21 replies to this topic

#1 Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Badger Patrol
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

Supporting Cast - Week One - Discussion

This week our focus for 'Supporting Cast' characters is on the Professors.

Of course, the main cast of Professors includes Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and Snape but there are so many other people, without whom the books would not be what they are. 

The Professors are important for the actual school - Hogwarts. Dumbledore, McGonagall and Snape are portrayed throughout all of the books, and yet, there are so many more teachers there at Hogwarts! 

DV36.gif

For our discussion this week - quite simply -- who amongst those Professors discussed in the Harry Potter books, was your favorite supporting character Professor? Why is this person your favorite? 

Tell us about your favorite 'supporting character'!  Write at least 100 words and earn 10 Diamonds!  You are welcome to write more, in response to what others say, and earn an additional 10 Diamonds if your post is at least 100 words long.

You have until October 10th to post.   You earn a bonus of 3 Diamonds, though, if you post one or both within a week of me posting this!

• Sirius Fudge likes this

Fantastic_Beasts_-_Queenie_-_Fels_Siggy_

Come and trim my Christmas tree with  some decorations  bought  at Tiffany's

"You're not quite as scary as you seem." ~ quote by Lilly Anderson 

#2 Astaria Rivers

Astaria Rivers

Chocolate Frog, Wizard Card #61

• Fourth Year
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:52 AM

I've said it before, but one of my favorite supporting professors is Sybill Trelawney. I would still love to do a case study of her. From a psychological perspective, she seems to have some sort of anxiety disorder. She sees the worst of what could happen and can't deviate from that path, something in my field that we call catastrophizing which is classic behavior. She makes predictions of things that may or may not come true, usually they don't, but they are always dark and grim. In the thought process, one would need to look at all possible scenarios. I am thinking of the time where she refuses to sit at the staff table because there would be 13 of them there. Of course, we are also dealing with the world of magic and that has a few different rules than in the muggle world. I start to wonder if Trelawney was this way before her feared prophecy of the Dark Lord and Harry Potter or if that prophecy triggered some sort of change in her once she realized what was going on which can sometimes happen. All of a sudden, something we thought would happen sets into motion and then everything after that seems fearful or dim. She is also a very sensitive soul and drowns out her problems with sherry which she often smelled of, a sign of addictive behavior that is often seen in those with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). I will always find her intriguing.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Sirius Fudge and 1 other like this
Asta

#3 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:57 AM

It's sort of odd, but one of my favorite supporting characters is one who is seldom mentioned in the books and yet, without her, Hufflepuff wouldn't be what it is.

Yes, I write of Helga Hufflepuff. It's such a wonderment to me, actually, the idea that four witches and wizards get together and decide to make the 'world's best wizard school'. Literally - did they build the school? Did they build it with magic?  Looking at the design, I am tempted to say that magic had to have been used in the building of it. (How else would the Chamber of Secrets been made and accessed?) I think of Professor Hufflepuff and that she must have been instrumental in making sure that the school was built solidly, that it would be sure to endure for thousands of years. And yet, it was built with beauty too - and that is also a mark, I believe, of the people who created the school.

And, of course, the common room of Hufflepuff is close to the kitchens. Say no more.  :coffee:

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Sirius Fudge and Astaria Rivers like this

9.17.2018_The_Silvered_250x100_Cal_purpl

Siggy from cover of The Silvered -- Avatar made by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#4 Sirius Fudge

Sirius Fudge

• Post Graduate
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationBlack Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

I will write about Remus Lupin. It was only one year that Remus became a teacher. He taught the Defense Against the Dark Arts subject when the trio were in their third year. His method of teaching is excellent. One would expect the different approach he had as going to be good when he started the class saying that they will not be going to use the books. The subject matter in itself is a skill-based one, focused on the practice of the wand and real spells in the real world. Remus' teaching style is an exciting one and this brought new perspectives that the students really enjoyed and made them realize the real life implications of using these spells. The final examination is also one that is really fun while still aiming to achieve the class objectives. It was just really cool as I was reading it. I still think he was the best DADA professor Harry had.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black and Astaria Rivers like this
Posted Image

si926 | Hufflepuff | Post Graduate | HOL Class of 2018

#5 Astaria Rivers

Astaria Rivers

• Fourth Year
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:11 AM

I think Helga Hufflepuff is so great. As one of the founders of the school, it is said that she would "take the lot." She had no requirements for her house though we know Hufflepuffs are fiercely loyal. I wonder if this is because in Hufflepuff, no one is trying to be more knowledgeable, braver or more ambitious than anyone else. As badgers, we support each other in everything we do and also play fair which is another trait I can imagine Helga having due to the fact that she accepted everyone without prejudice.

Prof. Lupin was also amazing in the books. I agree that his teaching worked best in training the students in what they would need to know. If I had a final exam like the one that he gave, I would be very happy. While it was a difficult practical exam, it also put the students in real situations where they had to think on their feet in order to solve the problem. He allowed the students to have real experiences while maintaining a safe and welcoming environment to everyone in his classes. He played no favorites, at least not in front of everyone, and even then, I think his main focuses was preparing the students for what he knew would inevitably be coming in the future.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black and Sirius Fudge like this
Asta

#6 Ivy Black

Ivy Black

Canary Cream (You know yellow is definitely your color)

• First Year
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

I have to say that Charity Burbage is probably one of my favorites. She is mentioned very little in the books. She was the muggle studies teacher and she stood up for what she believed in. She believed that Muggles were just as good as witches and wizards and they should be treated equally. I agree with this to a certain extent. I think that muggles should not be used as slaves for witches and wizards. In some ways, muggles are better because, since they don't have magic, they have to create an alternative non-magical way to deal with day-to-day problems. This just shows their creativeness and resourcefulness. We know that Charity Burbage or Professor Burbage was later captured by the death eaters and killed by Lord Voldemort at a death eater meeting. She died fighting for what she believed in.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Sirius Fudge and 1 other like this

If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black

#7 Maxim Trevelyan

Maxim Trevelyan

Tea Cake

• HOL
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:11 PM

I do not really have a favorite Hogwarts professor, but I always liked Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank, Hagrid’s replacement for Care of Magical Creatures, when he was otherwise engaged.

To be frank, Hagrid is not a great teacher, not even with Hermione Granger’s help and he only got the job because Dumbledore liked him. We know that he barely prepared students for OWLs or other tests, something that Granger also said.

However, we can see the quality of classes improve when Grubbly-Plank substitutes for Hagrid (something said by all types of students) and that she really cares for the creatures when Harry trusts her with an injured Hedwig in his 5th year. Another point for her is that despite Hagrid being a bit more enthusiastic with certain creatures and his bad teaching methods, she still respects him and never criticizes him.

So, that is why she is one of my better liked Hogwarts teachers and I only wish she would show up more during the books.

Posted Image
Thank you Dario!

#8 Arianna Stonewater

Arianna Stonewater

Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, pepper

• HOL
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:51 AM

I love Professor Minerva Mcgonagall! She is clearly an intelligent woman, with a bazillion different talents! She played quidditch, she teaches one of the most difficult and precise subjects, she did the work to become an animagus for goodness sakes!

All of her awesomeness and she still finds glee in something like bringing the castle statues to life. She is also someone who deeply cares. Finding out about her backstory made me love her even more!

She has had to make many difficult decisions and sacrifices in her life, especially when it comes to her love life. I was so happy to hear she did briefly have bliss! I have so much respect for her.

NmrsfwL.png

#9 Elena Galatas

Elena Galatas

SPAM Sandwich

• HOL
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMust...find...Colin O'Liferuiner...

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:47 AM

My favorite supporting professors are nearly a tie. Professor Flitwick and Firenze. I find it particularly funny that they changed the look of Flitwick so drastically between the second and third movies that people actually thought there was a different actor portraying the character. Even I thought so at first. I love Flitwick's character in general - from his teaching habits to his attitude towards students - but ultimately, my favorite supporting professor will probably always be Firenze. He reminds me of one of my favorite mythological creatures - the centaur, Chiron. He also gave up his life with his less civilized brethren in order to tutor heroes.

I absolutely love Firenze, from his attitude towards teaching to his personality in general. He's such a nice change from some of the other Professors (not that I don't also love them), and I have been drawn to his character from the first moment he appeared in the novels and films. Yes, all the way back in the first film. It's been made pretty clear that the colony living within The Forbidden Forest doesn't like humans, but Firenze is different. He has a pro-human stance, and even risked his life to work at Hogwarts, teaching the students Divination; his position at Hogwarts even cost him his place with the colony, as they banished him from being one of them.

Most importantly, I love the way that he teaches. While I love Trelawney's character, that is almost entirely because she is portrayed by one of my favorite actresses (Emma Thompson). In regards to her actual character, I really don't like the way that she teaches; as a character I like her (I most definitely felt sympathy for her when Umbridge was on the warpath), but as a teacher she would drive me up a wall. It is highly likely I would always be bored in her class, as sad as that might seem. I prefer the type of Divination that Firenze practices, especially since it focuses on studying the planets and other celestial bodies, which is something I love to do.

X9fIW0n.gif

Elena Galatas || Seventh Year || Ravenclaw || Captain Swan fanatic

#10 Sirius Fudge

Sirius Fudge

• Post Graduate
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationBlack Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

I totally forgot Firenze in his role as a Divination teacher in Hogwarts. It was in the back of my mind, covered by him being a centaur and a friend to Harry more than him being a teacher. I totally agree with Elena's post on Firenze as a good teacher in divination using the celestial objects, in ways that only him could deliver to the students. I also am always interested to the subject of Astronomy and thought that having a subject matter like that is a cool one. I think I would listen to anything that is said when it comes to astronomy, even though the subject taught is divination. And I think Firenze is a good teacher of the subject.

Though aside from astronomy used in Divination classes, I think I will be more interested in the Astronomy class offered in Hogwarts, the one taught by Prof. Aurora Sinistra. She is cool to really teach the subject matter under the stars at night at the top of the Astronomy Tower. That would be a real hands on method of teaching in Astronomy. She also gets to really involve the students by giving them homework like drawing a star chart and studying the moons of Jupiter like Io and Ganymede. I would like to enrol in a class managed like that.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Elena Galatas and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#11 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

My second teacher to mention as a favorite is Remus Lupin.  He is as Sirius writes, and more. I have much admiration for him in his teaching abilities. I think he had a gift for recognizing strengths in others and chose to do what he could to bring them out.  While he helped Neville Longbottom to realize that he wasn't as the others seemed to think he was, and find out that he was, internally, someone strong, brave and 'noble', there are other examples of Lupin's quiet, and determined assistance for those who needed it.

In his one year of being a DADA teacher, he introduced the students to things which they might actually have to face, or confront, in their lifetimes.  (I sort of wish that Molly had had Lupin's very practical boggart class. Maybe she'd have zapped that boggart immediately if she had, on first exposure to one, been taught 'how' to vanquish them!)

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#12 Astaria Rivers

Astaria Rivers

• Fourth Year
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:40 AM

Ivy, mentioning Charity Burbage is great! I agree with you in what you said that she stood up for what she believed in. Sometimes standing up for what we believe in can be a death sentence whether it's literally, as it was in her case, or figuratively such as in a person's reputation. It is also a cool thought in what you said about muggles having to figure out ways to do things without magic. They are forced to be more resourceful in what they do and creative in the way they get things done, whereas we witches and wizards cast a spell and it's done for us. I sometimes believe we don't know the value of a day of hard work.

Maxim, Prof. Grubbly-Plank is a character I would also like to learn more about. She's mentioned so briefly, but the points you brought up about how she never mistreated Hagrid, even if his classes were lacking in the way of students really being taught. I think she sees his enthusiasm and joy for magical creatures, and since she also has a passion for them, maybe that is why she can understand him somewhat. Some people are not meant to teach no matter how passionate they are about a certain subject.

Arianna, about Prof. McGongall, the part that gets me the most is also when she brings the statues to life. I can't remember if this is in the books, but I know in the movie she states that she's always wanted to use that spell. I loved McGonagall to begin with, but that statement made me love her even more.

Elena and Sirius, while I do love Prof. Trelawney, I think I would enjoy Firenze's way of teaching much more. Planetary divination or whatever he wants to call it would be my calling as that is what I am into. Celestials bodies are mindblowing to study and watch. Astronomy fascinates me as does astrology and how the planets move and affect our lives. If I had to choose one of them to take a class with, it would be the beautiful Centaur. Also like you said, he risked a lot accepting the job at Hogwarts and helping Harry out in his earlier years.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Sirius Fudge and 2 others like this
Asta

#13 Elena Galatas

Elena Galatas

SPAM Sandwich

• HOL
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMust...find...Colin O'Liferuiner...

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:53 AM

Completely off topic, because I agree with everyone's comments, but it's distracting me lol.

FELS.

Are y'all changing the Professor picture every so often? I feel like that's the third picture I've seen lmao.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black and Sirius Fudge like this

X9fIW0n.gif

Elena Galatas || Seventh Year || Ravenclaw || Captain Swan fanatic

#14 Zen McGregor

Zen McGregor

8oz Glass of Pumpkin Juice

• HOL
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

Lots of professors at Hogwarts are worth mentioning, but I am surprised that not many of you are mentioning Prof. Flitwick. The way he treats students, his willingness to teach them and transfer his own knowledge is remarkable. He is an expert in his field and I could not imagine a better person to teach me something as fundamental as Charms. Not to mention the display of his courage alongside the others during the Wizarding War in the Battle of Hogwarts against Lord Voldemort. Always ready to go above and beyond his responsibilities, Prof. Flitwick is definitely an asset to Hogwarts that should be long cherished.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Sirius Fudge and 2 others like this

J3iaMfz.png

#15 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

Completely off topic, because I agree with everyone's comments, but it's distracting me lol.

FELS.

Are y'all changing the Professor picture every so often? I feel like that's the third picture I've seen lmao.

Hi Elena!

At first there was no picture, then there was a picture of Sirius Black and now there is a picture of Remus Lupin. While writing the discussion for Week 2, I wanted to use a certain picture and then thought, oh put something in Week 1 discussion!

So I asked Fels if I could put in the picture and she said yes. But ... I (I do not know why I zoomed in on that picture but I did ... yes, I do know why I zoomed in on it ...) and yesterday I caught my error and fixed it.

• Sirius Fudge and Elena Galatas like this

#16 Vanessa Tilley

Vanessa Tilley

Canary Cream (someone looks like Tweety)

• HOL
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

My favorite supporting teacher is Professor Flitwick!  One, he is the head of Ravenclaw so extra points there! ;)  I also love Professor Flitwick because he is so short!  I am short myself and I like to think that big things do come in small packages.  Professor Flitwick is also very caring of not just his own students but all the students at Hogwarts.  He is always there when trouble appears ready to help in any way he can.  He teaches charms!  Who doesn't love charms :P  Finally, though there are still MANY reasons I love Professor Flitwick, he is a master duelist!

#17 Sirius Fudge

Sirius Fudge

• Post Graduate
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationBlack Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:33 AM

Since this week's topic is supporting cast professors, I would not want to miss this opportunity and not discuss Profs. Bathsheda Babbling of Ancient Runes and Septima Vector of Arithmancy. I think that if I am at Hogwarts, I would want to take the Arithmancy and Ancient Runes classes. The use of numerology and runes in translations, interpretations, and maybe a bit of divination are cool things that I'd love to witness. It is a pity that we only get a tiny bit of these two subjects in the storyline. I bet the two professors mentioned above are just as cool and maybe stricter as the other professors as well. 

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black and Astaria Rivers like this
Posted Image

#18 Will Lestrange

Will Lestrange

Chocolate Frog, Wizard Card #2

• HOL
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:14 AM

I was thinking about naming an "evil" professor like one of the Carrows as a favorite simply because of their intriguing approaches to teaching... but I don't think I can count either of them as a favorite in any meaningful way!  Looking at minor characters who teach but aren't so minor that we don't really know anything about how they teach?  I'm going to go with Firenze, one of the Divination teachers at Hogwarts.  Compared to the other Divination teacher at Hogwarts, Sybill Trelawney, it becomes transparent that Firenze is the only Divination teacher who is actually willing to teach the limits of his art (i.e. that even the most skilled Seer can't predict the future with 100 percent accuracy).  His approach, along with the fact that he's willing to defy his entire species, make him a favorite of mine!

#19 Maxim Trevelyan

Maxim Trevelyan

Tea Cake

• HOL
  • 698 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

I agree with those posters that said Firenze is a great teacher. He is certainly untraditional and I love that about him. I always loved looking at a topic of discussion or teaching from multiple points of view and Trelawney is only one, and not even a reliable one. Firenze, as a non-human provides another, virtually unknown look at Divination. He does not lie about his abilities, or gives crazy predictions.

It is no wonder that students were looking forward to Firenze’s teaching classes in the next year, I can see the appeal. I would certainly be one of those that hoped to get into his class, or at least a few lessons to look at Divination from another point of view.

Posted Image
Thank you Dario!

#20 Eno Thomas

Eno Thomas

Canary Cream (You know yellow is definitely your color)

• HOL
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:34 PM

Professors at Hogwarts are portrayed mostly with positiveness rather than the negative side. Based on experience I think we're all capable of thinking that this might not have been true if Hogwarts was in reality since students (not all of them) tend to have a sense of protectiveness against the teachers and I think that not every Professor at Hogwarts was loved and praised by all the students. 

I did all that parenthesis because I want to look at this week's discussion in another point of view and thanks to today's trivia question I'm gonna write about Professor Cuberth Binns. He was the only one that was different from all the Professors when it comes to the physical aspect. He was a ghost. A ghost who's lived for 1 or 2 centuries since his birth date is still unknown. He died in his sleep and left his body behind to go teach. What I'm trying to say is that from every point of view that you can see him, you can't hate him or think badly for him because he's literally given all his life (and afterlife) to teach generations after generations. That's pure passion in my eyes and it's something beyond normal or good professors. 

History is one of the most important things for the world to know it's roots and grow based on those roots. I think Binns knew this very well and decided to sacrifice his life to make sure it happens in the correct way. Because what's a better way then history being told by someone who's lived most of it. 

(I think the deadline for the trivia has passed? I'm not breaking any rules, right? xD)

edit: There are 23 hours in which to reply to the trivia. Fels posted the question (my time) 4:20pm yesterday and you posted 3:34pm today. You're safe by 14 minutes. :) - Tarma

edit 2: Yay! Thanks Tarma! 

Edited by Eno Thomas, 15 September 2018 - 11:18 PM.
answering Eno's question - Tarma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users