• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

What a lovely couple of days. Yesterday I woke up to Hedwig's theme playing in my head and yes, it was the 20th anniversary date of the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone!

All kinds of celebrations are held in all kinds of places, including Facebook where, if you type Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw or Harry Potter, a wand magically appears and sheds all kinds of sparks on the page!

But today ...

I've got a bird feeder and all kinds of creatures come visit and feast.  For years I've heard doves but they never came by.  Finally, in April, one came to feed.  :cheer:

This morning, there were TWO doves at the feeder!  Then a little while later, a hummingbird came and perched on a branch about 4 feet from me (where I was sitting in a chair very very quietly).

A gorgeous day.

How is your day?  See any bird or critter people to come and say hi?

EDIT:  I'm thinking I need a bird bath. Something from which they can drink, above ground level.  I have a tray (1-1/2 inches - 2 inches deep and about 14"x14" rectangular) on the ground, but ... something on a stand would be nice. Sure it would freeze in the winter, but then, so does the tray on the ground freeze in the winter and I have to clean out ice and put in fresh each morning.

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, 27 June 2017 - 08:14 PM.
maybe ... need a bird bath on a stand?

• Hanna Inari, Reggy Faraday, Aurelia West and 1 other like this

9.17.2018_The_Silvered_250x100_Cal_purpl

Siggy from cover of The Silvered -- Avatar made by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#2 Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Two Layer Cake with Yellow and Black Layers

• Badger Patrol
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:40 PM

I have 2 bird feeds  and a suet feeder outside my front window. I've seen finches, Blue Jays, sparrows, doves, chickadees, crows and some other smaller black bird. Not to mention squirrels, chipmunks, and my neighbors chickens who wander over to a treat.

I have a hummingbird feeder also on a wrought iron double hook post with a pot of flowers one side and the feeder on the other but I haven't seen a hummingbird yet.

I'm thinking of getting a bird bath as well.... but I have no place for it by the feeders and the one place I would put it ( a small garden on the side of the driveway) may be getting paved over.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black likes this

Fantastic_Beasts_-_Queenie_-_Fels_Siggy_

Come and trim my Christmas tree with  some decorations  bought  at Tiffany's

"You're not quite as scary as you seem." ~ quote by Lilly Anderson 

#3 Polaris Black

Polaris Black

Chocolate Frog, Card #33

• HOL
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Do Ravens ever venture into the big city? I think I saw one trolling for food in a giant waste receptacle but I've never seen one before around here. I would've taken a picture but I was carrying a lot of packages.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black and Sirius Fudge like this
Sig-2018_zps2nf8va1r.jpg
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

#4 Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Box of Godiva Chocolate

• Professor
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

Do Ravens ever venture into the big city? I think I saw one trolling for food in a giant waste receptacle but I've never seen one before around here. I would've taken a picture but I was carrying a lot of packages.

Good question, Polaris.  I don't know - I'd imagine Ravens go wherever they want? 

How lovely for you to see one.  :)   Maybe next time you won't have a lot of packages in your arms and can take a picture.  (Then come post it in here!)

• Sirius Fudge likes this

9.17.2018_The_Silvered_250x100_Cal_purpl

Siggy from cover of The Silvered -- Avatar made by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

#5 Shiloh Adlar

Shiloh Adlar

8oz Glass of Cherry Syrup with soda and an umbrella

• HOL
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

I don't have any bird feeders or anything similar, but there are these two birds that like to sit on the railing of my balcony. I go out there sometimes or watch them through the window. There's also a bird around that I haven't seen, but he sings the same song every day. At first, the song was a little annoying because it was always the same tune repeated over and over. After a while, however, I got used to it. Now I look forward to hearing it every day. If one day I ever don't hear the tune, I'll probably be wondering where the bird flew off to or if he was okay. So far, that hasn't been the case, and I've been hearing it every day for the past two weeks at least.

My aunt has a huge deck that overlooks a mountainside, and she has hummingbird feeders out there. When I visit, I like to sit on the deck and watch them come up. I was there not too long ago, and I was really sad to find out that a day before a snake had made its way up on the deck and found the nest of baby birds that was in the rafters. He ate the eggs. I know it's nature, but it's still very depressing that the soon to be baby birds are gone. I would have liked to see them.

• Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Sirius Fudge and Zai Eln like this

by_tarma_nov_2017.png

The Queen never gives away her shinies!

Thanks Tarma for my awesome Niffler signature!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users