual abilities.  Had I started my career anywhere else, I don't think I'd ever have gotten this experience. 6 years later and there's no place else I'd rather work. 

Also, to continue the pet sharing, here's my sleepy English Bulldog child, Teddy: 

bug.jpg

• Like 7

Want to shoot grateful/loving propts to Louis as well for his lovely share. <3

I'd like to post in Thankful Gratitude toward my Partner as well.

When I write about him on IRC I try to be mindful of calling him "Wil" so that it doesn't Ping our lovely and formidable Mister Lestrange. However, the person I'm referring to is actually my fiance. We got engaged this past Christmas. Originally planned to get married over 10/10/2020, but that very quickly got postponed.

Life with me and WIll (again, not Will Lestrange, however much of a crush I may have on him as well) has been an interesting journey over the years. When we met, I had just moved into my sister's home to nanny for her children for the summer, and my now Fiance was living with a roommate about a hour or so south of us. We spent most weekends together when we could. Then, a few months in, (once I was finishing up what was needed of me at my Sister's) I moved into his home for a month with the roommate/landlord he had at the time.

At that point, since I didn't have an apartment of my own in Maine again yet, I had been planning on spending some time in Virgina where my Mother lives, so spent about the next 6mo in Alexandria. Will visited, considering moving if need be. Even more than once. In some ways we wondered if we perhaps might wind up in those parts. That being said, that just wasn't 'for him' and he decided to go live at his own mother's home in Maine before I was able to find an apartment together in the home state and transition back to Vacation Land.

Our first year living together was... interesting. The first few weeks in particular basically consisted of us staring at each other while drinking coffee without any furniture or decorative, given that all our stuff was dispersed around a number of places not so near to that home. The second month was probably the worst part, if you check off the number of times we were at each other's throats. This apartment became very close to our hearts in a lot of ways, but most importantly it didn't offer us much in the way of successful location alternatives, and our landlord just so happened to be kinda... awful.

Next, we lived for the summer/early fall of our second year at a location that was perfectly beautiful in so many ways, yet similarly didn't offer us very much longevity. Will was the Front of House Manager for a restaurant that we lived on-site for (called "The Barn") in a gorgeous upstairs apartment of an old house that reminded me of the home I grew up in with my four siblings. Sadly, we didn't feel like we had much say in the space, and he got burnt-out on being underappreciated for that job/position, so it wasn't all that sad when our dreams came true in the beginning of 2020.

Me and My Partner had teamed up with My Mom to buy a new space for all of us. What would someday become her Maine space after moving home from Virginia at some point down the line. Neither me or Will would have been able to acquire a space like this withoiut a little help, and my Mom has been saying for years that she'd love to start putting a little time, energy, and money into having a home back in Maine for when she decides to retire. This became the perfect fit when me and Will were hoping to find a long-term home together, and my Mom (who doesn't plan to move back home to Maine anytime soon) wanted to start making sure she had a space to land if/when she ever visits or decided to move back to the state.

If you had asked me or Will last year, two years ago, or (God forbid) three years ago, I don't think either one of us would have imagined how lucky we would have become in making it this far together. Not to mention having the blessings we have as a couple. We are both fairly dramatic/floater-style "gypsies" who are always onto the next thing and always letting go of what came behind. The fact that we've been able to last for the last few years at all is a huge gift in my mind, yet it also speaks to the ways we've been able to overcome certain challenges and fears.

Edited by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
  • Like 7

I grateful for sister. Really grateful for all siblings, but especially this sister. We 14 months apart. Sister push me to do best. Some other sibling want to jump in and do thing for me like at a restaurant will order for me, but sister let me order myself. She push me to be independent and not let Deaf stand in way. She also best friend and always there when need help or vent. She make sure I always include with her friends.  

• Like 6

I'm grateful for life it self.

The good things and the not so good ones have shaped me and everything around me and have made me the person I am today. I am proud of who I am, for the things I've overcome and the mistakes I've made as well.

Life puts many things, people and events in our paths and it's up to us how we choose to walk this. Life is just one and it's our job to make the most out of it. 

We will suffer but we will have joy. We will mess up but we will also fix things. It's all in our power to take a different look, a different perspective of what surrounds us.

This all might sound cheesy but I hope it resonates with you and that you can also make the most out of your life and be thankful for every road you take.

• Like 7

I also am grateful to Life. It's so nifty strange, in a way, that I came in here intending to post that and saw Carrie had just posted the same thing!  :high5:   

More specifically, at this very moment I am grateful to Louis Walles and Harry Walles, because I do keep mixing up with whom I'm chatting in PM replies, and they are so gracious to be patient with me!  Thank you! :blush:  (I'm also looking forward to what Harry writes ... but I have a feeling (from the PMs he's written) that the flavour, while wonderful, might be a little different :D

And, yes, for those who know, I am grateful for the companionship of Taya the Leopard Dog. She allows me to share 'her' bed ..... (yes, Katelin, she has several beds in the house, including mine), knows the precise time to eat (without using a wristwatch), and protects me from things that go bump in the dark quite ferociously.

November-2020-Together-in-Thank-Taya.jpg

• Like 6

I'm grateful for families.

Not necessarily the one we're born into, because some of them aren't quite the most accepting of who we are as individuals or as human beings, or who reject us because we don't live up to their expectations (although some were born into wonderful families, and those count, too!) I'm talking about the families we choose for ourselves.

I remember growing up in one of those nightmare childhoods, and I decided that, once I turned eighteen, I'd move out, get the college degree, create my life where I chose to, and decide for myself who my family was going to be, and that's exactly what I did. Granted, it has also turned out to include several cousins and a brother whom I love with all my heart, but the important part is that I got to create the family of my choosing. 

My favorite Disney character is Cinderella. She also chose her own family when her stepmother and stepsisters rejected her, and as soon as she could, she left and never looked back. She never saw herself as a victim. She was the eternal optimist. Growing up, I modeled myself after her. 

I'm told she's a Hufflepuff. Maybe. But I see Slytherin as well. 

uavPvgZ.jpg

• Like 5

I am grateful for my one of my sisters (I appreciate all of my siblings, but this one in particular I am grateful for). I am grateful for her opening her home to me, for always being there for me and encouraging me to keep bettering myself.

I am also grateful to my animals, I don't know where I would be without them, they keep me grounded and I can't imagine not having at least one animal in my household.

• Like 5

First of all I want to thank both @Prof. Tarma Amelia Blackand my husband @Louis Walles for mentioning me in their posts! As I have expected Louis doing something as such (:D), I haven't thought Tarma would choose me for her post! Thank you so much, it means a lot to me that both Louis and I have found such a welcoming, loving and friendly community! I am thankful for meeting you Tarma because you are truly a great Sett Member, an excellent Professor and you are always friendly and helpful! (You have such a cute dog btw :wub:).

I am also grateful for having @Louis Walles in my life! I am truly proud of you (as always) that you are becoming more and more comfortable about yourself! As you know, I always have your back and this aspect will never change. It's great that despite everything you have went through (and heard)  in life you can still be the best version of yourself, the best husband and a great father! I am extremely grateful to have you in my life as you have taught me so much about myself, about life and how love should be like. You made me more proud of who I am, less scared of being out. Because of you I am no longer ashamed of being very 'gay'  and dress however I want (and rocking with my make up)! 

I am also grateful for having my mum and dad around. Even though they divorced when I was around 7 years old, and their mutual hate towards one another, they still support me and have never judged me for being gay. I know I decided not to be a lawyer but hey...being an accountant is not really that far from law!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I can not tell you how much my heart swells hearing your stories, Sindor and  Harry and Louis, and knowing that you feel comfortable telling them to us. It makes me so proud of my Badgers for being the welcoming people they are. 

I am thankful for marrying into the warmest, loving, craziest family. I met my hubby down in NYC. He was going to school there and I had lived there all my life. When we got engaged we decided I would move up to Albany where he was working at the time. He was born and raised up there and his family all lived there. 

I came from a small family, my mom, dad and one sister. He on the other hand was one of seven kids. But from day one, I never felt like an outsider with his family. Moving so far from home and leaving my family, one would have thought it would be difficult. But it wasn't. A friend of mine had asked me, what I planned on calling my new in-laws. I told her, I planned to call them "Mom" and "Dad". She was surprised, "How can you do that? They aren't your parents." What she didn't realize, that yes, I wasn't one of their own, but they always made me feel like I was. The whole family did.

Now 39 years later, nothing has changed. Well, only that my "new" family has grown. From the original 7, then their spouses, and kids, and now their kids, the family now totals 42.  And they/we are still the craziest family I know. There is never a dull moment. Through good times and bad we are there for each other, and really isn't that what family is all about?

• Like 6

For this one, I would like to thank for this community, HOL, the people involved, everyone. This site is an escape from the stress of life for most of us. This has been a special community for me. It continuously amazes me how all of us, with different nationalities and backgrounds get to enjoy each other's companies, stories, and games. So, to all of you who are here, thank you from the bottom of my heart, truly. :)

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

This is really tough because there are so many people in my life that I love. I’d say my parents are top on the list because they have worked hard to get me and my siblings where we’re at. They’ve always supported us and have been there for each of us, so I’m most thankful for them. As far as animals go, I’m definitely thankful for all of the pets I have had and of course my cockatiel, Coconut (Coco!), because he’s a sweetheart and he’s always so full of energy, saying hi to everyone as they walk by his cage ^_^ 

November-2020-Together-photo-DM.jpg

• Like 3