Hufflepuff Common Room

HOL Show of Hands: Deathly Hallows

HOL Show of Hands: Deathly Hallows  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HOLers, 

Welcome to the HOL Show of Hands, a survey thread to get to know the opinions and takes of HOLers on different matters. For the first survey, we ask you which of the three Deathly Hallows would you choose? Each of the three has its own advantages and disadvantages. 

You get to earn 10 beans for answering the poll and another 10 beans for contributing to the discussion. You have until November 30, 2020, 11:59 PM HOL time to answer the survey. 

I would choose the Invisibility cloak.

Come on, do you know how useful that thing would be? Oh to have had one when I was a student when Belle and I were creating havoc... I mean studying so hard.  Or for when Mercury and I snuck down to the kitchens to make pancakes and ending having a pancake flour "fight"... we wouldn't have had to do the clean up.

Now, I could use it to make my way up to my office  hiding all the packages I get from all the local shops. And sneaking down into the kitchens for a late night snack. Or sneaking out of the castle when Kenneth Troll has his fabulous holiday sale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is a hard choice- the power of the wand, the invisibility the cloak provides you, and the potential to bring back loved ones with the Resurrection stone.

I think ultimately I would choose the resurrection stone, so I could speak to loved ones who have passed, but I also think it would be hard to resist the temptation to keep them here and not let them go, which could have the potential to cause issues such as not being able to move on with my life and instead dwell on things that cannot be changed.

I do not need to be undefeated and possibly become a target for others, who desire power. I don't really feel the need to be invisible, I could just hide in a different room with locking charms. And, if I felt the need to go out past curfew, I could try a disillusionment charm and a silencing charm.

• Like 3

Earlier, I'd written I'd choose the Elder Wand, because I remembered that is what I'd replied in a previous questionnaire.  But .... I was thinking about it, and edited my post, and realized that there is more to it than what I'd written so am starting again.

This is what I had before -  I'd choose the Elder Wand.  My main purpose in choosing it would be that it would give me an advantage of defense.  I'd 'set it' that it is like a great big and mighty magical immune system so that any overt (or sneak) attack is just dissolved (or maybe, depending on the hex, curse or charm, rebounds back to its caster). 

But ... thinking about it, I realized I wouldn't want to have the Resurrection Stone. Nor did I find the idea of an Invisibility Cloak all that interesting. Why would I want to have a wand, if it was known I had it, that others would want to fight me and defeat me, to obtain? So, I don't think I'd really want any of the Deathly Hallows!

However, if having to choose one --    A wand is useful, and, as Mr. Ollivander said, the wand is only as good as the wizard. So the uses that I'd have for the wand (in addition to programming it for defensive magic) would be for general magic, of perhaps helping the garden to grow, of healing wounds, of 'good' stuff. I think it would work just fine. And I'd for sure not tell anyone that it was Elder wood with a thestral hair core. Nope. 

• Like 2

I would've chosen the resurrection stone. I've too many people and pets that I would like another chance with, although I'd make sure to send them back in due time so that they don't suffer the same fate as the brother's sweetheart. It is smart? Probably not.

• Like 3

Definitely not the Resurrection Stone as it doesn't seem to really bring people back; just shades of them.  It would be a toss-up between the other two for me... except that people have done much better with the Invisibility Cloak than the Elder wand - so I'll go with the Cloak for that reason!

• Like 2

I decided to go with the Invisibility cloak. Ever since I have watched Harry Potter I wanted that cloak. In my opinion this is the coolest thing ever! I don't like surprises so I think the cloak would allow me to secretly see what gifts I will get for Christmas etc!

• Like 3

I would like the Invisibility Cloak. The wand will be no use for me - I already have one and I like it. I do not believe in the ressurection stone, the middle brother died because of it. The cloak of Invisibility, it's just perfect. I can go anywhere I wish, without anyone finding out about it!

• Like 3

I also agree with the majority - I would love to have the Invisibility Cloak. The main reason for my decision is I like the idea of having a say in terms of when you die. The idea that I can protect my family at the same time when I die it's also quite fascinating for me.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Invisibility Cloak is the one for me. I can go anywhere unnoticed and hide myself and some other personal things with it. I don't need the resurrection stone because you'd be better off accepting the deaths of your loved ones instead of constantly talking to someone that is no longer in your world reminding yourself that they are gone. I don't need the Elder Wand because that would make me very powerful with trying an that is unfair to others. (Also I haven't learnt how to cast spells yet.)

• Like 3