4 replies to this topic

#1 Askeron Kyle

Askeron Kyle

Chocolate Frog, Card #33

• Staff
  • 255 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

I thought that since it is nearly Christmas which is a Christian Celebration, it would be interesting to share how other Religions and people celebrate their Festivals, like Eid, Diwali, Hannukkah and Yule, or others that might be celebrated in different countries around the world.

Christmas for me starts with Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, there is usually a crib on the altar, which depicts the Birth of Jesus in the stable, and the first thing the Priest does at the start of Midnight Mass he puts the Baby Jesus in the manger in the crib. 

Then after singing Christmas Carols during the Mass, at the end of Mass, we all go out into the cold and wish everyone "Happy Christmas" and go home. 

Christmas morning when we get up, my Husband and I exchange gifts under the Christmas Tree, and then we go to our Daughter's house for Christmas Lunch, which is turkey and all the trimmings. we have two Daughters and they take it in turns to host  Christmas at their houses with their families. Everyone has a cracker and we have great fun reading the "jokes" out and of course wearing our hats.  After lunch is the traditional time to open all the presents under the Christmas Tree, and our 3 Grandchildren give them out. We look at what everyone has got, and if there are any toys that need "putting together" my Husband and  my sons in law build them, and have a great time. Then we watch television for a while until its time for Dinner. Afterwards we play board games or just read or watch television, until its time to go home.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Sirius Fudge and Prof. Gustavo Flores like this

Asky1.png

AskyKyle|as483|Hufflepuff|

PostGrad|Pezzie'sHuffieSis|

Hollers|Hufflepuff Staff.

Siggy by Efie

#2 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:29 AM

While I would not call it 'religious', something which is coming up soon, and which I and many other folks like to celebrate, is the time of Solstice.

Whether it is winter solstice or summer solstice, it is the one time of the year where the hours of daylight and the hours of night are the same. This is a wonderment and has a sort of mystery to it.

Those in the Northern hemisphere, like me, are looking forward to having longer hours of sunlight ... and a return of warmer days (sooner or later!). Those of the Southern hemisphere perhaps feel that now they can start winding down to 'winter' ... take care of their crops and bringing in their harvests and enjoying the darker hours.

All kinds of festivities are done all around the world, some of them quite extensive and flamboyant and others are quieter and peaceful, to celebrate this particular time of the year and the Solstice.

• Prof. Felicia Hartwick, Sirius Fudge and Prof. Gustavo Flores like this

Cal_Siggy_Fantastic_Beasts_and_Frank_250

-- Avatar made by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#3 Shiloh Adlar

Shiloh Adlar

8oz Glass of Cherry Syrup with soda and an umbrella

• HOL
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:10 AM

Growing up, my family went to Christmas Eve mass as well. I don't remember much about it except that I thought it was long but beautiful at the same time. I enjoyed the ritual aspect of it. Since my brother passed, my parents still attend, but they didn't make me go with them if I didn't want to which I often didn't. Now, like Tarma, I also look forward to the solstice. I participate in my own ceremony of candle lighting on the Winter Solstice and with the candle lighting, make a list of all of my fears that I want to work on in the next year or beliefs that I want to change.

Because the hours of long nights are over and the day is becoming longer, for me, it is as if the light is given me renewed strength and hope to make it through the next six months. This is why I go through the ceremony/ritual that I do. Once I have written down all of my fears, I burn them one by one while letting them go in doing so. It doesn't have to be only fears, they can also be negative thoughts or beliefs I have about myself or things that have come up that I just need to let go of for whatever reason. However, I try to go as deep as I possibly can with mine.

After the ritual is over, I always feel a lot better. My spirit feels lighter and stronger, and I know I'm ready to face the new year ahead.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Askeron Kyle, Sirius Fudge and 1 other like this

by_tarma_nov_2017.png

The Queen never gives away her shinies!

Thanks Tarma for my awesome Niffler signature!

#4 Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores

Bat shaped Chocolate Cookie

• HOL Professor
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:48 AM

I love this time of the year! In my country, which is Mexico, there is plenty of stuff going around! All the Christmas celebration begin on December 12th, which is the day in which celebrate Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ.

Then we move to December 16th, in which the typical posadas are celebrated. These posadas end on December 24th, making a total of 9 posadas that represent the 9 months pregnancy of Virgin Mary. Basically, a posada is a gathering in which people meet to pray and reflect, in preparation to receive Jesus Christ on Christmas morning, and then have fun as well. People sing and dance, and break the traditional piñatas.

The piñatas also have an amazing symbology. The traditional ones are shaped in the form of a star with 7 peaks. Each peak represent the seven deathly sins. The act of hitting the piñata to break it actually means that you want to get rid of your sins. All the candy and fruit that falls from the piñata once it is broken means the grace of God falling to us, humans. When you are trying to break the piñata you are blind-folded, and that means that you trust God. You see? Breaking a piñata is much more than just hitting a piece of cardboard or clay!

In this time of year we also have the pastorelas, which are Christmas theatre plays. They are comical and the main plot in all of them is the shepherds journey to see Jesus Christ, but on their way, they find the devil who tries to tempt them and commit sin. As you can imagine, the comical situations come right there, but at the end, there's always the angel who saves the shepherd and they finish their journey safely.

Of course we also have the Christmas Eve mass and the Christmas mass. But I love how everything starts much before Christmas :)

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Askeron Kyle and Sirius Fudge like this

wonderland-siggy3.jpg

#5 Sirius Fudge

Sirius Fudge

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Post Graduate
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationBlack Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

Happy HOLidays to everyone!

Christmas in my country starts from September, when carols can already be heard from the radios, train stations. Christmas lights can be seen as early as September. By November, streets are already lit up with many lights. No snow, but we sure get a cold air, wind, and weather. We also have the Misa de Gallo, or the early morning masses, where people attend mass around 4 am for consecutive 9 days before December 25. Reunions and christmas parties happen everywhere, where there are exchange gifts, food and drinks for everyone. With so many things happening, one can easily forget the reason for the season.

25 is spent with family though. But this year, we started this thing. We drove around the city and gave some food and groceries for homeless people we find. We distributed stuff for 20 families, I think. It is not enough but I guess it is something, for a start. Merry Christmas, everyone!  

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Askeron Kyle and Kaitlyn Nightingale like this

Pecan.png

Avatar by Tarma | Signature by Molly | Awesome! 

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users