Hufflepuff Common Room

Fireside Discussion: Those Yesteryears

The Fat Friar

How are you, my dears? Especially my dear ickle first years. It's great to see you, each one of you. 

How are you doing? Are you enjoying the classes? Oh, I remember when I was still taking classes. It seemed like a very long time ago. I remember so little now. I like taking Charms - the spells. I miss my wand. Where did I left it? Maybe Nick has it, will ask him later. Where was I? Yeah, Charms. We would spend the night practicing the spells here in this spot in the Fireside. Oh, good old times. All I can say is, enjoy it while it lasts. I hope to hear more from you. 

Participate in the discussions with the Fat Friar and earn 10 diamonds per post (minimum of 5 sentences). You can earn more diamonds by engaging more in the discussion. 

• Like 1

Hi Fat Friar! So glad to see you around now. :)

Classes? Well, I've enrolled in five classes for this term and am happy to report that I did all the homework for one of them already!  The homeworks for September were all done and sent in timely but now it's October and I need to look at those. :o

I have some really interesting classes -- one of them is sort of difficult, but it's still interesting! 

As for Charms? Oh, I know a little about Charms ... and about Wand-making too, I guess!  :D

10 diamonds to Tarma!

• Like 1

Hello Friar! It's so glad to see you wandering our halls. Ahhhhh, classes. This term I've only signed up for 2 classes. One class I have been trying to complete for a while now, but there always seems comes up and I just can't get the work done. I have submitted the assignments to September and I need to get a start on October's as well. I'm just hoping life slows down a bit for that to happen. Perhaps now that I am talking (typing) about it, I'll do that tonight.  Then maybe with the assignments out of the way I can get a jump start on Huffleween... or pack for my weekend trip... or find spelling games for my RL class... or iron..... well now you see why I have a hard time completing most everything.

10 diamonds to Fels!

• Like 2

• The Fat Friar changed the title to Fireside Discussion: How's HOL?

Oh, Tarma, Fels, dears. You two don't need to do classes anymore. But of course, us Hufflepuffs love some work, work, and more work. Blame Helga for this, hehe. But no worries, we have industrious students here and outside Hufflepuff. I love seeing them in the libraries, working until late nights. It reminds me when I was the one studying there. 

Anyway, enough of classes. I've heard that Huffleween is coming to an end. I missed it again this time. *sighs* I love that part of the year when I was still a student. So, tell me about it. What happened in Huffleween? Or better yet, tell me how's HOL doing so far? I bet you have lots of stories to tell. 

Oh, there, have some cookies. :) 

• Like 1

Huffleween was lots of fun, Mr. Friar. (Thanks for the cookies!  :coffee:  )

Fels had all kinds of activities to do, and it was really sort of fun to delve into aspects of Halloween that I'd not encountered before. I was pretty much only familiar with Addams Family, so the other things were new to me.

Bunches of folks, from all the Houses of HOL Hogwarts, participated, and several people got the Award which was handed out for doing 7 or more of the 13 days of Huffleween. (The award was a picture of Morticia, from Addams Family. :wub: )

10 diamonds to Tarma!

• Like 1

Fat Friar! I also enjoyed Huffleween. Actually, Halloween is not that big of a deal in the island I grew up in so I am not that familiar to the movies. Nonetheless, it is a great way to learn new things. And the activities were fun, too. I like that it is just 13 days. But those 13 days are jam-packed which makes up for the whole experience. The award, yeah, pretty neat addition to my collection. :coffee::high5:

10 diamonds to Sirius!

• Like 2

Oh, Friar, you know it's always good to learn new things and HOL offers so many interesting subjects. Plus there are some that I signed up for before and RL got in the way and I never finished the class. So this term I am determined to finally finish one of them.

Huffleween was so much fun! I got to share some of my favorite Halloween movies with my fellow Badgers and visitors from the other Houses. I'm not one for scary movies so I shared the more family friendly movies. They are movies I could watch every day and never get tired of them.

10 diamonds to Fels!

• Like 2

Hi there Friar! I have enjoyed my classes so far (I am doing 5 of them - A Beginner's Guide to Villainy, Ancient Civilizations, Astrology and Harry Potter, Magical Numbers, Muggle Studies for Beginners) and I am up to date with all homework! I also enjoyed Huffleween! It was not only a great fun which was much needed due to lack of trick or treating here in the UK, but a great opportunity to earn some diamonds. I am super proud that I managed to get the reward and earn all diamonds available. Also, I am supper happy because so far I have earned the most diamonds in HOL(1,589)! 

10 diamonds to Harry!

• Like 3

Hi Friar! Like Harry, I also do 5 classes -  A History of Things, Hol Genetics, Introduction to Sign Language, Muggle Studies Pop Culture, The Magic of Forensic Science. Some of my classes are slightly more difficult but I am trying my best. In terms of Huffleeween I have to say I loved it! I joined in may this year so despite being a second year student, this is my first Huffleeween!  I completed every task and I am definitely looking forward to the next year one! I am also not that far from Harry when it comes to the diamond count, and I am definitely in top 5!

10 diamonds to Louis!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dears, is this something about movies, like those used by Muggles? I've heard about it from the gossips of the maidens in the third floor painting by the Charms Corridor. Ohhh, that must have been fun! Yeah, so you collect diamonds now? I remembered when the house still collects socks, and then shifted to citrines, and now the shiny diamonds! I would like to have some of them, too. But they are too shiny for my liking. *shyly smiles* I miss Huffleween! 

Ohh, two new ickles here in the Fireside! One a Hufflepuff and the other a Slytherin! Welcome to Hufflepuff! You may not notice me from time to time but I am here now. Make sure you have a comfortable stay here. Ohhh, diamond top earners, you two are! Keep it up so you get to receive the end-of-year diamond awards. Great job, you two!

Now, have you seen Wilbur? I've heard he is in a dilemma this month, with the HOLidays fast approaching and all. Tell him not to worry, we got badgers and HOLers alike that will save the celebrations this year. That's for sure. So, what are you excited for this coming HOLidays? Surely you have something to look forward to. Share, share! Here's pumpkin pies and some tea. Yeah, tea is good. Tea is always good. *nods* 

• Like 1

• The Fat Friar changed the title to Fireside Discussion: It's the Huffle HOLidays!

Thank you for the tea, it is nice to finally meet you Friar. There seem to be many different activities throughout HOL, happening to celebrate the HOLidays this year. I look forward to joining as many of the celebrations as I can. I've even started helping Wilbur out, hopefully we can finish all of the necessary preparations in time. Hopefully, Wilbur doesn't need my help wrapping presents, or they will look lumpy and terribly wrapped (even the boxes). Will the Ghosts be having a special celebration for themselves? What do you do to mark the holidays, and a new year?

10 diamonds to Mia!

• Like 2

Hi Fat Friar!

Hi Mia and no I'm not at IRC :o for you to bug!  I am busy counting up diamonds and getting a WONDERFUL new thing up in the Games Tent. And also I'm playing in the Sleigh Ride area, helping out Wilbur.  :halo:  

Well, maybe not precisely helping Wilbur but having lots of fun.  :cheer:  I've still go to do a couple things, though, I notice.  :reading:

10 diamonds to Prof. Tarma!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, Fat Friar!

I would just like to greet you and everyone a very Huffie HOLidays! Spending time with loved ones is one of the messages of the holidays so it is thrilling that I get to spend them with you and the rest of HOL people. *nods* I am looking forward to more activities, tasks, homework, among many others. Cheers to that. :dance:

P.S. Oh yeah, been also helping Wilbur with his dilemma. No worries, everyone is here to help him. :) 

10 diamonds to Sirius!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, hello there, Mia! Welcome to the Sett! It is my first time talking to you. Ahh, yes, we ghosts tend to be silent and isolated, trapped in this empty and hollowness. So I for one would like to thank you, the living, for being noisy and fun. It is what you do that makes us happy. We mark the celebrations by laughing with you, like this recently-concluded HOLidays. 

Speaking of party, that was a blast. I would like to thank everyone for helping Wilbur out in organizing it. That was fun, indeed! Tarma and Sirius, yes. Having fun is what's most important. Oh, it's 2021 already. Just some random number for me but still looking forward for new adventures and new people to talk to. You? What are you most looking forward to? The deadline of homework on January 15? Finish them badgers, HOLers! Enjoy the rest of the year! :dance:

• Like 2

• The Fat Friar changed the title to Fireside Discussion: Happy 2021!

Hi Fat Friar

I've done all but 3 of my assignments for the Fall Term, and one of those 3 is almost done. I've submitted the homework for the rest of the classes so yay.  :)  I'm sort of looking forward to finishing them up, but then have to make sure I get the homeworks sent in for the classes I teach graded and points submitted.

Two of them are 'year long' classes; I wonder if I will pick up 3 more, to fill out the 5 for the Spring Term?

:reading:

10 diamonds to Tarma!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, hello! I almost walked straight into you there, I'm so sorry about that! It's wonderful to see you - or, I suppose, almost not see you. ;) 

I'm doing pretty well. All my classes are far more challenging now that we're nearing the end of the first semester, but I can't complain. Oh, homework feels a lot less hard when it's so much fun. And, wow. I mean, this place is just so cozy. I can see how wonderful it could be to practice spells here with your friends.

You had friends, right?

Well, I mean, of course you had friends. You're - you're incredibly friendly. You must have had lots of friends. Um, yes. Yes. :( Well...

It was great to talk to you, too. I - I enjoyed this. So, I'll see you soon? :D Awesome.

10 diamonds to Marianne!

• Like 3

Hello Friar, nice to meet you at last.  I have something to tell you,  I didnt do any assignments last term at all. Mostly because I always leave everything to the last minute and I found myself doing them the day they were due!  But it was even more stressful when I had to find word searches and do them, I usually started them about 3 days before they were due, and of course there were always one or two words I couldn't find at the time, but mostly I managed to finish them in time  for the "deadline".  But I will definitely do them next term. The only thing is I started HOL in 2003 so I have done a lot of assignments already, and its difficult to find the subjects that I havent done.

I have been reading back and it sounded like you all had a great time in the HOLidays, I'm sorry I missed it, but I was busy with family and getting ready for Christmas, but I will definitely help next time. Well I will come and talk to you again, Marianne is right you are incredibly friendly :)

10 diamonds to Asky!

• Like 3

Hello Friar! It's good to finally meet you! Having fun is super important and I'm so glad there's so much fun that fills these halls. You're right, 2021 is indeed just another set of numbers, but I can't help but still be filled with a sense of excitement. I'm actually kind of pumped to get to work on my OWLs and learn as much as I can and I'm really looking forward to all the classes that will be offered next term. I have a few ideas for a class I'd like to put together but I haven't had the time to do so yet. Maybe I'll get around to it for next school year!

10 diamonds to Aure!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, dears! You all are wonderful! Doing homework is good but enjoying doing them is better! Don't worry Asky, you just have to set the time for homework in advance. Sometimes, it works out. Sometimes, it is just hard. I remember having being busy with some of my friends because of some deadline the next day. Oh, those were fun times! What matters is you enjoy them. Yes Marianne, I had some friends. I vaguely remember them now but your name sounds familiar. I am thinking I may had a friend named like yours. We just have to make the best out of any thing or experience given to us. Like what you said, Aure. *nods* I hope this year will be a good one for all of us, yes, even for us non-living. 

I am sensing another start of a new term, with students whispering new classes, schedules. I always appreciate the smiles and interest of the students passing the halls. Youth! I miss it. I miss those days! We had our night raids in the kitchen. And homework in this very place, this fireplace. I missed it like it was yesterday, yet it also feels fuzzy and vague at the same time. Must be this nature of being a ghost, it seems. How about you? What do you miss the most in your yesteryears? 

• Like 2

• The Fat Friar changed the title to Fireside Discussion: Those Yesteryears

One thing that I miss, oddly enough, is the walk to and from school. I lived close enough that the bus didn't pick me up, and until I had a license and could drive, most of the time I would walk that mile plus with my friends. I think I developed some good muscles then, because invariably I'd be carrying my binder and books for studying (not that I always did the studying but I had the books? :D ). That was a time of just visiting, taking our time to get to school, talking about this and that, and watching as more and more people converged upon the home of the Broncos. 

10 diamonds to Tarma!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, it's been many, many , many years since my RL school days! I will admit I was not the best of students, but I did manage to pass all my classes... I did graduate! The class I enjoyed most was Art. Let me have a pencil for drawing, a crayon or colored pencils for coloring, clay, or paints, I was in my glory. Even as far back as 3rd grade my teacher wrote on my report card (yes back in those days they WROTE report cards out) "I believe she will always be doing something creative in life". I guess she was right because I still love to color, creating costumes for my kids, doing needlepoint, cross stitch and even quilting.

Now at HOL... I miss my days with my partner in crime, Belle Black. Oh the fun we had coordinating our Assignments. We would write them like a story. Some had us sitting in the library working on "assignments" having a conversation and throwing in some answers to the questions along the way.  The one Professor we LOVED to drive nuts with our assignments was Prof. Dom. He taught some class on dragons. All I remember is writing about sitting in his class, "listening" to his lessons while doing my nails.... and answering the questions along the way.

10 diamonds to Fels!

• Like 1