Hufflepuff Common Room

Plants of Wonder - Week 2 - Discussion

I grew up in an island, with abundant plants of all sorts. Growing up, we would spend hours climbing trees, picking their fruits and eating them right there, playing tag game on the branches, among others. We would also play all sorts of games under their shades throughout the afternoon. There's this kind of tree in the beach of our hometown called "Talisay" or Indian Almond. We would spend the late afternoon hitting the fruits with rocks, trying to get the edible kernel inside. But maybe the memory I would like to highlight is the advice of my parents to look at the green colors of vegetation, trees, and plants to lessen the motion sickness I would feel every time I travel by boat or bus to the city every summer. These greens would somehow make me feel better. 

The wonders of plants are often overlooked, unsaid, and forgotten, especially at these times where life moves forward to the cities, the not-green, literally or metaphorically. For this week, we urge you to record in this thread the moments and times you get to experience the wonders of plants. Post in this thread with no less than 100 words and earn 10 diamonds. You will earn additional 10 diamonds if you post more (no less than 100 words), in response to what others say. You have until October 31 to contribute to the discussion. 

• Like 1

I live now in the Pacific Northwet (spelled that way deliberately), where there is an absolute abundance of plants. Wild roses, flowering plants of all kinds, mosses, ferns, tall fir trees, salal, oh there are so many and these are just what I can see looking out my doorway! But the specific plants of wonder that I wish to first write about is ... sagebrush. I absolutely love the fragrance of sagebrush! When I lived in California and went on endurance rides in the Nevada desert, one of the most spectacular things, besides the endless rolling terrain, was the scent of the sagebrush. The clean, crisp, dry, cold air, the crisp blue of the sky and ... the crisp aroma of sagebrush. Coming from the middle of California, in the foothills of the state, and traversing the Sierra Nevada mountains, it's like entering into a different world - so beautiful - and the sagebrush holds its own quite well.

• Like 3

I live in the main city of my country so green is not the usual color you see, but my mother loves plants and she would always buy one or two every time she go to the country side to make our house look more "alive" as she like saying. I love plants in general. I wish I was with Tarma to see all the plants she gets to see everyday now. *jealous*

There is one plant that I always look back with much fond. It's a Bouganvillea that my grandmother gave my parents when they first moved to the house they currently live in. 

Bouganvilleas tend to flourish in the Summer and die in the Winter. The flower it gives are bright purple-pink-ish and since it's also a climbing plant it covers a big part of the wall in our backyard. 

When my grandmother was sick during the Spring time the Bouganvillea stopped flourishing. It didn't flourish during that Summer and then 6 months later my grandmother passed away at the beginning of Fall season. The cold weather was upon us that year and one day while we were having lunch as a family, my father looked out the window which leads directly to the plant, and started crying. The Bouganvillea had flourished in Winter! which only happened that specific year, so we took it as my grandmother being connected to that beautiful plant and telling us she was in a better place. 

Since that day (this was 11 years ago) the plant keeps growing on Summer time and dies in Winter to then come back to life in Spring little by little.

It's that spiritual or odd connection between the human soul and the plants that is a Wonder to me <3

• Like 3

I've never been very good at growing plants, but I had decided to give it another shot. A decade or so ago, I went walking through a local nursery and spotted a Snake Plant (zero connection to Slytherin - I think.) I've always been told they were impossible to kill unless you practically drowned them, and this plant is looked really appealing to me and quite lovely, so I brought it home. Guess what? It lived! For years. I kept it on a shelf in the corner of my living room and was careful to never over-water it. Every year when we had a power outage, since I once heated with electricity, I would carry the plant to my car when I drove to mom's and take it inside to keep it warm. This worked out really well until I realized the plant had multiplied and needed to be moved into all sorts of other pots. One pots was no longer enough! A friend talked me into giving my plant to her. 

A couple of years ago, I learned that Snake Plants can bloom. I had no idea! Next year, my goal is to bring home another Snake Plant  and make it so happy it blooms :D

HicTQqA.jpg

(not my photo)

• Like 2

I recently went to a local farm with my mom for their Sunflower Festival. It began the last week of September and lasts through the month of October. This was the farm's first Sunflower Festival. They are actually known for their tulips and have had a Tulip Festival in the spring for the past few years.

3HgN9tY.jpg iFnpWI5.jpg 335w7MD.jpg

It is still early autumn, so not all the flowers were fully bloomed yet. The sunflowers were in the back, so we had to walk through rows of other flowers to get there. There were many different shades of chrysanthemums and several different types of lilies. You can see that they must use this set up for their tulips. It was especially nice to see the bees hanging out with the sunflowers!

• Like 3

My favorite plant, and the only one I have in my home right now is my Christmas Cactus. I was told it's suppose to bloom sometime during the Christmas holiday, but this one is just starting to bloom now. I guess I can call it a Halloween Cactus this year. Seeing that it's a cactus, during the summer I put it outside on my porch to live in the heat. When the weather gets a bit chillier, I bring it back inside to get it out of the freeze.  

https://imgur.com/pRFxUlx

• Like 3

I tend to either overwater my plants or just completely forget to water them. So, I don't have a lot of plants. One of the plants I do have is a money tree. Money trees tend to grow best in indirect sunlight, and they don't like too much water. It has been doing alright so far, and I've had it for more than a year.

For outside greenery I tend to prefer trees. I like to watch the changing of the leaves colours in Autumn (and stepping on the fallen leaves, for the crunching sound). When I'm in the car, one of my favourite things to look at is the trees and fields.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I live by the Park which used to be an estate of a British politician Edward Wardour. The park and the house are dated to 1600's but currently the place is used as a park rather than an estate. The place is truly beautiful, full of trees and nature. In addition, it has a lake with a waterfall, bridges and wild life (goose, ducks, swans, turtles etc.) The park has many different types of tree which can be found everywhere such as sycamore tree or oak tree. The park has some leftovers from it's original purpose such as a beautiful house surrounded with statues. My family and I try to go there as much as possible! 

image-2020-10-29-001314.pngchiswick-garden.jpgChiswick-house.png

• Like 3

I wanted to write about the same thing as Harry:

13 hours ago, Harry Walles said:

I live by the Park which used to be an estate of a British politician Edward Wardour. The park and the house are dated to 1600's but currently the place is used as a park rather than an estate. The place is truly beautiful, full of trees and nature. In addition, it has a lake with a waterfall, bridges and wild life (goose, ducks, swans, turtles etc.) The park has many different types of tree which can be found everywhere such as sycamore tree or oak tree. The park has some leftovers from it's original purpose such as a beautiful house surrounded with statues. My family and I try to go there as much as possible! 

image-2020-10-29-001314.pngchiswick-garden.jpgChiswick-house.png

So because this idea is taken I decided I am going to write about something else. Therefore, my topic is about a nature reserve in Poland called Segiet. I happened to be there once, a long time ago when I was around 8-9 years old. I particularly remember this place for its beauty. The trip over there didn't take long (so did our tour around the reserve) but it was truly a place worth visiting. The area which particularly intrigued me was a mysterious alley which looked truly magnificent. I am planning to go there again, maybe this time for longer (I will definitely need a map). Below you can find 3 photos taken by me, when I was visiting that place!

segiet.jpgsegiet-3.jpgsegiet-2.jpg

• Like 3