16 replies to this topic

#1 Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Badger Patrol
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

May Flowers Discussion - Week 2 - Your Garden

If you had/have a garden what type of flowers would/do you have in it? Would it be filled with perennial or annual flowers? Would you have a multiple colour scheme or just fill it with what you like and it will turn out just fine anyway? Tell us about your garden!

Write (and post below) at least 100 words about your garden and its flowers and earn 10 Diamonds!  You are welcome to write more, in response to what others say, and earn an additional 10 Diamonds if your post is at least 100 words long.

You have until May 31st to post.   You earn a bonus of 3 Diamonds, though, if you post one or both within a week of me posting this!

Fantastic_Beasts_-_Queenie_-_Fels_Siggy_

Come and trim my Christmas tree with  some decorations  bought  at Tiffany's

"You're not quite as scary as you seem." ~ quote by Lilly Anderson 

#2 Maxim Trevelyan

Maxim Trevelyan

Pound Cake

• HOL
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

If I had a garden like that I would first and foremost filled it with plants and flowers that I can use every day in teas, cooking or as remedies. I think that would give me the motivation to really keep the garden going and I would have “an excuse” besides the prettiness and nice smells to have the flowers and plants around.

I would also love to have sunflowers, though I do not think they can fit into the garden, but maybe a field of them would be great. They would be hard to upkeep though. However, it might just be worth it, because their seeds are just yummy!

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick likes this
Posted Image
Thank you Dario!

#3 Arianna Stonewater

Arianna Stonewater

Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, pepper

• HOL
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

I sadly don't have a garden, i don't even have a backyard. Like Maxim, i would first fill my garden with useful plants. Definitely herbs and spices, like basil and rosemary (but not mint, my husband doesn't like the smell). I would also have a section for cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, and strawberries! Maybe even a few pumpkins for the fall!

Then I would have another section of my friends and family's favorite flowers (roses, tulips, carnations) so that I could have fresh flowers to give them on special occasions. I may not like cut flowers but I know they love them!

Everything would be slightly organised so I know what's what, but I'm not afraid of cross-pollination so I wouldn't try too hard to keep things separate. Who knows, maybe I'll create new flowers!
  • Prof. Felicia Hartwick and Prof. Tarma Amelia Black like this

NmrsfwL.png

#4 Siobhan Sullivan

Siobhan Sullivan

BBEFB, secret bean Fresh Grass

• HOL
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

I don't have a garden at the moment... just a potted succulent. I have a bit of a black thumb and so have trouble keeping anything at all alive. Since succulents thrive on neglect, however, they seem tailor made for me! Anyway, my dream garden would probably be full of a mix of annuals and perennials. But the bulk would have to be perennials since I have more luck with those surviving. I adore flowers of pretty much any kind. They fascinate me, really, so it makes me a little sad sometimes that I can't seem to grow anything. Anyway, back to my dream garden. It would have flowers of all types in it, but there would be a pattern, I think. I wouldn't like all the flowers to be strewn about willy-nilly. There would also be plenty of herbs useful in both cooking and in healing. There would be a lovely stone walking path that would wind its way through my garden, and would open up to maybe a few small sitting areas with tables so that you could have a picnic, or enjoy a nice cool beverage while you sit among the flowers. Other areas might have small fountains that you could  sit in the edge of. Throwing coins in them is encouraged! At night, you would be able to see lanterns strung about the trees and along the paths to find your way. It would hold sort of a magical feeling at night. Sort of like a fairy garden. My garden wouldn't just be for the eyes or the nose, no. It would be a total sensory experience.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black likes this

#5 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

I've my room gardens (indoor and out on the tiny porch) and my Ridge Garden (so named because it's on the ridge which has the most available sunlight). I grew up on a farm with many large gardens and my grandmother had a 'green thumb'. I'm lucky to have inherited that somewhat!  My current garden areas are not large at all, but that's okay. :)

All the plants of my garden are in pots, from small pots to the largest I can find and/or heft. While this area (Pacific Northwest) is filled with lots and lots of native plants - trees and shrubs and bushes and everything -- where I currently live is not the best for many plants; it rains a lot and the ground is very soggy for many months of the year. If the plants were in the ground it is likely their roots would rot, especially those who require a more 'dry' setting, like the herbs and roses.

They are of all kinds - flowering and herbs and medicinal and ones that smell good and ones that have pretty leaves and ones that yelled at me to take them with me when I was at the store. (The Mexican Orange Blossom did that, summoned me as I was driving by ...) I particularly love roses and mostly have ones which are very hardy -- the 'old' roses, ones which have been around since the 1800s or earlier. They can handle being in pots, too, which is a great thing.

Cal_Siggy_Fantastic_Beasts_and_Frank_250

-- Avatar made by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#6 Siobhan Sullivan

Siobhan Sullivan

• HOL
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

Your garden sounds quite lovely, Professor. :)   It makes me wish I had less of a black thumb. I love plants of most kinds and often get a little jealous when I see someone's blooming garden because I know that I'd not be able to grow as they do. But I do enjoy walking through gardens and seeing what other people have come up with and what sorts of plants they like to grow as well. I seem to have better luck with growing food which I suppose isn’t a bad thing. Anyway, the thought of your roses is very nice as well. Interesting to think that they’ve been around for so long and people still put them in their gardens to enjoy! I’d love to see a pic of your “old” roses!

#7 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Siobhan, you have a garden. :)  You have a potted succulent! That's a garden. 

There were times, when I was moving around a lot, that I didn't have a garden of any kind. What few plants I had didn't survive the moves ... sadness. But, as Professor Malcolm  said in Jurassic Park, "Life, uh, finds a way." 

I've learned to stick to plants which are more hardy (well, mostly I do that) and learned that I need to listen to them and what they want, which is not necessarily what the 'experts' write for what they need. That said, within different species of plants are those which are hardier than others. While I'd love to have a room full of orchids, like Nero Wolfe, I've learned that the Phalaenopsis is about the easiest to grow. Talk about thriving on neglect! click for information. I've already posted a picture of an orchid in May Flower Photos. This tiny little plant blooms regularly and when the blooms die back, the leaves are magnificently green and yet still translucent.  (I also just posted a picture of Celsiana, a rose dating from circa 1750, for you. :) )

• Siobhan Sullivan likes this

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#8 Maxim Trevelyan

Maxim Trevelyan

Pound Cake

• HOL
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

We do have a spot for the garden, but we do not grow anything yet. There is a spot to the left of the house, then there are smaller patches around the house and pavement that are bare. For the bigger garden, we plan to plant vegetables, like lettuce, garlic, carrots, maybe even a spot for potatoes, though for the latter, a completely separate field would be nice.

I do plan to plant flowers for the smaller continuous patches around the pavement. I heard it used to hold daffodils and roses, so I am thinking on bringing that back with maybe tulips as well. It will take good research and time though, but I am hopeful! Bit worried about my green-black thumb though, like Siobhan.

Posted Image
Thank you Dario!

#9 Shiloh Adlar

Shiloh Adlar

8oz Glass of Cherry Syrup with soda and an umbrella

• HOL
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

I have never had a flower garden of my own, but I grew up with an herb garden where my family and I grew our own herbs. That was always enjoyable. We did have some potted plants around the house, and Mom still has a few. I think if I were to ever have my own flower garden, I would definitely grow orchids. All kinds of orchids of all different colors including the Lady of the Night orchid which is one of my favorites. I would also include bleeding hearts of course. I saw a garden of lilies the other day of all different colors, and they looked beautiful together. So I would probably add those somewhere as well. Also rhododendrons, the pink ones!

by_tarma_nov_2017.png

The Queen never gives away her shinies!

Thanks Tarma for my awesome Niffler signature!

#10 Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Badger Patrol
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

Many years ago my kids and husband planted a garden for me for a Mother's Day gift. Bill dug up the little grass area they had picked (on the side of the driveway) and the kids dug up the dirt and raked it smooth. Then they went to the local garden shop and picked out plants.

They planted.. pansies, tiger lilies, petunias, lavender, narcissa (daffodils), lupins, violets, poppies and myrtle ... do you see a connection? They planted a Harry Potter garden for me. Each spring they would add more flowers that needed replanted and even got a gnome for the garden. Though we did not have have contests to see who could throw gnomes the farthest.

I do have to say, Bill did most of the weeding of it during the summer (he is a farmer at heart) and once I see a snake slithering in  it  I give it up to the wild for the year. I'm a city girl at heart and don't do well with the outdoors.

Fantastic_Beasts_-_Queenie_-_Fels_Siggy_

Come and trim my Christmas tree with  some decorations  bought  at Tiffany's

"You're not quite as scary as you seem." ~ quote by Lilly Anderson 

#11 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

They planted.. pansies, tiger lilies, petunias, lavender, narcissa (daffodils), lupins, violets, poppies and myrtle ... do you see a connection? They planted a Harry Potter garden for me. Each spring they would add more flowers that needed replanted and even got a gnome for the garden. Though we did not have have contests to see who could throw gnomes the farthest.

Wow.  :wub:   How absolutely beautiful and loving a thing to do. 

I bet you would have done GREAT with the gnome toss, if they were shaped like snakes ....

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick likes this

#12 Shiloh Adlar

Shiloh Adlar

8oz Glass of Cherry Syrup with soda and an umbrella

• HOL
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

When I went to a botanical garden the other day, I fell in love with the English Woodland garden. There were many trails and bridges over streams that ran through it. It had a lot of green and a lot of flowers waiting to bloom and some that had started to bloom. I can't remember the names of all of them, but my bleeding hearts were in there. I got a few pictures of them. I think if I had a garden, I would want it to be like that. It wouldn't necessarily need all of the blooms, but the greenery is fine. Maybe some dance sculptures in it and a stone picnic table next to some red, pink and white roses. Benches across bridges forming over streams to rest at in the shade on a hot, sunny day. It would also have a stone path to walk through to go deeper into the garden off the main brick path. It would be so romantic and lovely.

by_tarma_nov_2017.png

The Queen never gives away her shinies!

Thanks Tarma for my awesome Niffler signature!

#13 Siobhan Sullivan

Siobhan Sullivan

• HOL
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Siobhan, you have a garden. :)  You have a potted succulent! That's a garden. 

There were times, when I was moving around a lot, that I didn't have a garden of any kind. What few plants I had didn't survive the moves ... sadness. But, as Professor Malcolm  said in Jurassic Park, "Life, uh, finds a way." 

I've learned to stick to plants which are more hardy (well, mostly I do that) and learned that I need to listen to them and what they want, which is not necessarily what the 'experts' write for what they need. That said, within different species of plants are those which are hardier than others. While I'd love to have a room full of orchids, like Nero Wolfe, I've learned that the Phalaenopsis is about the easiest to grow. Talk about thriving on neglect! click for information. I've already posted a picture of an orchid in May Flower Photos. This tiny little plant blooms regularly and when the blooms die back, the leaves are magnificently green and yet still translucent.  (I also just posted a picture of Celsiana, a rose dating from circa 1750, for you. :) )

Thank you so much for the info! You've inspired me to try my hand at growing a Phalaenopsis Orchid!

#14 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

We've reached the end of posting for bonus Diamonds -- but you can still participate in the discussion until the end of the month and earn some lovely Diamonds.

#15 Shadow Gaunt

Shadow Gaunt

Chocolate Frog, Wizard Card #2

• HOL
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

If I would have a garden I would, as everyone said before definitely fill it with useful herbs, spices. One of my favorite "useful" plants is green onion and I would definitely have it growing all around.

People above said their garden would be very organized and while I know mine would start out organized, I would slowly move into chaos. I like something called “organized chaos” with some things such as gardening, drawing, cooking, and even doing my to-do list. For school however, I have a good system of “non-organized chaos”

But back to the garden. When I was living in EST we had a botannical garden nearby and I absolutely loved it. It was open practically year round (9 months I think about, maybe less) and it was so peaceful. There were many paths that the general populace didn’t know about, and walking down them was calming.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

"You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you've got enough nerve."-Ginevra Wesley
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

#16 Kendra Givens

Kendra Givens

Chocolate Frog, Wizard Card #2

• HOL
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

I don't trust myself with the ability to sustain a garden at the moment, but with a little more discipline in remembering to water things, I'd love to officially have one when our backyard at the new house is figured out. What I do have is a plant box that sits on the rail of the deck with herbs in it, given to me by my boyfriend's mom as a housewarming gift. We have basil, chives, rosemary, and oregano, but I'd love to add some dill (I have a slight dill addiction) and mint of some kind. I'd also like to have a bee and butterfly garden like my mom made at my parent's house so that the bees and butterflies have somewhere to go for nectar and survival. There are specific flowers and plants for that sort of thing, and they're very colorful and pretty. I'd also like to have the vegetable essentials one day - tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and beets, because beets straight from the garden are amazing. 

Sidenote, I was given an azalea plant from a student and freaked out when it shriveled up when I forgot to water it. My mom reminded me that azaleas are a Spring bloom and it was natural for them to die around this time in the summer in the heat. Maybe I didn't screw up?!

hsc2018sig.png

#17 Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores

Bat shaped Chocolate Cookie

• HOL Professor
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

I have ZERO gardening knowledge, so I would certainly have a hard time maintaining a garden. However, I do like the sight of flowers and would love to have a very beautiful garden. I would like to have trees, maybe and apple tree or an orange tree. Regarding flowers, I would certainly like roses, sunflowers, daffodils, pansy, tulips, daisies, birds of paradise and more. I'm not even sure if they can grow together  :P, but I'm sure I would like a very colorful and beautiful mixture of flowers! I would also like to have a fountain right in the middle, and a swing, just to have fun and admire the flowers and the garden. Yes, I'm picturing a big garden, but it's ok to dream a little bit right? :) 

wonderland-siggy3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users