11 replies to this topic

#1 Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Badger Patrol
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:52 PM

May Flowers Discussion - Week 3 - Wild Flowers

What kind of wild flowers grow where you live? Do you have dandelions growing on your lawn (or ragweed causing sneezing)? Perhaps you have clover growing in the untended sections of your neighborhood, or those little flowers which seem to hide underneath the taller plants.

Write (and post below) at least 100 words about the flowers where you live and earn 10 Diamonds!  You are welcome to write more, in response to what others say, and earn an additional 10 Diamonds if your post is at least 100 words long.

If you choose to take pictures and put them with your post, please make sure they are 600x600 or less in size.

You have until May 31st to post.   You earn a bonus of 3 Diamonds, though, if you post one or both within a week of me posting this!

Fantastic_Beasts_-_Queenie_-_Fels_Siggy_

Come and trim my Christmas tree with  some decorations  bought  at Tiffany's

"You're not quite as scary as you seem." ~ quote by Lilly Anderson 

#2 Maxim Trevelyan

Maxim Trevelyan

Pound Cake

• HOL
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

We have a lot of wildflowers where I live, although I only know the names of a few of them, so I had to do a lot of research. Most common, or those that I recognize immediately are dandelions. I love them in both shapes, as yellow flowers and then those cotton-like bolls that you can blow away and wish something. Dandelions are also very useful to have in a salad, so when I have the time, I always go and pick them.

Grass fields around my area are also filled with daisies and oxeye daisies, especially in the spring and they are such a beautiful sight to see. They also make for a perfect wildflower bouquet.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick likes this
Posted Image
Thank you Dario!

#3 Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Badger Patrol
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

As I walk down our road when I walk my "grand dog" ... hehehe.... I see that the Queen Anne's Lace is starting to grow. According to anything I find online it is said to be a wild carrot because the roots are edible. Not that I would give that a try.... plus it is known to be toxic. But I do pick some and dry it on my cane chair because the little holes in the chair are perfect to slip the stem through and let the head of the flower rest on the seat. Even fresh they look pretty in an arrangement of flowers.

Each flower reminds me of the circular doilies my grandmothers decorated their living rooms with. I guess they make be reminisce about my grandparents.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black likes this

Fantastic_Beasts_-_Queenie_-_Fels_Siggy_

Come and trim my Christmas tree with  some decorations  bought  at Tiffany's

"You're not quite as scary as you seem." ~ quote by Lilly Anderson 

#4 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:32 AM

So many plants are blooming now. I was going to make a list as I was walking down the driveway and totally forgot to do so. So I'm replaying my walk in my head, looking around. Honeysuckle is blooming, as is a rhododendron, as are a small little white petaled flower which I have no idea what it is. A red blooming shrub, maybe it is red-currant?, has covered its branches and looks glorious with the morning sun shining on the petals. Some purple-flowered shrubs are blooming; they have a lovely scent. The rosemary is blooming in Ridge Garden (but that is not of the native flora) ... what else ... OH, the Mexican Orange is blooming (but that again is a plant on my porch garden and not someone blooming in the yard and in the pastures and lanes and fields). Of course there are dandelions; they have actually gotten far enough into the season to produce the poof-heads. :) ... ! Yes, what appear to be wild strawberries are blooming now along the lane. The wild roses have teeny tiny little buds which will produce flowers later on.

A wealth of flowers!

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick likes this

Cal_Siggy_Fantastic_Beasts_and_Frank_250

-- Avatar made by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#5 Will Lestrange

Will Lestrange

Chocolate Frog, Wizard Card #2

• HOL
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:19 AM

Living in a fairly urban area, it often doesn't seem that there is room for a lot of flowers nearby.  If I really want to see tons of flowers, probably the best place to go would be the National Arboretum which, of course, features tons of plants (including flowering ones) from the entire country.  My own state is represented by the flowering dogwood (complete with a plaque to prove it), and there's also a "flowering tree walk" where one can see all sorts of flowering trees!  The most overhyped flowering tree in the region, of course, is the cherry blossom:  it blooms for a relatively short time in the early spring, during which tourists from all over crowd the region for a glimpse.  But magnolias, with similar but more diverse flowers, are more readily available if you take the effort to look for them; for example, I regularly pass through them on my commute!

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick and Prof. Tarma Amelia Black like this

#6 Maxim Trevelyan

Maxim Trevelyan

Pound Cake

• HOL
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Tarma's post reminded me that wild strawberries season is starting! Unfortunately, where I live, the nearest wild strawberries are along the semi-busy roads and I dislike picking them because of all the exhaust and nastiness that can come from it. But I know some secret patches were they grow, so I picked them today and had them with some whipped cream. Delicious!

There is also a lot of some strange look, purple plant that I see literally everywhere in the fields, and then I came across the name purely by chance – western marsh orchid. It is interesting, because when I think of orchids, my head is filled with images of a typical orchid. But they are nice to see regardless.

Posted Image
Thank you Dario!

#7 Shadow Gaunt

Shadow Gaunt

Chocolate Frog, Wizard Card #2

• HOL
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

Around my area, clover grows everywhere. If you do not take care of the grass, it will soon be overtaken with clover. Because of that, clovers are very common throughout my town and people are annoyed, but don't really hate it.

About wild strawberries. My house is near a field, and if you cross that field there is a small, dead end road. One of the houses on that street grows a LOT of wild strawberies. In the front of their house they have two (about) bushes of wild strawberries. People take the strawberries all the time, and even so, there’s usually a lot left.

Finally, there are these trees with pale pink-white petals/buds. They’re BEAUTIFUL , especially when the petals fall. While this might seem like an apple tree, it is in fact not.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black likes this

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

"You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you've got enough nerve."-Ginevra Wesley
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

#8 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

I love clover, Shadow! When I read your post I immediately thought of Hunger Games, being as they are both attractive, hardy and edible.

I just saw the first buttercup flower! All by itself, standing about a foot and a half high .... all glowing. The Blanc Double de Coubert (a rugosa rose introduced in 1892) started blooming last week. Yesterday I saw the Therese Bugnet rose (another rugosa) has the beginning of opening flowers. And my Fimbriata (a Rugosa hybrid from 1891), which was the rose who got me started on trying again to have a garden, has a bud!

When I moved to Washington state (this is the western side, with all the rain), I found I could not grow almost everything that I had grown in California. If the rarity of sunshine didn't stop the plants from growing and thriving, there were things like wet soil which rot roots. Then there are the slugs (and other bugs) which eat the plants and the plant blooms. I'd never lived anywhere that I couldn't grow squash to harvest! So I was despondent and ... :\   . Then I saw a picture of a rose in a Rugosa book. A 'Fimbriata'. I thought - what an absolutely gorgeous rose. I wanted to find one, and grow it.  :D  It took me two years to find one sold on its own roots.  She's fairly hardy, being part Rugosa, and is just a lovely shrub with remontant blooms and a lovely, if delicate, fragrance.

fimbriata_bm_2015_14_1000px.jpg

Fimbriata bloom

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#9 Shiloh Adlar

Shiloh Adlar

8oz Glass of Cherry Syrup with soda and an umbrella

• HOL
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Since I live in the city, we don't have a lot of flowers around, however, my apartment community has planted a lot of different ones and of course there are the occasional weeds that grow in the grass. I'm not sure the name of all of the flowers, but I have seen some azaleas which are extremely popular. They also have these red vine like flowers growing off of some bushes. One of the hedges has purple miniature flowers, sort of similar to bells that twinkle down. In the past, there have been white flowers growing in one of the open areas by the pool with some pink ones as well. They were azaleas but closer to rhododendrons perhaps. But most of the flowers are very tiny and are easily missed if one isn't looking for them.

by_tarma_nov_2017.png

The Queen never gives away her shinies!

Thanks Tarma for my awesome Niffler signature!

#10 Siobhan Sullivan

Siobhan Sullivan

BBEFB, secret bean Fresh Grass

• HOL
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

There are all sorts of wildflowers that grow where I'm from. I don't get to see all of them, of course, but some I do! Some of my favorites are the Black Eyed Susans (I don't know why I like this flower so much... maybe because of its simplicity), the Dogwood trees bloom with these lovely smallish white blossoms and just looks so pretty! And, of course, who can forget the humble dandelion. Those always grow in abundance. Also another of my favorite wildflowers are the Morning Glory. I love the deep blue ones that sort of fade to white at the base, so lovely!

#11 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

We're all done with the bonus Diamonds for Week 3  - but you can still participate in the discussion until the end of the month and earn some lovely Diamonds.

#12 Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores

Bat shaped Chocolate Cookie

• HOL Professor
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

By looking out of my window, unfortunately I can't see many flowers :(. My room has direct view to our little garden, which is basically green, with the grass and six tiny trees It lacks color. We also have some white daisies and some red and orange flowers that unfortunately I can't name. There's also an orchid. I, know, it is not the most exciting flowering view, but do you know what made it magical today??? Just some minutes ago, before posting this, I was lookin at the garden and saw a HUMMINGBIRD!!! Right there, sipping and flying around our flowers! Such a pretty view!! Guess my small garden has something special! :)

wonderland-siggy3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users