Hufflepuff Common Room

Our Own Wonders of the World - Week 2 - Discussion

We know the famous "Seven Wonder of the World", both the new 7 Wonders (Mount Everest, Harbour of Rio de Janeiro, Great Barrier Reef, Victoria Falls, Paricutin Volcano, Grand Canyon and the Aurora Borealis) and the original 7 Wonders (The Great Pyramid of Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria).

For a discussion we do  "Where is your  own wonder.. the place you love to go... " Tell us why it is so wonderful for you.

Write at least 100 words and earn 10 Diamonds!  If you write more, in response to what others say, you can earn an additional 10 Diamonds (if your post is at least 100 words long1). 

You have until September 30th to post.

1If you have difficulty coming up with 100 or more words for your post, please just let me know and I can give you some ideas!

My wonder, if you will, is a rather humble little place, but one that I find magical all the same.  For me, Monhegan Island, off the coast of Maine is almost like a portal to another time and place.  To get there from Portland, it is almost an hour's ride by ferry, and you are surrounded by nothing but the mists and fog rolling across the seemingly endless Atlantic.  The best way I can describe it is that it is reminiscent of the crossing into Avalon.  Honestly, that's what it felt like to me.   You feel so...small, and at times the journey is almost frightening.  I know it may sound silly, but my heart was actually hammering as I strained to see beyond the rolling water.  Logically, I knew our journey would end, but just for a moment, it seemed as if it were to go on forever.  And blame my reader's mind, but it also reminded me vaguely of Captain's Courageous by Rudyard Kipling.  Anyway, I digress.  

The island itself does not disappoint.  Maybe my love for it springs from my love of Ireland because the two look remarkably similar with all the cliffs and crags, complete with crashing waves against the rocks.  There are majestic lighthouses and buildings centuries old, all adding to the 'otherworldly' feel of it all.  The pace of life is much slower and much more rural than anything in my ordinary life (speaking as the Muggle behind Emily, of course), and life there seems untouched by modern 'progress' and problems.  So while it may not be nearly as glamorous as some other wonders, I'll take the wild, rugged, beauty of my wonder any day!  

• Like 3

It's really hard to think of my wonder, a place I love to go to. I do not travel much, much less even leave the house. But due to my immense passion and love for animals, I'd have to say the zoo, or an animal conservatory. Specifically, the Columbus Zoo. I went there first when I was 4 years old and I absolutely loved it. I've always loved everything regarding animals and their habits, their actions. I have been fascinated by creatures ever since I can remember, growing up with animals my entire life contributed to that. Another place I consider my wonder, is home. Being able to be with my pets is the most important thing to me. Being in the presence of an animal always lifts my spirits (which is why I enjoy going to work at my dog daycare job!)

• Like 3

My Wonder place I like to go to has to be a beach by the ocean.  The beach my  family and I go to the most is Wells Beach in Maine.  Being able to set up our little spot and watching the kids playing in the water or building sand castles is all I need to relax. This year it seems a bit more relaxing than in the past years. With COVID restrictions in many states there wasn't as many vacationers there. The beaches were not crowded, even the little village seemed quieter. Walking the beach early in the morning (5:00am) and watching the sunrise makes you marvel at the sight. It's amazing the different colors the sky becomes as the sun comes up.  

Emily, I have never heard of that island in Maine, so of course I had to do some reach. WOW! You are right, it is absolutely beautiful. I just put that on my bucket list of places to visit.

• Like 3

Oddly enough, my own wonder of the world goes to the beach too.  In a little town close to Santa Cruz, California, my uncle and aunt had a vacation cottage which he had built. From the front window one could see the ocean. It was a short (1/4 mile) walk to wind down the road and then down the cliff and get to the beach. Truly magnificent, the times of sunny days were just as great as times of storms.  We'd often go to other places by the ocean, to go clamming and/or fishing -- I just love being by the ocean.

A favorite place that I go to now is, again, by salt water -- albeit not the ocean proper. One of the first times I went there the wind was blowing so greatly that one had to lean hugely into the wind in order to not be blown backwards as one walked. I've taken pictures of ocean water and islands far across the strait and the setting sun hiding behind bluffs. It's just ... wonderful.

• Like 3

[OUT OF CHARACTER]

Although I haven't been there in nearly a year, I would say that my preferred 'wonder' is a small island that - while within walking distance of where I live, is technically not in my state because of the way the state boundaries were decided way back in the past.  The easiest way to get there is by a hidden path:  you make like you're about to go into the city and - instead of going straight into the city, or turning left onto the major roads, you take a right onto a hidden, shaded trail with a view of the river.  In a few minutes you'll see a small footbridge which will get you onto the island!  It is small enough to easily walk around on paved and unpaved paths, but if you get to the center of the island you'll find stone sculptures in honor of the former American president after whom the island was named:  a larger-than-life bust paired with various inspirational quotes from him.  And there are always good views of the river, the city, and even the area from whence I came...

• Like 3

I'm going to switch it up and go to the mountains. We used to go to the smokey mountains as a kid to visit distant relatives and in fall especially, it's magical.  The trees are golds and browns and reds as far as you can see and often times there's the mist that hasn't quite faded.  I'm afraid of heights, so I would never go to the edges and look over the edge. I was more content to be among the trees, leaves crunching beneath my feet and feeling I had walked into every fairy tale forest that I read about. It probably helps that I've always trees in general as a kid and still do as a adult. Seriously, I tear up anytime I see someone cutting down or taking out a tree, even if I understand it's for a good reason.

(Also, while we're on the topic of trees, one of the neighbors on another street has carved a squirrel out of a tree stump. And when I say squirrel, I mean it's the size of a german shepard or larger  that they decorate for holidays/random things. Like he had a mask for covid, recently had a flower scarf, etc.)

• Like 3

I wish to address something which Astor wrote -- about 'home' being a wonder. I feel so lucky (?)(is that the word?) to have been posted here where the strait is but 10-15 minutes drive away, I can see mountains and am surrounded by verdant and abundant plant life of all kinds. Here, too, I have my 4-legged friends, who are always a source of quiet and peace (except when they're not :lol: ) and I just feel privileged to live in a beautiful place.

Amy, your post reminded me of another wonder, which I absolutely loved when I was a kid. Another aunt and uncle had a house/cabin/cabins  up in the mountains. It was built sort of around a HUGE granite boulder,' the house and cabins were in a L shape around two sides of the boulder. An absolute joy to me was to be with that boulder -- to climb it, rest upon it, be with it. That might have started my love of climbing up granite mountain sorts of things. One day I climbed to the top of a large-ish ridge and it was a steep and deep drop-off on the other side. Welling up, on an updraft, were hundreds and hundreds of monarch butterflies, swirling, flying, gorgeous in flight as they floated up out of the small valley and up to soar out in front of me and up over my head. *beauty*

• Like 4

My wonder place is Easter Island. It's a beautiful place, filled with traditions, loving people and beautiful scenarios.

(It's a little island so I'm guessing Will will like it since his favorite place is algo an island)

You can literally bike circles around the island, the culture is so diverse and the Moais are magnificent. 

Also in 1995 UNESCO named Easter Island a World Heritage Site, so if you ever get the chance to go, please do so.

Another place for me which is a wonder and not very liked by many is any city at night from a high spot looking down. 

There's something about big cities at night that just makes me happy, all the lights, the colors and the moon. (I algo enjoy the country side

at night staring at the starts)

• Like 3

Now that I think about it, it is hard to find a place of wonder in the city. If I am there in the island where I grew up, I could list many places. However, in the city, it is a challenge, with the many people bustling through life, ourselves included. Maybe the nearest to our home is my university. I am fortunate to study in a university that is wide and has many greens. I love it when the wind blows and the trees sway and leaves fall. It feels refreshing. It is also magical in the night. The orange glows of the lampposts bring that magical feeling. I would love to sit on a bench and just look at the scenery. Even the many people cannot prevent one from reflecting in that place. And it's also a bonus to recall your memories when you were younger. Place of wonder indeed! :) 

• Like 2

I am not a huge fan of travelling but because of certain circumstances I had to travel quite a lot. First, I had to move from Poland to England. Then, I got married to a French Canadian. This led to me frequently going to both Canada and France (his mum lives in Canada and his dad in France). Also, I was in Spain once to visit his great grandma. I really like Canada, especially my partner's home town - London (the one in Canada).  I would like to visit each region because of the beautiful environment and the amount of wild life. I love wolves and  I know there are tones of them in the Yellowstone National Park. I would love to visit this Park and maybe see some wolves!

Another dream place to visit is a place in the USA. It's a small town called Ely and is in Minnesota. It's truly lovely and it has a huge lake, forest, and as you probably already guessed it - WOLVES! To be honest, that's how I got to know this place even exists. I found a book series called 'Werewolves from Mercy Falls'. Great book series, made me very emotional. So I decided to dig deeper into the book series and I found out that Mercy Falls is based off Ely. This made my number one place to visit and see all the scenes described in the books!

• Like 3

I haven't been there in forever, but my personal wonder is definitely the Grand Canyon. I used to go to Arizona every summer with my family to visit some long-time family friends that were like grandparents to me. The Grand Canyon is so different from anything I have where I live, it felt like being transported into a different world being there. It's so gorgeous and it blows my mind that the formations there are completely natural. I can stand on a ledge and overlook the canyon, feeling both on top of the world and incredibly humbled and small at the same time. I also have some really great stories from our travels through there, so it will always have a special place in my heart. 

• Like 2

And.....well, I guess people are used to it by now, but I'm going to be a bit different.

My favorite place is Disneyland. Hear me out.

I grew up going to the local theme parks with my family and a couple of close friends. I have so many amazing memories of great times with people I loved. I also grew up loving fantasy and Disney movies. And I've always loved history.

My current best friend - the one who introduced me to the Harry Potter Universe - Is a huge Disney fan. He knows everything about the park and shared that love with me. When I visit Disneyland, I get to spend time with him (he lives on the west coast, I live on the east coast), be reminded of some of the happiest moments of my childhood, get lost in fantasy, ride some really great rides, think about Walt Disney and where he lived at the park and his ideas, and I get to breath without allergies (that's always a plus!)

• Like 2

Some people may know this about me already, I am what some people would consider to be introverted. So, for me my wonder would be anyplace that is quiet with no one around to be in my space or making too much noise.

One of my favourite places to be is at work, at 5 a.m. before anyone else comes in, so I have time to figure out where I am at with work before I begin the day.

I also like to be at home in my room if people are home making a lot of noise, or anywhere in the house if there is only one or two others at home. It has become a lot louder here recently, since a relative moved in, with a toddler, and a baby (we already have cats and dogs here too). At work and at home, I suppose I could just turn off my hearing aids if the noise is bothering me (at least that is what others tell me I should do), but it doesn't seem to be the right solution to my issues with noise.

There is really only one place I can think of, where being around a lot of people doesn't bother me as much, and that would be at the dojo I go to.

So, I guess you could say I have a few wonders, and it just depends on the situation which one I would prefer to be at.

• Like 3