No replies to this topic

#1 Askeron Kyle

Askeron Kyle

Lollipop

• Staff
  • 264 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Since New Year has just gone, I thought it would be interesting to find out the different traditions around the world

Here in the north of England, we have a tradition of "First foot" this is the belief that the first person to enter the house just after midnight brings good luck to the house for the rest of the year. A dark haired man is supposed to be the luckiest to do this, and he carries with him a coin for prosperity, salt for flavour, bread for food,coal for warmth and a drink for cheer.

There is also the tradition of the "New Year kiss". Some people think that the midnight kiss shows what you will be like all year, some other people think that kissing the one you love at midnight will strengthen your relationship throughout the year.

Here where I live we used to hear the horns of the trawlers on the River Humber at midnight because sound travels at night, but unfortunately because of the sound of the  fireworks going off at midnight they can't be heard.

https://www.stagecoa...year-traditions

I forgot to put my NewYear's Eve Family Traditions, so here goes. New Year for me starts when my 3 Grandchildren come to for a sleep over because their parents go out for New Year, although I think this will be the last year it happens, because I am pretty sure they will go with their parents next New Year, and since Molly and Sam are 16 and Zoe 12, they will be old enough to go with them.

They go to bed about 9pm and are supposed to go to sleep, until I go and wake them up in time to watch the fireworks on the tv at midnight, but last year they didn't sleep at all and were wide awake when I went to take them downstairs. Just before midnight my Husband went out to "let the New Year in" then we started watching the fireworks on tv and welcomed the New Year with a drink. After the fireworks finished we let them stay up and watch the pop group that were on and then they went to bed afterwards. 

Do you have any Family Traditions that you always do on New Year's Eve? 

• Sirius Fudge and Pezzie Wolfe like this

Asky1.png

AskyKyle|as483|Hufflepuff|

PostGrad|Pezzie'sHuffieSis|

Hollers|Hufflepuff Staff.

Siggy by Efie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users